Central Insurance car insurance review
This small but mighty provider prides itself in its customer-centric approach to auto insurance.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you have a good driving history to get the best rates.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in the Southeast.
- Best for drivers who want to meet with an agent face-to-face.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone, in-person|
|New car protection||No|
- Quality customer service
- Bad driving history OK
- Difficult to compare with different terms for coverage
- Potentially high rates
- Available in 20 states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Central Insurance offers comprehensive auto insurance plans for everyone, even drivers with prior accidents. It’s known for superb customer service and attention to customers, including the myCentral mobile app and online payment system.
However, you can’t apply online and most of your correspondence will be through your local agent, which isn’t all that convenient. Plus, if you don’t live in one of the 20 states it services, you may need to compare other car insurers.
Where is Central car insurance available?
Headquartered in Van Wert, Ohio and established in 1876, Central Insurance operates through more than 400 independent agencies across 20 states to provide quality, customized coverage. It offers competitive pricing on flexible auto insurance policies, and with more than 350,000 active policies, it boasts an impressive reach for its modest size.
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
What coverage does Central Insurance offer?
- Liability coverage. Protects your legal liability if you injure someone or damage someone else’s property in an accident.
- Medical payments coverage. If you or a passenger is injured in a car accident, get help with medical bills — regardless of who’s at fault.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists coverage. When a driver at fault for your accident doesn’t have insurance — or enough of it — to cover your medical bills and damages, this coverage kicks in.
- Collision coverage. This covers damages to your car caused by an automobile accident, regardless of who was at fault.
- Other-than-collision coverage. Takes care of direct accidental loss not excluded by your policy, like theft, vandalism, glass breakage, wind, fire, hail or flood.
Discounts available on Central auto insurance
Central offers a wide range of discounts and credits that can help reduce the cost of your auto insurance policy. Here are a few of the many discounts available:
- New Teen Driver Family Loyalty Discount. Receive a discount based on how long you’ve been a customer when you add a teen driver to your auto policy
- Driver Training. Customers can earn a credit for completion of an approved driver education course
- Good Student. Full-time students who maintain a B average or are in the top 20 percent of their class will receive discounted premiums.
- Elite New Policy Discount. Receive a discount on a new policy if you carry higher liability limits and have no accidents, a high insurance score, and minimal traffic violations.
- Paid in Full. Receive a 5% discount when you choose to pay your auto premium annually.
- Package Credit. Receive a discount if you have both auto and home insurance with Central.
- Payment Timeliness. Receive a credit on your renewed policies if you’ve had no cancellation notices for non-payment.
Pros and cons of Central auto insurance
- A.M. Best “A” Excellent rating. Serving 20 states and thousands of customers, Central Insurance exceeds its ability to meet its insurance obligations.
- Quality customer service. Central Insurance customer service reps are available 24/7. Agents pride themselves on customer accessibility, so you can give them a call directly too.
- Bad driving history OK. Although their rates may be higher, Central Insurance accepts riskier drivers that other companies might not. If you’ve had difficulty finding an auto insurer, Central Insurance could be a good fit.
- Unfamiliar language. Central Insurance confusingly refers to its coverage using different terms. For example, it calls comprehensive insurance “physical damage.” Read the details so that you’re clear on what you’re signing up for.
- Potentially high rates. Central Insurance can be expensive — especially if your driving history isn’t perfect.
- Inconsistency among agents. Because Central Insurance agents are independent, the specifics of your policy can vary among them, making it difficult to research your best deal ahead of time.
- Limited service. Central Insurance is licensed to do business in 20 Northeast, Southeast and Southwest states only.
- No online application. Unfortunately, this provider doesn’t allow you to apply for coverage online. Instead, you’ll need to locate your nearest agent and visit them in person.
Compare alternatives to Central car insurance
Central auto insurance customer reviews
Unfortunately, Central Insurance is not listed on Trustpilot or the official BBB website. However, on other online forums, reviews are a mixed bag. Some customers report trouble with denied claims and billing issues, while others are quite satisfied with Central, praising it for great discounts and customer service.
How to apply for Central auto insurance
Applying for auto insurance coverage with Central is a bit more tricky than with other providers. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to apply online or by phone, since policies are issues through independent agents. Instead, you’ll need to locate your nearest agent and visit them in person to set up a new policy.
What do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including zip code
- Social security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle registration
- Financial information
How to file a claim with Central auto insurance
Filing a claim with central insurance is easy and can be done 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can file a claim on the website, myCentral app, by phone, or in person, but you’ll need a MyCentral account to report it online.
Once you’ve set up a new policy, ask your agent how to set up online access. Once you have access to your myCentral account, you can either log in and navigate to the claims section or visit the home page and enter your user ID to report a claim.
If you have the myCentral app setup, simply open it up and tap the “report a loss” button. Have your information nearby and proceed through each of the steps to file your claim.
How do I contact Central Insurance?
You can reach Central insurance online, by phone, or in person through your local agent. You can also find buttons at the top of Central’s website that will direct you to its various social media pages.
Frequently asked questions about Central Insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.