Compare Ohio SR-22 insurance |

Compare SR-22 insurance in Ohio

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Ohio

If you live in Ohio and have recently been convicted of DWI or reckless driving, you may be required to get an SR-22 to prove your financial responsibility before you get your license back. Filing for SR-22 is simple if you can find a provider willing to cover you for an affordable rate.

  • Affordable coverage
  • Instant online access
  • SR-22 support

Our pick for SR-22 drivers: The General

The General offers affordable coverage for nearly any driver who needs car insurance.

  • Affordable coverage
  • High risk drivers okay
  • Instant online access
  • Available in 46 states

Compare Ohio SR-22 insurance

Find the best rates from insurance providers near you or learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Ohio car insurance.

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Available states
All states except Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan and New Jersey
The General offers affordable coverage for nearly any driver who needs car insurance.
Known for providing insurance to high-risk customers who may have trouble finding coverage elsewhere, SafeAuto offers a lot of different discounts, from those for homeowners to good drivers.
Discounts, flexible payments and a life coach that guides you to your best rates and coverage with Direct car insurance.
All states except AK, LA, GA, HI, MA, MI, MT, NH, NJ, NY, ND, OK, RI
Dairyland offers auto insurance with flexible payment and coverage options for high-risk drivers in 37 states.
Connects high-risk drivers to providers in its network offering affordable policies
All 50 states
USAA offers affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service to millions of military members and their families. Only available to military members, veterans and affiliated military members.

Compare up to 4 providers

When is an SR-22 required in Ohio?

An SR-22 is proof of future financial responsibility. It’s a form that demonstrates you have a car insurance policy that meets Utah’s minimum auto insurance requirements.

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. In Ohio, you could be required to file for an SR-22 if you’re:

  • Involved in an accident that results in death, injury or damages of more than $400 and aren’t covered by the state’s minimum liability insurance.
  • Caught driving without insurance or are unable to show proof of your insurance to the authorities.
  • Found guilty of a DUI, DWI or other major traffic violation.

Do I still have to file an SR-22 don’t have a car or a license?

In most cases, yes. Your Ohio court order could require you to file an SR-22 as a non-owner alongside a non-owner car insurance policy. Your policy and SR-22 proves to the state that you’re carrying the state’s required coverage necessary to reinstate your driver’s license.

What if I’m from another state?

In most cases your coverage should be enough to maintain your SR-22 while you’re in Ohio. Check with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles before you hit the road to confirm you’re legal to drive.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance from companies near you.

Your information is secure.

How much does an SR-22 cost in Ohio?

How much you’ll pay for an SR-22 varies by provider, but expect a filing fee of $15 to $25.

Your biggest expense will likely be higher premiums. If you need an SR-22, you’re considered a high-risk driver by the state and insurance providers. Car insurance providers typically charge more for high-risk policies.

Talk with your insurance agent to find out how much you could potentially pay in higher premiums.

Ohio SR-22 insurance rates

Not every insurer offers SR-22 filing support. Compare cheap rates from Ohio insurance companies that offer SR-22 insurance. Your actual quotes will vary based on your demographics, location, driving record and other factors.

Rates last updated May 24th, 2019
Company Median annual rate Learn more
Allstate $382 Read review
Esurance $823 Read review
State Farm $453 Read review
Geico $601 Read review
American Family $453 Read review
Central $1,261 Read review
USAA $477 Read review
Average $636 Compare more reviews

How do I file for an SR-22 in Ohio?

To file for an SR-22 in Ohio, you’ll need to go through a car insurance provider licensed in that state. Most providers are willing to file for an SR-22 on your behalf for a fee.

The insurance provider will require you to pay for a policy that covers Ohio’s state minimums, which are:

  • $25,000 bodily injury liability per person.
  • $50,000 bodily injury liability total per accident.
  • $25,000 property damage liability total per accident.

Once you’ve paid for your policy, the insurance company will file your SR-22 with the Ohio BMV, typically within five business days. Soon after, you’ll receive a letter from the BMV confirming that you’re all set to get back on the road.

If you haven’t received notice within a week or so, call your provider to confirm that your SR-22 filing is in process. You’re not legally able to drive without it.

How long will I need an SR-22 in Ohio?

When you’re initially informed that you need an SR-22 — whether through the courts or from the BMV directly — you should also learn how long you’ll need it for.

In Ohio, you’re required to file an SR-22 for at least three years. That period could be longer, depending on your violation. For instance, if your conviction comes with a five-year suspension of your license, you’re typically required to file for an SR-22 for five years as well.

What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?

Once your filing period is up you’ll be able to switch providers and plans without worrying about when one ends and the other begins. Before you dial your insurance agent, check with the BMV that your mandate has officially ended.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

Ohio allows a grace period of only 15 days to renew your SR-22. If you let your insurance policy or certificate lapse, you face penalties that include the suspension of your license and even jail time.

If that’s not bad enough, failing to renew your car insurance or losing your coverage resets the clock on your SR-22 filing period. This means if you’ve faithfully kept up your insurance for two years and even inadvertently let it lapse, you go back to square one: three more years of filing and higher premiums.

Bottom line

You’re fully responsible for keeping your SR-22 filing in line. Stay on top of your payments, renew at least 15 days before your policy expires, be especially careful changing providers during the period and maintain a clean driving record to potentially avoid further suspension and fees.

Higher rates make it even more important to do research before signing onto a policy. Compare your options and find the provider that has the plan that best fits your needs.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance from companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    JJuly 2, 2018

    My sr22 just canceled today, is the 15 day grace period start today or when I missed my payment? I get payed in 3 days will my license be suspended b4 that??

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      nikkiangcoJuly 3, 2018Staff

      Hi J!

      Thanks for leaving a message on finder.

      When your SR-22 get cancelled, you are given a 15-day grace period FROM THE TIME IT IS CANCELLED and counted as day 1.
      If you let your insurance policy or certificate lapse, you face penalties that include the suspension of your license and even jail time.

      Hope this clarifies.

      Best regards,

Go to site