We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Volvo V90 car insurance rates
They're above average for a family car, but less than many luxury vehicles.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
How much is car insurance for a Volvo V90?
The V90 combines luxury style with a family-friendly body, plus low theft rates and a competitive maintenance plan. Although above the average insurance rate of $1,300, this car averages $2,640 per year for insurance — which is similar to other luxury models like the Mercedes-Benz E-class.
And the average insurance costs for a Volvo V90 Cross Country is $220 a month — or $2,640 a year. That’s right at the same amount for the standard V90.
Compare car insurance for your Volvo V90
How do I compare insurance for the Volvo V90?
The V90 offers luxury style that may increase insurance rates, yet its family-friendly wagon body, low theft and complimentary maintenance may offset your costs.
- Body type. The V90 is a midsize luxury wagon that veers into SUV territory. Its bigger size may contribute to higher rates, although station wagons are one of the cheapest car types to insure.
- Fuel. This family car gets considerable gas mileage for a midsize vehicle. It’s rated at 31 to 35 combined mpg, depending on whether it’s the T5 or T6 model.
- Maintenance. Volvo forums show owners with mixed opinions, with some owners needing many minor repairs while others don’t. However, owners do mention repair costs tend to stay high when they’re needed. The car comes with a three-year complimentary maintenance plan that may offset costs at first.
- Theft. This wagon includes a low theft rate compared to the number of V90s on the market, which lowers risk for your insurance company.
- Coverage. Because of its luxury car status, you might consider a luxury policy for its agreed value coverage and higher liability limits. In addition, uninsured/underinsured motorist, loan or lease gap and collision coverage offer wider protection.
- Insurer options. Most insurers provide coverage for this family vehicle, but choosing luxury insurance may limit your choices.
- Warranty. Volvo covers your new V90 with a four-year, 50,000-mile warranty, but it also throws in a three-year, 36,000-mile complimentary maintenance plan.
Does the Volvo V90 qualify for discounts?
The V90 is a family car through and through, featuring built-in safety fit for families and potential insurance discounts.
- Antilock brakes
- Antitheft device
- Backup camera
- Blind spot sensor
- Driveline traction control
- Electronic stability control
- Lane keeping assistance
- Rear parking sensor
- Roll stability control
- Traffic alert
- Volvo emergency SOS
How reliable is the Volvo V90?
This car appears to have moderate reliability with few recalls. Although it’s not officially rated for safety, a similar Volvo includes high ratings with the NHTSA.
- Safety. The V90 doesn’t hold specific ratings with the IIHS or NHTSA. However, the NHTSA gave the similar V60 model a rating of Good for crashworthiness and Superior for front crash prevention.
- Reliability. Review sites and forums don’t include major repair problems with the V90, although owners differ on reliability. Overall, owners deem it average for reliability, while JD Power gives this car a 2.5 out of 5 predicted reliability rating.
- Recalls. To date, this car has had one minor recall for software installation that affects the car’s emergency GPS locator.
When comparing insurance providers for your V90, keep in mind the car’s luxury status and higher MSRP value for a family car. These may contribute to higher rates than more common station wagons and sedans.
If you’re not sold on purchasing a V90, check out rates for another make or model.
Frequently asked questions about the Volvo V90
Read more on this topic
When can I use my phone when driving? When are you allowed to use your phone while driving in each state?
Noblr car insurance review Noblr car insurance offers monthly premium discounts based on your safe driving habits.
Compare carshare car insurance Make sure the free insurance offered by carshare services is enough protection for you.
Compare car insurance for self-employed drivers Self-employed drivers need to balance getting the best rates with protecting their business.
Compare Allstate car insurance discounts You could save well over 30% by taking advantage of Allstate’s numerous car insurance discounts.
Compare Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts Save extra money with Liberty Mutual by taking advantage of its numerous car insurance discounts.
Which gas should you use in your car? When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
How does car insurance cover additional drivers? Insurance should cover drivers listed on your policy, but double-check how your company handles unnamed drivers.
Compare car insurance with accidental death benefits An accidental death benefits rider can help cover funeral expenses after a fatal car accident.
Does driver assist technology affect car insurance? Driver assist technology won’t discount your insurance premium, but it could save your life.
Ask an Expert