Need money but don’t want to pay too much for the convenience of a short term loan? Find out how to secure a cheap short term loan that meets your needs.
Short term loans, also referred to as payday loans, can be a convenient form of credit when you need it, but they also tend to be much more expensive than other loans.
Most states have restrictions on the fees and interest short term loan providers can to charge, but some short term lenders in the same state may be more affordable than others. Comparing your options can help you avoid high fees and slower processing times.
Check into Cash Loans
Check into Cash allows you to directly apply for a payday loan and have your cash when you need it.
- Min. Loan Amount: $50
- Loan Term: Varies by state
- Turnaround Time: 1–2 business days
- Total Costs: Varies depending on the amount and your state of residency.
- Must be 18+
- No security needed
- Confidential and secure!
A selection of cheap short term loans you can apply for
Check the websites of any providers you’re interested in to confirm they operate in your state of residence.
How do these loans work?
A cheap short term loan is one that charges lower interest rates and lower fees when compared to similar loans. In most cases, states have regulations in place that keep these costs below a certain level. Some lenders may have smaller fees and lower APRs below the legal upper limit of the state to remain competitive.
For example, short term lenders in New Hampshire can charge an annual rate of up to 36% for short term loans, but you may find lenders who are willing to charge you less. This would qualify as a cheap short term loan. Knowing the regulations of your state can help you identify lenders that are charging fewer fees and have a lower APR.
Some states don’t allow payday loans. In this case, there are other options if you need extra money.
What features come with a cheap short term loan?
When you’re comparing your cheap short term loan options, lenders will generally have the following features:
- Lower APR. Short term loans charge interest in the form on an APR, which varies from one lender to the next. Cheap short term loans charge lower interest, although the APR may still be high when compared to other credit products from a traditional bank or through a credit card.
- Fees. Keep an eye out for late fees, loan refinancing fees and fees for receiving approved funds through a debit card. While state regulations govern how much short term lenders can charge and if you can refinance, these differ between states and some states don’t have any regulations at all.
- Online application and approval. If you’re looking to apply, you can submit your application online. You generally won’t be required to fax any documents over and the turnaround time is quick, usually within a few hours or by the next business day.
- Bad credit applicants accepted. If you have bad credit, you can still apply for a cheap short term loan. The lender is mainly concerned that you will be able to repay the loan so having a regular income is the key when you’re looking to be approved.
Benefits and drawbacks
- Multiple options. There are a number of direct short term lenders available for comparison online and loan-matching services who can find a lender for you.
- Apply from anywhere. Most short term lenders in the US have an online presence, and there are plenty of options if you’d like to apply in-store. Whatever your preference, it’s easy to apply and get the funds you need.
- Bad credit is OK. Short term lenders generally lend to bad credit applicants, and you can find lenders who do not report to the three main credit reporting agencies so borrowing won’t affect your credit.
- Fees. Even though these are considered the cheaper short term loan options, short term loans are still an expensive form of credit. Watch out for high APRs and extra fees for late payments or refinancing your loan.
- Short repayment schedules. You don’t have much time to repay a short term loan. Most lenders require the entire amount be repaid within a 30-day period.
- Disreputable lenders. There are many disreputable lenders operating online who prey on people with bad credit so make sure you evaluate the lender before you apply.
Is there anything you should avoid?
Repaying a loan later than scheduled might cause you to pay considerably high late fees, NSF charges and loan refinancing fees, which can all negatively impact your credit rating.
A good way to find out about all applicable fees and charges is to review your loan’s terms and conditions carefully. If you don’t think you’ll be able to repay your loan on time, it’s best not to take it out in the first place. All reputable lenders will provide all information on your loan contract, and if you don’t agree, you don’t have to sign it.
Frequently asked questions about cheap short term loans
Can I find cheap payday lenders in every state?
No. Payday loans are prohibited in some states. Check the payday loan regulations in your state to see if there any restrictions before applying.
What is the maximum amount I can borrow?
This depends on your state of your residence, the lender’s terms and your credit. Because every lender has different rules, it’s best to check before you apply.
What requirements do I have to meet to get a short term loan?
You must be a US citizen or permanent resident, meet state-specific minimum age requirements and be able to demonstrate an ability to repay the loan. In addition, some online lenders require you to provide a valid bank account.
Are there lenders that offer loans with no bank account required?
Yes. Some lenders offer other ways to receive your funds such as depositing the money onto a prepaid debit card or allowing you to pick up cash in-store.
What is a payday loan?
Is there anything I should know before taking out a cash advance?
There are a few things you should know about cash advances in order to make the right decision for you and your family. First, you should generally only take out a cash advance in emergency situations because this type of loan is typically a short-term, one-time solution. If you have structural financial problems that cause you to have difficulty repaying debts, you should consider credit counseling.
Second, you’ll want to make sure you can repay your cash advance in a timely manner. Missing the due date on your repayment will result in additional charges. Avoid digging yourself into a deeper financial hole by taking on debt you can’t afford.
Third, before accepting a cash advance, be sure to read the lender’s terms and conditions carefully. It’s important to read the fine print so you know exactly what you are paying and when it is due.
Can I repay my loan early?
This depends on the individual lender. When reviewing your loan contract, be sure to voice this question as some payday loan lenders charge extra fees for early repayment.
How long will it take for me to receive approved funds?
Funds are usually deposited into your bank account on the next business day. It ultimately depends on the lender and your bank.
Will a late payment on a loan affect my credit?
What happens if I know my payment will be late?
The best solution is to contact your loan provider and inform them. Usually, the lender will be willing to extend the payment deadline and find ways to help you through difficult financial times.