Car insurance is frustrating, and shopping for the best deal means attempting to understand confusing terms and company gimmicks. Add to that the simple fact that it’s no fun to buy something you hope you’ll never use.
USAA makes the business of insurance as simple as possible. Its focus on service for its members makes it one of the highest ranking companies in customer satisfaction year after year.
What is USAA car insurance?
Founded in 1922, USAA serves members of the military and their families by offering competitive rates on car insurance and many other financial products and needs.
What sets USAA apart?
USAA understands the unique needs of military members and their families. Not only does it offer auto insurance at competitive rates, military families can also use USAA to access a wide variety of financial resources and clear-cut advice.
Some perks designed just for the military include:
- Low use discount. Save when you keep your vehicle on your military base, or if you store your car in a garage while overseas.
- Family loyalty discount. Save up to 10% by staying on your parents’ USAA car insurance policy.
- Low mileage discount. If you’re deployed and don’t use your car much, you’ll save based on your annual mileage.
- Pay based on your schedule. If your paydays don’t fall on a typical schedule, set up payments for premiums based on when you get paid.
- Manage your account online. When you can’t get to an agent in person, USAA’s convenient online tool makes it easy to put in claims, pay bills, request ID cards and more.
- Car buying support. USAA’s Overseas Vehicle Purchase Program helps military members get a car if they’re stationed overseas for more than 30 days, with car purchase discounts and delivery to duty stations.
Pros and cons
- Auto and home insurance. Save when you bundle your home and car insurance.
- Driver discounts. Get discounts for safe drivers, good students, driver training and defensive driving courses.
- Vehicle discounts. Get discounts for new vehicles, low mileage, coverage on multiple vehicles and vehicles that are in storage.
- 24/7 claims service. Report or check your claim through USAA’s free mobile app.
- Membership savings. Savings are offered to military families, to those in military installations and through bundled insurance packages.
- Company profits. Members are entitled to a portion of the company profits each year, paid out by check or as a rebate on coverage fees.
- Flexible payments. Pay premiums yearly, monthly or on your military pay schedule.
- Limited membership. USAA is available to current and former members of the US military and their families only.
- Online only. You won’t be able to talk with a USAA agent in person.
USAA auto insurance competitors
What car insurance coverage does USAA offer?
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Personal injury protection coverage. Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Emergency roadside service. Helps if you break down and you need roadside repairs.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired.
- Accident forgiveness. After five years of no accidents, your premium won’t go up after one at-fault accident.
- SR-22. A certificate of insurance for users who’ve have DUI convictions or are caught driving uninsured.
- Temporary or non-owner insurance. Liability coverage for rented or borrowed vehicles used stateside, including for personal leave or temporary military assignment.
Does USAA offer any other types of insurance?
USAA provides financial assistance to services members for insurance, banking, investments, real estate and retirement. It offers insurance for just about everything from cars and homes to businesses to health, life and dental. Learn more online at USAA’s website.
USAA is a great one-and-done company for current and former members of the US military and their families offering competitive rates on car insurance. It’s a trusted source for your insurance, banking, investment, and real estate advice needs. But you’ll need to be eligible for a membership with USAA before you can take advantage of its deals.
No matter what your needs are, compare your available options to find the best rates and coverage.