Washington's cheapest car insurance | finder.com

Cheap car insurance in Washington

How to get the right car insurance in Washington state

Last updated:

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

Laws around car insurance are different from state to state. And unless you’ve moved to more than one state you may not realize that that car insurance in Washington is vastly different from what you need in Oregon. Get the right car insurance in Washington, from average rates and state requirements to how you can save on your coverage.


Car insurance quick facts


Minimum liability requirements


Average annual car insurance cost


Days to update your license

At-fault state

In at fault states, the driver who caused the accident pays for damages.

  • Pay by miles driven
  • Low base rates
  • Drive less, pay less

Our top pick: Metromile

Only pay for how much you drive with the Metromile app. Get rates from $29/month plus pennies per mile.

  • Rates from $29/month plus pennies per mile
  • Low-mileage drivers could save $611/year
  • All miles over 250 a day are free
  • Easy app and online claims plus 24/7 support

Compare Washington car insurance policies

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Safe driver discount Available states
Only pay for how much you drive with the Metromile app. Get rates from $29/month plus pennies per mile.
All 50 states
Save up to 31% with safe driver discounts and bundling all your rides in one convenient policy.
All 50 states
Enjoy premium perks like better car replacement and accident forgiveness plus local agent support.
All 50 states
It's quick and easy to get an online quote with Geico, and you might be surprised at how much you could save.
All 50 states
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
All 50 states
Drivers over 50 and AARP members enjoy special car insurance pricing and benefits.
All 50 states
Get free quotes from top insurers for the exact coverage you need in minutes.
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go. Available in 42 states.

Compare up to 4 providers

CompanyDirect premiums written (billions)Market share
State Farm$883,75816.0%
Liberty Mutual$574,53610.4%
PEMCO Mutual$295,7245.4%
American Family$196,4803.6%

Average car insurance costs in Washington

Washington drivers paid an average of $1,200 annually for car insurance in 2017, which is a little less than the $1,300 national average. If you’re older than 25 and have a clean driving record, you could expect to pay a lower premium if you live in Washington state.

However, rates are known to vary from one area of a state to the next. Drivers in downtown Seattle, for example, are likely to pay more than drivers out in Walla Walla. This is because city living comes with additional risk for car accidents, theft and vandalism — things that make it more likely for an urban driver to file insurance claims. And the more likely you are to file a claim, the more you’ll be charged for coverage.

Cheapest car insurance in Washington

Cheap car insurance in Washington state

Rates last updated September 1st, 2019
Company Median annual rate Learn more
Progressive $1,039 Read review
Metromile $706 Read review
Allstate $1,022 Read review
Geico $923 Read review
Average $923 Compare more reviews

Cheap car insurance in Seattle

Rates last updated September 1st, 2019
Company Median annual rate Learn more
Progressive $984 Read review
Metromile $677 Read review
Allstate $1,057 Read review
Geico $695 Read review
Average $853 Compare more reviews

Which city has the cheapest car insurance in Washington?

Of Washington’s largest cities, Pasco has the cheapest rates and Vancouver has the most expensive car insurance rates. Vancouver drivers could face rates 2 times more than Pasco drivers.

Car insurance quotes in Redmond

CompanyAnnual car insurance rate
American Family$1764

Car insurance quotes in Pasco

CompanyAnnual car insurance rate
American Family$1361

Car insurance quotes in Bothell

CompanyAnnual car insurance rate
American Family$1818

Car insurance quotes in Vancouver

CompanyAnnual car insurance rate
American Family$1610

Car insurance quotes in Everett

CompanyAnnual car insurance rate
American Family$1704

State minimum requirements in Washington

To legally drive in Washington, you’ll need insurance that includes at least:

  • $25,000 for injuries or death to one person
  • $50,000 for injuries or death to all other people
  • $10,000 for damage to another person’s property

Roadside assistance in Washington

Many Washington insurers offer roadside assistance as an optional extra, and a few offer it free when you buy collision and comprehensive coverage. Washington has some of the worst roads in the country, ranking seventh worst with 31% of roads in poor conditions, according to a recent report by the American Society of Civil Engineers. With so much mountainous terrain and rural roads, it’s difficult for the state to maintain everything with current funding. Roadside help could come in handy for any Washington driver who’s experienced a fender bender, unseen pothole or black ice on a winter night.

Car insurance for high-risk drivers in Washington

If you can’t find cheap coverage or if you’ve been denied coverage because you’re a high-risk driver, you can get insured with the Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans (WAAIP).

With WAAIP, you’ll be assigned an insurance provider, and any additional risk you pose to the insurance provider is mitigated by spreading it across the WAAIP network of insurance companies.

Can I get SR-22 insurance in Washington?

Yes, you can file an SR-22 insurance in Washington. An SR-22 is a document proving to the state that you meet all of the car insurance minimum requirements. You might need an SR-22 filing if you’ve gotten a DUI or if you’ve been caught driving without car insurance.

Bottom line

Car insurance can help to protect you, your vehicle and everyone else on the road if something ever goes wrong. And in the state of Washington, it’s a legal requirement to carry insurance for these reasons. The first step of comparing car insurance is understanding laws and regulations in your state to help you get the best value on your auto coverage.

Common questions about car insurance in Washington

Which car insurance provider is best for me?

Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.

Question 1 of 2

Based on your answers, check out:

Compare more car insurance companies

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder.com provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on finder.com are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site