Filing for SR22 insurance in Wisconsin- what you need to know

Filing for SR-22 insurance in Wisconsin

If you’re convicted of a crime in Wisconsin that results in the suspension of your license, you might be required to file an SR-22 certificate. Sometimes referred to as SR-22 insurance, it’s actually a form filed with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

An SR-22 certifies that you have at least the minimum liability insurance required by Wisconsin law. And it must be filed before the state will reinstate your license.

Here’s what you need to know about obtaining and maintaining an SR-22 certificate in the Badger State.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Do I need SR-22 insurance?

You might be required to file an SR-22 in Wisconsin if your license is suspended or revoked for:

  • Operating a vehicle while under the influence.
  • Reckless driving.
  • Multiple accidents or speeding tickets.

What if I don’t have a car or a license?

If you don’t own a car but plan to drive, you’re required to obtain non-owner insurance and file an SR-22.

During the period your license is suspended, you don’t need to acquire insurance or file an SR-22 if you don’t intend to drive.

What if I’m from another state?

If you have an SR-22 from another state, you must maintain it while driving in Wisconsin. Your existing SR-22 is likely sufficient enough in Wisconsin, but verify coverage with the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation and your insurer to be sure.

How much does an SR-22 cost?

The fee your provider charges for filing the SR-22 can range from $20 to $50. However, it’s not the filing fee that’s most expensive when you’re required to file an SR-22 — you’ll also typically see higher premiums than you’re used to.

How do I file an SR-22 in Wisconsin?

If you’re required to file an SR-22 in Wisconsin, first contact your insurer. Or find one willing to file on your behalf.

    1. Contact your insurer. If you already have car insurance, contact your agent and advise them of your need to file an SR-22. Most providers are equipped to file one.
    2. Find an insurer. If you don’t already have insurance, you’ll need to find a provider. Not all insurance companies insure those who need an SR-22. If yours doesn’t, find one that will.
    3. Pay the SR-22 fee. Your insurer charges you a minimal processing fee for filing the SR-22 on your behalf.
    4. Verify minimum liability coverage. Confirm that your policy includes at least the minimum liability coverage amounts in Wisconsin:
      • $10,000 for property damage.
      • $25,000 for the injury or death of one person.
      • $50,000 for the injury or death of more than one person.
    5. Submit your SR-22. In Wisconsin, how your SR-22 is filed depends on your provider. Most insurance companies mail your certificate directly to WisDOT. Some, however, will give you the SR-22 or file electronically with WisDOT. Electronically filed SR-22s are typically added to your driver record within a few business days

The impact of an SR-22 on your car insurance rates

SR-22s are often required after serious driving convictions, such as driving without insurance or driving under the influence.

After such a conviction, you’re considered a “high risk” driver by Wisconsin and most insurance providers — which typically results in higher insurance rates. Still, you’ll find providers out there — like the General — that specialize in high-risk drivers.

Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

How long will I need an SR-22?

In Wisconsin, insurance must be filed for three years from your license reinstatement eligibility date or for three years from the court entry date of a damage judgment.

Make sure you understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22. A lapse or nonrenewal could cost you a lot of unnecessary time and money.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Go to site