Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Progressive roadside assistance and towing
Call Progressive to get back on the road day or night.
If you clock up enough miles, you’re going to run into car issues at some point. Progressive offers emergency roadside service as an add-on, which could save your road trip in an emergency.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
What does Progressive include in roadside assistance?
Progressive’s roadside assistance covers the costs of towing and labor for up to one hour. If it takes longer to get your car running, you’ll have to pay the difference. The good news is the most common roadside repairs typically take an hour or less.
If your car breaks down or can’t be driven, Progressive will cover these costs:
- Mechanical, on-scene labor. Covers up to one hour of labor.
- Towing. Get your car to the nearest repair facility or the mechanic of your choice within 15 miles.
- Battery jumpstart. If your battery dies, call a professional to jump it.
- Flat tire change. An expert will put the spare tire on your car at the scene.
- Fuel and fluid delivery. Progressive will deliver gas and oil so you can get back on the road.
- Locksmith labor. Covers up to an hour of labor if the key is lost, stolen or accidentally locked in the car.
- Winching. The insurer will pull out your car if it’s stuck in mud, snow, water or sand within 100 feet of the road or highway.
What’s not covered?
Like all insurers, Progressive restricts its roadside assistance services. In most states, you must have collision and comprehensive coverage to opt into the service. The limits vary between policies and states. For example, North Carolina and Virginia have tighter limits.
- Towing costs to your repair shop of choice if it’s more than 15 miles away. Progressive will tow your car anywhere within a 15-miles radius, or to the nearest qualified repair shop if one doesn’t exist within 15 miles. But if you request a shop that’s more than 15 miles away and there are qualified facilities within the radius, the cost is on you.
- Labor costs beyond the first hour. This includes mechanical and locksmith labor, vehicle winching, gas and oil delivery, jumpstarting batteries and changing a tire.
- Replacement items. You’re responsible for the cost of any parts or repairs made to your vehicle, including tires, batteries and keys.
- Gas cost. Progressive will cover the delivery and service, but you’ll have to pay for the fuel.
- Services past your policy limits. The insurer will only cover a certain number of roadside events in a rolling six-month period. To find out your limit, read the fine print of your policy.
- Rental cars and non-covered cars. If you’re driving a friend’s car and break down, Progressive can’t help you. Your friend will have to call on their roadside assistance provider.
How do I get towing coverage from Progressive?
Progressive offers roadside assistance as a policy add-on. If you’re not already a customer, the quickest way to purchase a policy is to start with an online quote.
- Go to the Progressive website.
- On the homepage, you’ll see a box saying What do you want to insure? Select Auto.
- Enter your zip code.
- Press Quote Auto.
- Provide your personal information and details about your nominated drivers and vehicles.
- On the Rates page, confirm the coverage you want and opt in to Roadside Assistance.
Otherwise, call customer service on 800-776-47437 to purchase a policy or add roadside assistance to your current coverage.
How much does Progressive’s roadside assistance cost?
It varies depending on where you live and the car you drive, but expect to pay around $16 a year for Progressive’s roadside assistance. This fee is higher than competitor carriers like Geico and State Farm, but less expensive than that of membership clubs like AAA.
To opt into roadside assistance, you’ll need comprehensive and collision coverage, so factor those costs in when you’re crunching the numbers.
How do I use roadside assistance from Progressive?
Progressive keeps it simple. When you’re stuck, call 800-776-2778. The department is open 24/7. A representative will confirm your coverage and ask for your location and what kind of problem you’re having. They’ll then dispatch a professional to help you.
Alternatives to Progressive roadside assistance
While Progressive’s roadside assistance service is fairly standard, it does cover labor costs for up to an hour and towing for up to 15 miles. It does have its limits, so take the time to compare providers to score the best possible deal on roadside coverage and car insurance.
Frequently asked questions about Progressive towing
Read more on this topic
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Compare Polestar car insurance rates
Discover this luxury electric brand’s typical car insurance premiums and factors that affect your rate.
Say car insurance review Sep 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Kia Mohave insurance rates
Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Kia Mohave.
Kia Niro insurance rates
Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Kia Niro.
Is online driver’s ed worth it?
Pick the right online driver’s ed program and learn how long it takes to complete one.
Ferrari F8 Tributo insurance rates
Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Ferrari F8 Tributo.
Compare Plymouth Rock vs Progressive car insurance
Who has the best car insurance, Plymouth Rock or Progressive?
Compare Ameriprise vs State Farm car insurance
Who has the best car insurance, Ameriprise or State Farm?
Ask an Expert