Compare Utah SR-22 insurance |

Compare SR-22 insurance in Utah

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Utah

If you live in Utah and have recently been convicted of DWI or reckless driving, you may be required to get an SR-22 to prove your financial responsibility before you get your license back. Filing for SR-22 is simple if you can find a provider willing to cover you for an affordable rate.

  • Affordable coverage
  • Instant online access
  • SR-22 support

Our pick for SR-22 drivers: The General

The General offers affordable coverage for nearly any driver who needs car insurance.

  • Affordable coverage
  • High risk drivers okay
  • Instant online access
  • Available in 46 states

Compare SR-22 car insurance in Utah

Find the best rates from insurance providers near you or learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Utah car insurance.

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Available states
All states except Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan and New Jersey
The General offers affordable coverage for nearly any driver who needs car insurance.
Known for providing insurance to high-risk customers who may have trouble finding coverage elsewhere, SafeAuto offers a lot of different discounts, from those for homeowners to good drivers.
Discounts, flexible payments and a life coach that guides you to your best rates and coverage with Direct car insurance.
All states except AK, LA, GA, HI, MA, MI, MT, NH, NJ, NY, ND, OK, RI
Dairyland offers auto insurance with flexible payment and coverage options for high-risk drivers in 37 states.
Connects high-risk drivers to providers in its network offering affordable policies
All 50 states
USAA offers affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service to millions of military members and their families. Only available to military members, veterans and affiliated military members.

Compare up to 4 providers

Do I need SR-22 insurance in Utah?

An SR-22 is proof of future financial responsibility. It’s a form that demonstrates you have a car insurance policy that meets Utah’s minimum auto insurance requirements.

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. Utah law may require you to file an SR-22 if:

  • You’re convicted of a DWI or reckless driving.
  • You’re involved in multiple accidents.
  • You’re issued multiple speeding tickets.

What if I don’t have a car or a license?

You’ll still be required to file an SR-22 even if you don’t own a car if you intend to get behind the wheel. In this case you’ll need to purchase non-owner auto insurance and file an SR-22 before your license can be reinstated.

What if I’m from another state?

If you have an SR-22 from another state, you must maintain it while driving in Utah. Your SR-22 is likely to be sufficient in Utah, but it’s best to verify coverage with the DMV and your insurer.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance from companies near you.

Your information is secure.

How much does an SR-22 cost in Utah?

The fee your provider charges for filing the SR-22 is between $20 to $50, depending on the company. But it’s not the filing fee that’s most expensive when you’re required to file an SR-22 — you’ll typically see higher premiums.

The impact of an SR-22 on your car insurance rates

SR-22s are often required after a driving conviction, such as driving without insurance or a DWI. After such a conviction, you’re considered a “high-risk” driver by Utah and most providers — which typically results in higher insurance rates. Still, you’ll find providers out there — like the General — that specialize in high-risk drivers.

Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

Utah SR-22 insurance rates

Not every insurer offers SR-22 filing support. Compare cheap rates from Utah insurance companies that offer SR-22 insurance. Your actual quotes will vary based on your demographics, location, driving record and other factors.

Rates last updated May 24th, 2019
Company Median annual rate Learn more
Allstate $660 Read review
State Farm $698 Read review
Geico $674 Read review
Progressive $664 Read review
The General $1,084 Read review
American Family $793 Read review
USAA $754 Read review
Average $761 Compare more reviews

How do I file for an SR-22 in Utah?

  1. Notify your insurer. If you already have insurance you will need to inform your provider that you are required to file an SR-22. Most insurance providers will file one for you.
  2. Find an insurer. Not all providers will insure someone who is required to file an SR-22. If your provider doesn’t offer SR-22 insurance, find a provider who will.
  3. Pay the SR-22 fee. Your insurer will charge you a processing fee for filing the SR-22.
  4. Verify minimum liability coverage. If you’re insured, call your provider to make sure your policy includes Utah’s minimum insurance:
    • $25,000 for bodily injury per person.
    • $65,000 maximum per incident.
    • $15,000 for damage to another person’s property.

    You may see this listed as 25/65/15 on your insurance documents.

  5. Submit your SR-22. In Utah, typically your insurance provider will electronically file your SR22 on your behalf.

How long will I need an SR-22 for in Utah?

Utah has strict laws around driving. You could be required to carry SR-22 insurance for as little as three years, but some repeat offenders are sentenced to keep SR-22 certification for life.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

A lapse in SR-22 certification can result in your license being suspended. To reinstate your license after a lapse you’ll need to renew your policy and pay any reinstatement and court fees.

Your insurance provider is required to notify the state if your policy is canceled for any reason. Missing payments consistently and failing to renew can both cause a lapse.

What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?

You may want to contact your local DMV and your insurer before making any changes to your policy. You’ll be able to find out if your mandate has completely cleared and any additional steps you may need to take.

Bottom line

You’re responsible for maintaining your insurance and, by extension, your SR-22 coverage. Talk with your insurance agent if you’re unclear on what those responsibilities entail. Keeping ahead of the curve during your filing period can help minimize additional costs and lessen your chances of getting another suspension.

Shop around and compare providers before settling on a policy. High premiums may follow you after your filing period, but you may still be able to find a good deal that fits your budget.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance from companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    MatthewJune 20, 2018

    Utah is requiring me to get an SR22 before they will reinstate my suspended license. The problem is I now live in Arizona and my vehicle is registered in Arizona. Arizona DMV will not give me a license. And I will not be driving in Utah with the car insured in Utah for Utah to honor my SR22.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      nikkiangcoJune 20, 2018Staff

      Hi Matthew,

      Thanks for visiting finder.

      We’re sorry to hear this. In Utah, typically your insurance provider will electronically file your SR22 on your behalf. Ask your agent if they can do this for you as this is more convenient.

      Hope this helps.


Go to site