How to file for SR-22 car insurance in Rhode Island |

Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

Compare Rhode Island SR-22 insurance

Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Rhode Island

If you’ve run into trouble while behind the wheel in Rhode Island, you might be required to file for SR-22 insurance to get your license back. Here’s what you need to know about obtaining and maintaining an SR-22 in Rhode Island.

How much does SR-22 insurance cost?

Insurance providers typically charge $20 to $50 for filing an SR-22 on your behalf. But it’s not the filing fee that’s most expensive when you’re required to file an SR-22 — you’ll also typically see higher premiums than you’re used to.

How do I file for an SR-22 in Rhode Island?

  1. Find an insurer. Ask your insurer if it issues SR-22s in the state of Rhode Island. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to find a car insurance company that does.
  2. Pay the SR-22 fee. Your insurer will charge you a minimal processing fee for filing the SR-22 on your behalf.
  3. Verify minimum liability coverage. If you’re already insured, call your provider to confirm your policy includes at least:
    • $25,000 bodily injury liability.
    • $50,000 property damage liability.
    • $25,000 uninsured/underinsured bodily injury.

    These are the minimum coverage requirements for the state of Rhode Island that you might see listed as 25/50/25 on insurance documents.

  4. Submit your SR-22. Your insurance provider can electronically file the SR-22 on your behalf.

Compare Rhode Island SR-22 car insurance

Find the best rates from insurance providers in Rhode Island. Learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Rhode Island car insurance.

Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness Payment schedule States served
Progressive (Engine Table)
12 months, 6 months
All 50 states
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
12 months, Monthly
All 50 states
Your dedicated agent can help you find the best savings with multiple discounts and rewards programs.
Liberty Mutual
12 months, monthly
All 50 states
Earn free accident forgiveness after five years claims-free and customize your policy anytime online at the tap of a button.
12 months, 6 months, custom
All 50 states
Affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service. Only available to military members and veterans and their family.
The General
12 months, monthly
All states except HI MA MI and NJ
Snag affordable coverage for high-risk drivers, a marketing claim backed by our rate analysis which showed premiums less than $80 a month.
12 months, custom, Monthly
All 50 states
Say hello to a local Farmers agent who can help you find the best savings from a long list of coverage options.

Compare up to 4 providers

How long will I need an SR-22?

In Rhode Island the amount of time you have to maintain your SR-22 depends on your conviction, but it’s typically two to three years.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

A gap in your insurance will be reported to the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), and your license may be suspended again. You must get your license reinstated before the time on your SR-22 filing period is started.

For example, if you’re two years into your filing period and your license gets suspended from a lapse in coverage, the remaining one year can’t be finished out until your license is reinstated.

What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?

At the end of your mandated filing period you’ll need to respond to the DMV Adjudication Office. The SR-22 won’t be released until you’ve been cleared by the DMV. Once you get your clearance you can contact your insurance provider about next steps concerning your policy.

Do I need SR-22 insurance in Rhode Island?

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. Rhode Island law may require you to file an SR-22 if:

  • You’re convicted of DUI or reckless driving.
  • You refuse a breathalyzer.
  • You’ve been involved in multiple accidents.

What if I don’t have a car or a license?

If you want to drive you still need an SR–22 — it covers you, not your car. Whether you own a car or not, you’re required to file an SR-22 to reinstate your license. Look into a non-owner insurance policy and file a non-owner SR-22.

What if I’m from another state?

Whether you’re visiting or have recently moved to Rhode Island, you need to maintain your SR-22 if you plan to hit the road.

How an SR-22 can affect your future car insurance rates

SR-22s are often required after a driving conviction, such as reckless driving or a DUI. After such a conviction, you’re considered a high risk driver by Rhode Island and most providers — resulting in higher insurance rates. Still, you’ll find providers out there that specialize in high-risk drivers.

Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

Bottom line

You’re in control when it comes to getting through the SR-22 filing period. To keep everything above board renew your policy early, make your payments on time and drive safely within the law.

You’ll likely face higher insurance rates even after the mandate is up, but finding a provider that offers the coverage you need doesn’t necessarily mean cleaning out your wallet completely. Compare your options and look for the policy that has rates you can afford and the protection you need.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site