Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Compare FR-44 insurance

Get FR-44 insurance after a DUI conviction in Florida or Virginia.

Find cheap car insurance quotes for SR22

Enter zip to see insurers who file SR22s.

Your information is secure.

Prefer to speak to an agent? Call for rates: 877-959-5072

If you’re convicted of a DUI or DWI in Florida or Virginia, you might be required to file an FR-44 to legally drive. Similar to an SR-22, this certificate of financial responsibility is required after a driving conviction before you can legally drive in your state. Unlike a more general SR-22, an FR-44 is specific to DUI or DWI convictions, but you can find an insurer willing to help you file for FR-44 insurance.

When do I need to file an FR-44?

If you lose your license as a result of this violation, your insurance company must file an FR-44 on your behalf to prove to your state that you’re covered by increased liability insurance.

Florida and Virginia are the only states to require an FR-44 before they’ll reinstate your driver’s license. In Florida, an FR-44 is officially called a Florida Uniform Financial Responsibility Certificate, though it’s commonly called an FR-44. It’s just called an FR-44 form in Virginia.

If you’ve gotten into trouble behind the wheel in Florida or Virginia, you could be required by state law to file an FR-44. Some of the convictions that might require an FR-44 include:

  • Causing injury or death of another person with your vehicle.
  • Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Driving while your driver’s license is forfeited for a conviction.
  • Violating the provisions of any federal, state or local law your state considers important.

How much does an FR-44 cost?

The cost to file an FR-44 is minimal, typically around $25. Rather, your greater cost is the higher insurance rates that result from a FR-44.

FR-44s are most typically required for high-risk drivers, and insurance companies charge more to cover that risk. You’re also required to carry higher insurance coverage limits, which cost more.

Generally, if you’ve gotten a DUI, you’ll pay more for coverage, to the tune of over $1,250 a year in higher insurance rates. Talk with your provider and ask how much more you can expect to pay for your policy.

How do I file an FR-44?

You can’t file an FR-44 on your own. Instead, you’ll need to ask your insurance provider to file one on your behalf.

1. Contact your insurer. If you already have car insurance, contact your agent and advise them of your need to file an FR-44. Most providers are equipped to file this certificate.

2. Find an insurer. If you don’t already have insurance, you’ll need to find a provider that’s willing to cover you.

Not all insurance companies insure people who need an FR-44. But you’ll find companies out there that will, like The General.

3. Pay the FR-44 filing fee. Your insurer will charge you a processing fee for filing the FR-44.

4. Verify minimum liability coverage. If you’re required to file an FR-44 in Florida or Virginia, your insurance minimums will likely be higher than the statewide liability minimums because you’re now considered a high-risk driver.

To legally drive in Florida, you’ll need to carry higher 100/300/50 liability insurance:

  • $100,000 for bodily injury or death of one person
  • $300,00 for bodily injury or death per accident
  • $50,000 property liability

Virginia’s state minimums under an FR-44 are also higher than a typical driver. You’ll need to carry 50/100/40 liability insurance:

  • $50,000 for bodily injury or death of one person
  • $100,00 for bodily injury or death per accident
  • $40,000 property liability

5. Submit your FR-44. Your insurance provider can likely file your FR-44 electronically on your behalf. Wait for confirmation of acceptance before getting back on the road.

How long will I need an FR-44?

Typically you’ll need an FR-44 for at least three consecutive years, but it ultimately depends on your state of residence and your conviction.

Florida residents

You must continuously maintain insurance coverage and keep an FR-44 on file with the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for three years from the reinstatement of your DUI revocation.

Virginia residents

You’re required to provide proof of insurance with an FR-44 for three years from the date of your license suspension.

How to save on FR-44 car insurance

While being classified as a high-risk driver likely means higher rates, there are still some ways to save.

  • Compare quotes. Get an insurance quote from multiple companies that cater to high-risk drivers. This way, you can be sure you’re getting the cheapest rate on the coverage you need.
  • Look for discounts. You might save by bundling your car and home insurance or by applying for coverage online.
  • Increase your deductible. The higher you set your deductible, or the amount you’ll pay before insurance kicks in, the less you’ll pay in premiums. Just be sure you can afford your deductible in case of an accident.
  • Drop extra coverage. Consider dropping roadside assistance, or collision and comprehensive if your car is older and worth less money than your deductible.

Compare Sr-22 car insurance companies

Get back on the road with car insurers offering FR-44 support. Narrow down options by roadside assistance, accident forgiveness, discounts and more to get a quote.

Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness States served
All 50 states
Get your most compatible insurance options via a "smart matching" method aimed at finding you value.
This broker shines with over 600 positive customer reviews, more top ratings than any broker we've compared.
All 50 states & DC
Get quotes in 30-seconds from 100+ companies, and save an average of $800 or more per year. Requires online login to your existing insurance.
National Auto
National Auto
All 50 states
All 50 states
Your dedicated agent can help you find the best savings with multiple discounts and rewards programs.

Speak to an agent: 877-526-1527


Compare up to 4 providers

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

6 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    DebJanuary 30, 2019

    Why does one need to pay for insurance FR44 for three years if their license is suspended and they do not have a car?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JhezJanuary 31, 2019Staff

      Hi Deb,

      Thank you for your comment.

      The reason why one needs FR44 is that this makes people think twice before driving under the influence. Aside from the suspension of the driver’s license, drivers guilty of DUI or DWI automatically increases insurance rates over the next 5 years. FR44 insurance is a financial responsibility insurance certificate which is a requirement if a person gets convicted for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI). After sentencing, the driver must file an FR44 which provides the minimum amount of insurance coverage.

      Failure to complete the course within 90 days after reinstatement will result in cancellation of the driver license by the department until the course is completed. Failure to complete treatment may result in cancellation of the driver license.


    Default Gravatar
    GordieNovember 18, 2018

    I have FR-44 coverage on my vehicle. My question is, do I have to have it on every vehicle I own? Example, if I have it on a older pick up truck and I want to by another vehicle, would I have to have that one covered with FR-44 as well? Thanks.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      CharisseNovember 30, 2018Staff

      Hi Gordie,

      Thanks for reaching out to finder.

      When you add an FR-44 filing, it is usually added to one vehicle only. However, having an FR-44 shows that you have a liability protection in that state for the required limits and most states only care that you have proper liability coverage. It is acceptable for you to have a second vehicle insured with another carrier that does not have the FR-44.

      You can also contact your local DMV office for further information about FR-44.

      I hope this helps.


    Default Gravatar
    DanielOctober 29, 2018

    I have an FR-44 insurance in Florida for the past 10 months. Now that I moved to New York and bought a new car, do I have to keep my insurance with FR-44 or can I take a regular car insurance in New York

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      CharisseOctober 30, 2018Staff

      Hi Daniel,

      Thanks for reaching out to finder.

      FR-44 is only available in Florida and Virginia so the coverage cannot be transferred if you move out of these states. Since you transferred to New York but is still required the FR-44, it is advisable that you don’t cancel the policy until you have transferred your insurance to New York.

      Some states that don’t require FR-44 insurance may have other requirements so might as well check with an insurance agent to see what the state requirements may be.

      I hope this helps.


Go to site