Customizable packages, comprehensive tools and multiple opportunities for discounts make for a top-rated provider.
Car insurance is a tricky thing — you need it, but you hope you never have to use it. Progressive is one of the few big-name insurers out there that we all know.
About Progressive auto insurance
Progressive boasts coming in ahead of the competition. When they began in 1937, they were the first company to offer a drive-in claims office. They introduced tiered rates for low-risk drivers and were the first to have an online comparison shopping tool. They now advertise a popular “Name Your Price” program that claims to help you set the price you’ll pay each month based on your budget.
Pros and cons
- Top-rated insurer. Nearing 80 years of experience, Progressive is a big name in the industry.
- Easy online sign-up and reporting. Complete and e-sign necessary forms to register or report an accident online.
- Multiple discounts available. You can shave money off your coverage by starting your quote online, bundling your coverage, maintaining a safe driving record, signing your documents online, paying in full and more.
- Limited business coverage. If you’re looking to insure your fleet of business vehicles, you may need to look elsewhere.
Progressive auto insurance competitors
How’s the service?
Progressive’s website is easy to navigate with totally transparent pricing. They also offer complete “concierge” service that handles your claims from start to finish. They’ll even pick you up from the side of the road, if you need it.
In 2016, J.D. Power found Progressive to be “about average” across the board. They received their lowest marks in the Southwest region.
Before you rule out Progressive for poor customer service remarks, remember that customer ratings and reviews don’t always tell the whole story. They can give insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but many customers don’t typically rate a product or service unless they had an exceptionally bad experience.
Can you really “Name Your Price”?
Kind of. After entering your location to find your state’s minimum coverage levels, you then enter the price you’re comfortable paying. Progressive’s tool displays the levels of coverage and deductibles available to you.
Raising your monthly payment typically means a lower deductible when the time comes for repairs. However, what you save on a month to month basis may come back to haunt you come deductible time.
Car insurance rates are based on so many variables that it’s impossible to see if you’re getting a good deal until you’ve compared prices with other companies.
What car insurance coverage does Progressive offer?
Progressive offers customizable packages that allow you to buy only what you need.
- Bodily insurance and property damage liability. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured bodily injury. Protects you if you’re in an accident caused by another driver with no or limited insurance.
- Medical payments. Protects you against post-accident medical care.
- Collision. Pays for car repairs if you’re in an accident.
- Comprehensive. Pays for car repairs if your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, fire or vandalism.
- Uninsured motorist property damage. Pays for car repairs if you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
- Roadside assistance. Pays for towing and roadside help if your car breaks down for most any reason.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for up to 30 days of a rental car while yours is repaired due to an accident.
Beyond the standard coverage offered by most major carriers, Progressive covers:
- Loan or lease payoff. Also called gap insurance, pays for up to 25% over the actual cash value toward what you still owe on your car if it’s ever declared a total loss.
- Pet injuries. Helps pay for vet bills if your cat or dog is hurt in a car accident.
- Custom parts and equipment replacement. Progressive will pay for the repair or replacement of custom paint, stereos and TVs, phones, grills and spoilers and more.
- SR-22. Progressive also offers SR-22 coverage for those who have been mandated by their state .
What else will Progressive insure?
Almost anything on wheels! Progressive offers coverage for cars, trucks, motorcycles and snowmobiles. Even Segways are covered.
They also offer homeowners and renters insurance to protect your home and belongings.
Progressive is a great “set it and forget it” company for customers looking to save money each month on their premiums. They offer many discounts that are easy to earn, especially if you’re comfortable conducting business online.
Those lower prices could come come with a cost: customer service. By looking into other providers, you may be able to get a comparable amount of coverage at a similar price point without sacrificing service.
Compare your options to find a car insurance provider that meets your needs.