If you clock up enough miles, you’re going to run into car issues at some point. Progressive offers emergency roadside service as an add-on, which could save your road trip in an emergency.
What does Progressive include in roadside assistance?
Progressive’s roadside assistance covers the costs of towing and labor for up to one hour. If it takes longer to get your car running, you’ll have to pay the difference. The good news is the most common roadside repairs typically take an hour or less.
If your car breaks down or can’t be driven, Progressive will cover these costs:
- Mechanical, on-scene labor. Covers up to one hour of labor.
- Towing. Get your car to the nearest repair facility or the mechanic of your choice within 15 miles.
- Battery jumpstart. If your battery dies, call a professional to jump it.
- Flat tire change. An expert will put the spare tire on your car at the scene.
- Fuel and fluid delivery. Progressive will deliver gas and oil so you can get back on the road.
- Locksmith labor. Covers up to an hour of labor if the key is lost, stolen or accidentally locked in the car.
- Winching. The insurer will pull out your car if it’s stuck in mud, snow, water or sand within 100 feet of the road or highway.
How much does Progressive’s roadside assistance cost?
It varies depending on where you live and the car you drive, but expect to pay around $16 a year for Progressive’s roadside assistance. This fee is higher than competitor carriers like Geico and State Farm, but less expensive than that of membership clubs like AAA.
To opt into roadside assistance, you’ll need comprehensive and collision coverage, so factor those costs in when you’re crunching the numbers.
How do I get towing coverage from Progressive?
Progressive offers roadside assistance as a policy add-on. If you’re not already a customer, the quickest way to purchase a policy is to start with an online quote.
- Go to the Progressive website.
- On the homepage, you’ll see a box saying What do you want to insure? Select Auto.
- Enter your zip code.
- Press Quote Auto.
- Provide your personal information and details about your nominated drivers and vehicles.
- On the Rates page, confirm the coverage you want and opt in to Roadside Assistance.
Otherwise, call customer service on 800-776-47437 to purchase a policy or add roadside assistance to your current coverage.
How do I use roadside assistance from Progressive?
Progressive keeps it simple. When you’re stuck, call 800-776-2778. The department is open 24/7. A representative will confirm your coverage and ask for your location and what kind of problem you’re having. They’ll then dispatch a professional to help you.
What’s not covered?
Like all insurers, Progressive restricts its roadside assistance services. In most states, you must have collision and comprehensive coverage to opt into the service. The limits vary between policies and states. For example, North Carolina and Virginia have tighter limits.
- Towing costs to your repair shop of choice if it’s more than 15 miles away. Progressive will tow your car anywhere within a 15-miles radius, or to the nearest qualified repair shop if one doesn’t exist within 15 miles. But if you request a shop that’s more than 15 miles away and there are qualified facilities within the radius, the cost is on you.
- Labor costs beyond the first hour. This includes mechanical and locksmith labor, vehicle winching, gas and oil delivery, jumpstarting batteries and changing a tire.
- Replacement items. You’re responsible for the cost of any parts or repairs made to your vehicle, including tires, batteries and keys.
- Gas cost. Progressive will cover the delivery and service, but you’ll have to pay for the fuel.
- Services past your policy limits. The insurer will only cover a certain number of roadside events in a rolling six-month period. To find out your limit, read the fine print of your policy.
- Rental cars and non-covered cars. If you’re driving a friend’s car and break down, Progressive can’t help you. Your friend will have to call on their roadside assistance provider.
While Progressive’s roadside assistance service is fairly standard, it does cover labor costs for up to an hour and towing for up to 15 miles. It does have its limits, so take the time to compare providers to score the best possible deal on roadside coverage and car insurance.
Alternatives to Progressive roadside assistance
Frequently asked questions about Progressive towing
More guides on Finder
Compare car insurance in Stockton
Compare car insurance rates and features that serve Stockton.
Car insurance in Modesto
These 4 best car insurance picks are a good starting point for shopping around in Modesto.
Car insurance in Bakersfield
Compare top car insurance companies in Bakersfield, plus see why you need extra coverage here.
Compare car insurance in San Jose
Car insurance isn’t optional in San Jose. Compare insurers that serve San Jose, California.
Compare car insurance in Fresno
Compare insurers that serve Fresno, California, side by side.
Car insurance in San Diego
These top 4 companies should narrow down your car insurance options in San Diego.
Car insurance in Denver
See our 4 best picks for car insurance in Denver, plus a few more to consider.
Allstate Drivewise review
Earn rewards with this telematics program even if you aren’t an Allstate customer, though you can only receive a discount if you’re a policyholder.
Nationwide SmartMiles review
Pay-per-mile car insurance can help you save money if you’re a low-mileage driver.
State Farm Drive Safe and Save review
The discount program that saves you money when you drive safety.
Ask an Expert