We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Tesla Roadster car insurance rates
Race around top-down at the expense of a high premium.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Tesla is bringing back the Roadster in 2020 as a performance car, so expect steep insurance costs for this sporty electric ride. The Roadster may bring a premium similar to the McLaren 570S, totaling $583 a month or $6,996 a year, about $5,700 above the national average. With a base price of $200,000, the annual insurance cost-to-base car price ratio would be 3%, below the national average of 4%.
Compare car insurance for your Tesla Roadster
How do I compare insurance for the Roadster?
The 2020 Roadster is keeping its sporty convertible style from previous 2008 to 2012 models. But it’s slated for higher speeds and a convertible glass roof, making it more risky to insure. Other characteristics of this car:
- Body type. A sleek convertible with top speeds creates an exhilarating ride, but its glass roof and top-down features will make insurance companies shiver.
- Fuel. Tesla is turning up the dial with a range of over 600 miles. That means you can last longer between charges, costing $10 to $13 a charge.
- Theft rates. Insurers may fall in love with the Roadster’s expected low theft rate based on previous model years.
- Maintenance. Teslas aren’t known for car problems, but you can expect costly maintenance and a specialized mechanic for this racey electric, which drives insurance rates up.
- Coverage. You might want a luxury policy, fitting this luxury car with agreed value coverage and higher maximums to protect your investment. Also, consider medical payments and race track coverage if you need to cover track days.
- Insurer options. Luxury car insurance whittles down your choices, but insurers like Chubb may help you get coverage. You might consider electric car insurers like InsureMyTesla or Electric Auto.
- Warranty. This Tesla comes with warranty protection for four years or 50,000 miles, including roadside service. Although the battery warranty is still pending, the long-range Model 3 battery was protected for eight years or 120,000 miles.
Does the Tesla Roadster qualify for discounts?
Tesla hasn’t released many details on this new car, but it’s likely to have all the same features as previous models, which could help you save with car insurance discounts.
- Antilock brakes
- Electric vehicle discounts
- Seatbelt pretensioners
- Stability control
Why is insurance so expensive for the Roadster?
The Roadster ticks all the boxes for an expensive insurance premium, especially with a high MSRP and specialty parts that make repairing or replacing more pricey for your insurer. Plus, this car can reach upwards of 250 mph, a speed that could encourage risky driving on the open road.
How reliable is the Tesla Roadster?
With a Tesla track record for safety and few recalls or problems on previous Roadsters, you can assume this upcoming car will have a similar reputation.
- Safety. Although the NHTSA hasn’t tested the Roadster for safety, it has 5-star ratings for many other Teslas like the Model 3, Model S and Model X.
- Reliability. Owners from previous model years haven’t reported common problems with the Roadster. However, you could need more repairs if you’re using yours on the track.
- Recalls. Yes, previous Roadsters had recalls on their electrical wiring and rear hub flange bolts.
The upcoming Roadster has features that make it a breezy ride with high insurance, like its convertible top and specialized coverage. Shop a variety of providers to get the best coverage and value, or find out the cost of insuring another car altogether.
Frequently asked questions about the Tesla Roadster
Read more on this topic
Noblr car insurance review Noblr car insurance offers monthly premium discounts based on your safe driving habits.
Compare carshare car insurance Make sure the free insurance offered by carshare services is enough protection for you.
Compare car insurance for self-employed drivers Self-employed drivers need to balance getting the best rates with protecting their business.
Compare Allstate car insurance discounts You could save well over 30% by taking advantage of Allstate’s numerous car insurance discounts.
Compare Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts Save extra money with Liberty Mutual by taking advantage of its numerous car insurance discounts.
Which gas should you use in your car? When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
How does car insurance cover additional drivers? Insurance should cover drivers listed on your policy, but double-check how your company handles unnamed drivers.
Compare car insurance with accidental death benefits An accidental death benefits rider can help cover funeral expenses after a fatal car accident.
Does driver assist technology affect car insurance? Driver assist technology won’t discount your insurance premium, but it could save your life.
Ferrari LaFerrari car insurance rates You can expect to pay a lot to buy — and insure — this hybrid hypercar from Ferrari.