Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare the best ceiling fans
Stay cool with the right fan for your space and budget.
When choosing a ceiling fan, you first need to know the dimensions of your room. Then, consider how many blades you want, what material you prefer and the price point. Finally — and this part’s important — have fun with it.
Best budget ceiling fan:
Hugger 52″ LED
This five-blade ceiling fan with walnut and maple finish is not only budget-friendly, it’s also perfect for smaller spaces since it “hugs” the ceiling. Its sleek design fits with a wide range of home styles and its light fixtures and finish come in five different colors.
Best high-end ceiling fan:
Big Ass Fans Haiku
The Big Ass Fans Haiku is a modern smart fan with all the bells and whistles. It comes with SenseME technology, which uses sensors to automatically adjust to one of seven different speeds based on environmental conditions. SenseME technology also allows you to customize and save your favorite settings. Use the remote to control your fan, or pair it with your smartphone or home voice control device.
- Smart technology integration
- Energy efficient
- Indoor and outdoor use
- 7 speeds
- Price: from $995
- Where to buy: Big Ass Fans, Amazon
Best fan for outdoors:
The Hunter Rainsford is ETL wet-rated for use in both covered and non-covered outdoor spaces. It comes with five waterproof plastic blades that can handle direct contact with water and rust-proof stainless steel finishings built to withstand even the harshest weather conditions. With three speeds and a reversible motor, the Hunter Maribel can be used all year round.
- Waterproof plastic blades
- Reversible motor
- 3 speeds
- Three-position mounting system
- Price: $150
- Where to buy: Home Depot, Amazon
Best fan for bedrooms:
Emerson Prima Snugger
The Emerson Prima Snugger is perfect for bedroom use thanks to its superior air circulation, four-speed wall and remote controls and compact size.
- Maximum air movement
- Four speeds
- Energy efficient
- Price: $240
- Where to buy: Amazon, Walmart
Best fan for low ceilings:
Lucci Airfusion Radar
The Lucci Airfusion Radar has one of the lowest profiles of any ceiling fan on the market, with a short drop of only about 7.5 inches. A reversible motor allows you to use the fan year-round and a remote control makes it easy to adjust it no matter where you are. The Lucci Airfusion Radar is rated for indoor use only and is quiet enough to be used in bedrooms.
Most sustainable fan:
Big Ass Fans Haiku Series 52 in Bamboo
At its highest setting, this fan has a power consumption of 31.94 watts, which is lower than many incandescent light bulbs. If you leave the room, the fan will shut off automatically to save energy.
- Rated one of Energy Star’s most energy-efficient fans
- Made from sustainable Moso bamboo
- Smart technology and integrated sensors reduce energy use
- Price: $995
- Where to buy: Big Ass Fans, Amazon
Most popular ceiling fan:
Hunter 53091 Builder Deluxe
This ceiling fan is one of Amazon’s top-rated best-sellers. It has a virtually noiseless WhisperWind motor, attractive lighting fixtures and beautiful cherry-stained oak blades — all at a budget-friendly price point.
AC vs DC
Alternating current (AC) motors are the most common type of motor in ceiling fans, but direct current (DC) motors are becoming more popular.
|AC (Alternating current)|
|DC (Direct current)|
How to choose the best ceiling fan
The price of ceiling fans generally ranges from around $50 to $1,500 or more and depends on size, material, finish and brand.
When looking for a ceiling fan, the first thing you need to do is measure the room where you’re going to install it.
Additional features to consider:
- Reversible rotation. While fans help move warm air around a room in winter, this is only the case for those with reversible motors. If you experience cold winters and want this handy feature, look for fans that offer reversible rotation.
- Remote control. Remote controls are often included with newer fans. And some smart fans automatically turn on and off based on temperature and can be controlled by an app installed on a smart device or connected to a smart speaker.
- Light. Many ceiling fans come with options for integrated lights. If you want ceiling lighting for a room, look for fans with built-in lights.
- Weatherproofing. If you’re installing your ceiling fan in an outdoor area, get one with waterproofing and protection. Keep in mind, though, that even a weather-resistant fan cannot be exposed directly to water and needs at least two walls to shield the it from the elements.
Ceiling fans vs air conditioners
Whether you choose a ceiling fan or an air conditioner will depend on what you expect from your cooling device and how much you’re willing to pay.
Pros and cons
Many people find using both a ceiling fan and air conditioner in tandem works well. Once the air conditioner cools the room, a ceiling fan can help circulate the colder air. You can then turn your air conditioner to a lower setting or turn it off entirely.
What to consider when buying and using a ceiling fan
- Ceiling fans can be loud. If you want a quiet fan, try to view it in motion before you buy it. Read user reviews to see if anyone mentions noise level. If your fan is noisy due to excess wobbling, a fan balancing kit could help.
- Maintenance. If you want your ceiling fan to last a long time, you need to care for it and clean it regularly. Dust collected on the top of blades can spread around the room and worsen allergies, asthma and other conditions.
- Energy consumption. Since ceiling fans don’t actually lower room temperature, they’ll only be effective while you’re in the room. When you leave a room, turn off your ceiling fan to help reduce energy consumption.
Compare top ceiling fans for 2020
|Finish||Blade sweep (inches)||Reversible rotation?||Purchase|
|Hugger 52″ LED||$60.46||Brushed nickel, Matt black||52||Yes|
|Big Ass Fans Haiku||$675.00||Cocoa/black||52||No|
|Hunter Rainsford||$119.99||White, Oak, Cherry||52||Yes|
|Emerson Prima Snugger||$199.00||Black, Red, Silver, White||52||Yes|
|Lucci Airfusion Radar||$251.93||White||52||Yes|
|Big Ass Fans Haiku Series 52 in Bamboo||$279.95||Timber, Silver, White||52||No|
|Hunter 53091 Builder Deluxe||$119.00||Brushed nickel, Textured bronze||60||Yes|
Ceiling fans can be an energy-efficient way to cool down in the summer and circulate heat in the winter. Compare your options based on indoor/outdoor ratings, the size of the room, additional features and price.
How did we choose these products?
We considered factors such as indoor/outdoor ratings, size, price, energy-efficiency and extra features to create our list of the best ceiling fans. We also took our own online research into consideration.
See our latest home appliance deals and coupons
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Famous houses you can rent on Airbnb
Rent homes featured on classic TV shows and movies, from Twilight to Breaking Bad.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
A beginner’s guide to retinol skincare products
Discover how this derivative of vitamin A affects your skin — and see our top picks.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
The 10 best face masks for every need
Looking for the best face mask for kids? How about people with beards or those who wear glasses? See our top 10 lineup of the best masks available right now.
Best time to visit Yellowstone National Park
Guide to Yellowstone, including cost and transportation options.
Top 25+ made-in-USA grills
Grills, smokers and more built with premium materials and best-in-class design, right here in the USA. We verified every brand on our list of top picks.
Top 20 candle brands made in the USA
Support American businesses with a hand-poured, high-quality candle from the heartland. Find our top 5 brand picks for scents that are all-American.
Top 30+ neckties and bow ties made in the USA
Shop these brands that are dedicated to small-batch production. See our top picks of the best neckties and bow ties made here in the USA.
Top 15 American-made furniture brands
Finding handcrafted pieces from the heartland could be easier than you think.
Ask an Expert