Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card vs. Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card
Two excellent travel cards, though for different levels of enthusiasts.
Updated . What changed?
Which card should you choose?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Signup bonus. Earn 60,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in your first 3 months when you open your account. That's $750 in value when redeemed for travel purchases via the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
- Earn reward points. Every time you use your card toward travel and dining purchases, you earn 2x points. All other purchases earn 1x points.
- Point transfer. You can transfer your points in 1:1 ratio with Chase's hotel and airline partners, including British Airways, Air France KLM, Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, IHG, Marriott and World of Hyatt.
Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card
- You won't pay an annual fee to own the card.
- Earn a flat 1.5x miles on your purchases.
- Discover will match your miles earned at the end of your first year.
The winner: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Between the two cards, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers the earning power and flexibility to make it the clear pick. While the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card requires an annual fee, the value you’ll get for using the card far outweighs the cost. With that said, the Discover it isn’t a poor choice if you want a simpler travel card with no annual fee.
Neither card strike your fancy? You have a plethora of travel cards to choose from. Check out your options from other providers to start comparing.
Ask an Expert