Where to find fast cash in Space City and what you need to know.
Can I get a payday loan in Houston?
You can. However, Houston is one of a number of Texas cities that has additional regulations on top of Texas state law. Here’s what you can expect in Houston:
- Maximum amount: 20% of your monthly income before taxes.
- Maximum APR: None.
- Maximum term for loans under $100: Six months per $10 borrowed.
- Maximum term for loans over $100: Six months per $20 borrowed.
On top of this, you also can’t refinance ore renew a loan more than three times. After that, you can’t take out another loan within seven days of paying off your loan.
Other short-term loans in Houston
In addition to payday loans, you can also get an installment loan or a title loan.
- Installment loans. Houston residents can pay off a short-term loan in up to four monthly installments with no option to renew.
- Title loans. Borrow up to 3% of your annual income before taxes or 70% of your vehicle’s current retail value by backing your loan with your car’s title.
A selection of loans for Houston residents
What do I need to apply?
Though it varies by lender, you have to meet these eligibility criteria to get a payday loan in Houston:
- You’re at least 18 years of age
- You’re an American citizen or a legal resident of this country
- You have a steady source of income
To complete the application successfully you’ll also typically have to provide some basic personal information, including:
- Your name, residential address, email address and phone number
- Your date of birth, Social Security number and details from a valid form of ID such as your passport or driver’s license
- Details about your employment and income
Where to get a payday loan in Houston
Payday loan locations near me in Houston, TX
- Texas Car Title & Payday Loan Services, Inc. 12817 Aldine Westfield Rd, Houston, TX 77039
- Check ‘n Go. 6348 Telephone Rd, Houston, TX 77087
- Advance America. 453 Uvalde Rd, Houston, TX 77015
- Cash Store. 7844 W Tidwell Rd #100, Houston, TX 77040
- Power Finance Texas. 11811 North Fwy #415, Houston, TX 77060
- Your Loan Depot. 7418 Airline Dr Suite Y, Houston, TX 77076
Be cautious of high APRs
Since Houston doesn’t have any restrictions on payday loan fees, they can be extremely expensive — think APRs from 200% to 500%. And with the option to renew your loan up to three times, these costs can start to add up fast if you can’t pay it back on time.
What are the costs of a cash advance in Houston?
There are two costs you need to consider when getting a cash advance in Houston: Interest and fees. Texas state law caps interest rates at 10% but doesn’t limit how much a lender can charge in fees. Houston doesn’t have any city laws limiting interest or fees.
Without limits on fees, the limit on interest doesn’t do much to protect borrowers from high APRs, which takes both interest and fees into account. How much you pay depends on your lender but triple-digit APRs are generally the norm.
Frequently asked questions