Amtrak deals on train tickets from $39 one way
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Cheap train tickets
Coupons and deals from Amtrak, Eurail, Omio, Wanderu and more.
Train rides can be a convenient and enjoyable way to get from point A to point B — especially if you get a window seat. To score cheap train tickets, you’ll need to be strategic about planning your trip, opting for off-peak travel times and hunting for discounts to apply at checkout. Our team of travel experts uses sites like Wanderu and Omio to compare train tickets for sale in the US, Europe, Asia and beyond, since you can filter by price, rail company, destination and more.
Current deals on train tickets
If you’re planning a trip outside the US, bear in mind that many countries have placed restrictions on US tourists. Check the US embassy website for updates before booking international travel.
How much are train tickets?
Train tickets between US cities in the same state usually cost between $10 and $40. Otherwise, tickets vary widely in price. For instance, a ticket from Atlanta, GA to Jacksonville, FL costs about $100, while a ticket from LA to Chicago is closer to $200 on average.
Prices for train tickets are similar overseas, though it depends on where you are. In China, you can travel between Beijing to Shanghai nonstop for about $90. And if you want to get from Paris, France to Geneva, Switzerland, you’ll pay about $110 per ticket.
- The best way to see how much your train tickets will cost is to use a site like Omio, which can show you average rates in just a few clicks.
Countries or regions that have extensive railways for passengers, like Japan and the EU, have passes you can buy that cover train travel on select routes over a specific period of time. A seven-day rail pass in Japan costs about $413, while a Global Eurail Pass — which covers over 40,000 destinations in Europe — starts at $221.
- If you’re on a continent where train travel is popular, compare the price of one-off tickets and passes to see the most cost-efficient option for your itinerary.
The cost of your train ticket depends on:
- When you’re traveling. Like plane tickets and car rentals, train tickets are cheapest when you travel during “off peak” times. For example, routes that leave early in the morning or late at night are generally cheapest, while train tickets for regular commuter hours are pricier. For the cheapest train tickets, travel during weekdays and gird yourself for odd hours.
- Where you’re going. If you have some flexibility with your travel plans, play around with your destination to see where tickets are cheapest. Sometimes big cities like Chicago, NYC or LA cost more to visit via train than smaller towns — but not always. Try a few different destinations to see where tickets are cheapest.
- How far you’re traveling. Shorter train rides are usually cheaper. For example, a 15-minute train ride from Newark, NJ to Penn Station in NYC costs about $13 on average, while a 2.5-hour train ride from LA to San Diego costs about $36.
- The rail company. Just like airlines, there are budget rail companies and more upscale rail companies. If you’re traveling in a country that has lots of different rail companies operating similar routes, a site like Omio or Wanderu can help you filter your search by lowest to highest price, so that you can see the cheapest train tickets right away.
- Deals and discounts. Many rail companies have discounts for seniors, military members and their families, kids and passengers with disabilities. For example, kids between the ages of 2 and 12 ride for free on Amtrak. Don’t book your train ticket without looking for deals or coupon codes that could save you extra money.
More guides on Finder
6 reasons why you’ll want the Luxury Card Mastercard® Black Card™
Because your time is priceless.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Get 50% off flights with Frontier Airlines’ flash sale — ends Thursday
In addition to great deals, the airline just launched 16 new routes for nonstop travel from $39.
Best airline credit cards of 2021
Have your sights set on travel this year? We compared nearly 100 cards to find the best deals and perks.
The best Travel Tuesday deals happening right now
25% best Travel Tuesday deals happening now.
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
12 Airbnb boats you can stay in
7 Airbnb boats you can stay on, from yachts to houseboats.
Does insurance cover camping?
From bears to boats, know when your campout could use protection to cover all the possibilities.
Airbnb cabins to rent in the US
7 cabins you can book on Airbnb with breathtaking views — starting from $88 nightly.
Hagerty classic car insurance review July 2021
Hagerty sets the bar on wide classic car coverage with thousands of positive customer reviews to back it up.
Ask an Expert