Chubb homeowners insurance review
Premiums can be pricey, but coverage could extend to even your most expensive possessions.
- Get this home insurance if you have extremely valuable possessions you want to protect.
- Look for another provider if you want basic coverage without any bells and whistles.
- Homeowners who need extra coverage for personal property will like Chubb.
All 50 states
- Many coverage options
- Easy to reach in case of a question
- Agents in social media in case help is needed
- Few reviews from customers
- High-cost premiums
- Independent agent required.
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||No|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage|
What home insurance coverage does Chubb offer?
The main homeowners insurance product Chubb offers is called Chubb Masterpiece. As with most homeowners insurance policies, it doesn’t include earthquake or wildfire coverage, but you can add them on separately.
Chubb Masterpiece Homeowners Insurance offers the following coverage options:
- Extended replacement cost. Losses that exceed your policy limit will still be covered, including additional costs from having to update to match modern building codes.
- Temporary living arrangements. You may be able to get put up in a hotel or a similar house to your own while repairs for a covered loss are made.
- Risk consulting. Get fire prevention and security advice while a risk consultant appraises your home to make sure the coverage you have lines up with what you need.
- Cash settlement. If you don’t want to rebuild after a covered loss, you may be able to get a cash settlement up to your policy limit.
- Replacement cost coverage. Upgrades you may have made — such as new flooring or appliances — are also covered at replacement cost, or you can take a cash settlement.
- Additional coverage. What Chubb calls “extras” includes tree removal, key replacement, electronic data recovery and more.
What discounts can I get with Chubb?
The only discount on homeowners insurance Chubb advertises on its website is a portfolio discount for bundling your home insurance with other insurance products it offers. However, discounts for services and products other than your policy may be available.
When you use a preferred service provider in Chubb’s network, you may be able to get a discount on maintenance or loss prevention. Discounts can include:
- Discounts off the retail price of a product or service offered
- Complimentary estimates
- Extras and accessories
- Fee waivers
Pros and cons of Chubb home insurance
Chubb serves affluent individuals, and specializes in insuring high-value items. The typical homeowner probably isn’t going to fall within the target demographic, but if you do, it may be the specialized provider you’ve been looking for.
- Replacement cost used. Rather than using the cost you paid for a belonging or feature and factoring devaluation, Chubb uses the cost to replace it.
- Get cash instead. You have the option to settle in cash up to the value of your policy for a covered loss.
- Preferred service providers. Get discounts with contractors and service providers in Chubb’s network, including free estimates, complimentary extras, coupons and more.
- Limited policy discounts. The only homeowners insurance discount provided is one for bundling your policy with other Chubb products.
- High-cost premiums. Chubb offers products for homeowners with high-value possessions, which means the policies cost more than average.
- Independent agent required. You’ll need to find an independent insurance agent, because you can’t apply directly with Chubb.
How to apply for Chubb home insurance
To apply for homeowners insurance with Chubb, you’ll have to go through an independent agent. You can find a local independent agent in your area that works with Chubb by following these steps:
- Go to the Chubb website
- Select Individuals and families then Home
- Click Homeowners insurance
- Scroll down and enter your ZIP code under Find an agent
- Compare local agents and contact the one you’d like to work with
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Chubb?
While Chubb doesn’t have a complete list of what you’ll need on its website, there are some standard items most providers require when you apply for homeowners insurance.
- Applicant’s name and date of birth
- Email address and phone number
- Number of people living at the address
- Whether it’s a primary or secondary address
- Whether there’s a business at the address
- Building details including square footage, built-in appliances, number of stories and additional structures
- Safety features installed including carbon monoxide monitoring, fire extinguishers, smoke directors and antitheft protection
How do I make a claim with Chubb?
You have a few options when making a claim with Chubb.
- Online using the Chubb website or client portal
- By phone at 800-252-4670
- By fax at 800-300-2538
- Through your local agent or broker
Alternatives to Chubb
If you’re looking to insure what’s priceless, but not necessarily expensive, you may want to check out other providers.
Chubb’s Homeowners Insurance is designed for the owners of fine homes and high-value possessions, providing peace of mind and security when you need it most. It’s a tough competitor but not unmatched, so compare your homeowners insurance options before applying.