We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Compare cheap motorcycle insurance
Find the lowest rates with the best coverage for your bike
You can save a lot on motorcycle insurance by hunting for discounts and lowering your deductible — but make sure you still have the coverage you need to protect yourself and your bike.
- A variety of coverage and add-ons.
- Many discounts available.
- Rewards responsible riders.
Best for bikes: Progressive motorcycle insurance
Get protection for any kind of bike with this big-name provider. Enjoy discounts galore plus cheap rates and free perks designed for bikers.
- Low starting rates.
- Many free perks and cheap add-ons.
- Vintage and antique bike coverage.
Get quotes for cheap motorcycle insurance
How to get cheap motorcycle insurance
You can acquire a cheap insurance policy in several ways. However, keep in mind that these methods may not protect you from paying out of pocket after an accident:
- Choose a cheap provider. Look for the lowest rates when comparing insurance companies, but make sure coverage is equivalent across policies.
- Look for multiple discounts. Some companies offer multiple discounts you might qualify for. When you get an online quote, select every feature and benefit that applies to you.
- Opt for minimal coverage. Keep your policy simple with the most basic protection, such as liability and collision.
- Lower your policy limits. You can choose a lower limit that will pay for damages in most situations. For the cheapest insurance, set your minimums to the lowest required for your state.
- Raise your deductible. Give yourself more financial responsibility upfront before your coverage kicks in. But make sure you can pay your deductible after an accident.
- Keep a clean record. Safe drivers can find reasonable and discounted rates at many insurance companies. If you have tickets or accidents on your record, take a defensive driving course to prove you’re focused on safe driving now.
- Add more security. Anti-theft devices or parking in a garage will save on your premiums.
- Ride less. Lower your mileage or let your insurer know you only ride occasionally to save.
- Choose your ride carefully. Cheaper bikes will have cheaper insurance. A new Harley will cost more to insure than a slightly used Kawasaki.
How to get cheap motorbike insurance for young riders
Unfortunately, insurance companies see young motorcycle riders as higher risk than seasoned pros. Try some of these tactics to get a more affordable deal as a young rider.
- Think before you buy your bike. Brand-spanking new and powerful motorbikes will cost more to insure. Opt for a smaller or older bike to keep insurance costs down.
- Ride responsibly. Keeping a clean record by driving safely and staying within the speed limit will help you cut costs in time.
- Take a driving course. Get a motorcycle certificate to help push your insurance premiums down.
- Pay upfront. Try to pay in an annual lump sum, as insurers hit monthly payers with higher prices.
Is cheap motorcycle insurance worth it?
Getting a cheap policy on your bike can be good for your wallet, but the lowered rate could mean more out-of-pocket costs later.
You might have to compromise important coverage to get the cheapest motorcycle insurance. With a cheap insurance policy, you may have to pay a high deductible or cover out-of-pocket damages that exceed the coverage you chose. You may have to cover your own bike’s damages even when another driver is at fault if you forgo underinsured motorist protection.
Are there any alternatives to cheap insurance?
You may get the coverage you need if you simply choose to find discounts or maintain a clean driving record instead of dropping coverage. For example, instead of going with the absolute cheapest rate with bare minimum coverage, you could receive multiple safety discounts at a top-rated company while balancing the coverage you need with a little extra protection for you and your savings.
Who should get the absolute cheapest motorcycle insurance?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance is $519 per year, or $43 per month, depending on your location. You can consider anything less than this to be cheap insurance.
Cheap motorcycle insurance works best for drivers who:
- Need standard or minimal coverage only
- Have enough money to cover accident damages on their own
- Ride an older bike that’s worth less than an annual insurance policy
- Have a strict budget or fixed income
What’s included with cheap motorcycle insurance?
Cheap motorcycle insurance can include a variety of coverage. However, the more optional coverage you add, the higher your policy will be. In addition, most states require a minimum amount of liability coverage.
Standard insurance coverage for a cheap policy includes:
- Bodily injury liability. Pay medical bills for the other driver and passengers involved in an accident where you’re at fault.
- Property damage liability. Take responsibility for vehicle damage to other drivers during an at-fault accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Get coverage, even if the faulted driver can’t pay for your damages. Required in many states.
Cheap motorcycle insurance in action
Sharon needed to keep her motorcycle premium low but knew she couldn’t sacrifice quality service to do so. She opted for a standard policy that balances cost with coverage from a top-rated motorcycle insurance brand.
Her policy includes liability coverage with a lower limit that would still cover moderate accident damage. She also opted to raise her deductible for add-ons like comprehensive and collision coverage. Sharon was able to get her annual premium to $300 per year, saving $200 from the average annual cost.
When Sharon rear-ended another car on the highway, she had enough liability to cover the minor damage to the other driver’s bumper. However, she had to pay all the damages to her motorcycle due to her high collision deductible. Sharon had enough money in savings to cover the repairs, but realized that a lower deductible would have saved her money throughout the claim.
What’s not covered by cheap motorcycle insurance?
If you go with cheap liability-only insurance, the cheapest motorcycle insurance policy might not cover certain situations, such as:
- Minor roadside repairs like fluid delivery, battery jumpstart or tire changes
- Major accident damages
- Medical payments
- Accidents caused by underinsured drivers
- Loan or lease payments left over after your motorcycle gets totaled
- Damage to optional or safety equipment, like extra chrome, new paint or your helmet
- Transport or tow-behind trailer damage
Getting a cheap motorcycle policy works well if you understand the risk you’re taking with reduced coverage. A cheap policy may not protect you from paying expenses out of pocket after an accident. However, you can also obtain a lowered rate through discounts and a clean driving history.
Compare motorcycle insurance options that work best for your situation.
Frequently asked questions
Image from: Shutterstock
Ask an Expert