It’s truly the thought that counts.
Elderly people have celebrated many Christmases and received many gifts over the years. So how do you pick a present that stands out? It really is the thought that counts. Candles, chocolates and books might seem like mundane gifts, but they can be perfect if you make them personal. Try finding their favorite boutique chocolates, a designer-scented candle, a hardcover classic novel or these other thoughtful gift ideas.
Top Christmas gift picks for the elderly 2018
Something small and thoughtful can go a long way to show a grandparent, neighbor or other retiree how much they’re loved. You truly don’t have to spend a fortune on a gift — just make it personal and heartfelt and they’re sure to love it.
Hand and Body Lotions
A nourishing hand cream is a thoughtful and useful gift for an elder.
'Creme de Corps' Soy Milk & Honey Whipped Body Butter
Aveeno Indulgent Scents Gift Pack
Soap And Glory Hand Food Hand Cream
Who doesn’t love chocolate, especially around the holidays?
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels
48 Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut Chocolates
Green & Black's Chocolate Library Gift Set - Dark Collection
A beautiful scented candle is a great gift idea for the older, house-proud generation.
Woodwick Fireside Candle
Candlefish Candle Tin
White Wood Number One Flammable Scented Candle
Jigsaw puzzles are a great activity when you have lots of free time. Plus, they are a great family activity for grandparents and grandkids.
Star Wars 40th Anniversary Use the Force Puzzle
Aquarius Star Trek Federation Ships Puzzle (1500 Piece)
The Eighties - White Mountain Puzzles
These whisky themed items make for the perfect classy gift.
Corkcicle Whiskey Wedge
The Essential Scratch & Sniff Guide to Becoming a Whiskey Know-It-All
Set of 9 Grey Whiskey Chilling Rocks
Cookbooks make great gifts for elderly people who love socializing over food.
Jamie Oliver's Great Britain
NOPI: The Cookbook
Barnes & Noble
The Instant Pot: Cookbook
It’s no secret that retirees love to golf. These gifts are perfect for an avid golfer.
Cool Cat Golf Balls Set
The Secret of Golf
Golf Push Cart by CaddyTek
Why not gift a hardcover copy of a well-loved classic? A beautifully designed hardcover book works as a decor accessory as well as a treasured read.
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
Jane Austen - Pride & Prejudice
The Harper Lee Collection: To Kill a Mockingbird + Go Set a Watchman
If you really want to splurge, a cruise is the way to go. This is a thoughtful gift that will forge lifelong memories.Back to top
How to pick the best Christmas gift for the elderly
When you’re holiday shopping for seniors, take a moment to really think about what they could use to make their lives easier, or what they might want to help them enjoy their golden years. When in doubt, default to these tips:
- Go for something practical. Seniors probably have all the gadgets and knick-knacks they could ever want, so try to think of something more useful. A jar opener? Electronic wine bottle opener?
- Don’t get too techy with your gift, unless you know your recipient is savvy with the latest technology. He or she might be more comfortable sticking with their trusty flip phone than upgrading
- You can’t go wrong with sentimental. Photo gifts are great picks for grandparents, older neighbors and other seniors.
What can I get older people who have everything?
They’ve worked hard, so there’s no reason why they shouldn’t treat themselves to whatever is they want or need. But this can make Christmas shopping for older people challenging. Still, we’ve got some top-notch ideas:
- A donation made in their name to a charity they love.
- Time spent with them — whether that’s a day trip, tickets to a movie or a full-blown family vacation.
- Scrapbook or other heartfelt memory gift.
- Digital key finder.
- Monthly flower delivery or subscription box.
What are the best DIY Christmas gifts for the elderly?
Grandparents and other elderly people on your shopping list love nothing more than getting a treasured hand-made gift from their loved ones.
- Photo gifts, like DIY photo coasters or vintage canvas.
- Crafts made by the grandkids. Have your kids create fun Christmas crafts to give to their grandparents and really watch their faces light up.
- All-natural soaps, scrubs and lotions. Whip up a batch or two of homemade, all-natural pampering products for your loved one.
- Food gift basket. Put together a kitchen pantry gift basket for the older foodie in your life. Maybe there’s a special store you know they like to shop at but that’s hard for them to get to. Stock up on their favorite goodies and wrap them up in a decorative basket or useful tin.
Top gift cards for the elderly
In a pinch for time or still stuck for ideas this Christmas? A gift card for their favorite retailer, store or restaurant is sure to be appreciated.