Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Mitsubishi Eclipse car insurance rates
The Eclipse is one of the most affordable SUVs to insure
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The Eclipse is known for its affordable price and sporty style. Those factors along with its older model year and multiple insurer options will likely keep your Eclipse insurance rates around the average of $1,300 per year. For comparison, the similar Acura ILX goes for $2,148 per year.
Our top pick: Progressive
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience.
- Easy online sign-up and reporting.
- Multiple discounts available.
- Transparent quoting.
- Top-rated insurer
- Online quotes & claims
- Bundle and save
Compare car insurance for your Mitsubishi Eclipse
How do I compare insurance for the Eclipse?
As a discontinued car model, the Eclipse comes with a low price tag and many insurer choices, possibly keeping rates low. However, you might choose extra coverage for comprehensive and roadside assistance due to this car’s theft history and moderate potential for breakdowns.
Factors to consider as you shop for insurance:
- Body type. This Mitsubishi model range comes as a convertible, coupe and now crossover CUV called the Eclipse Cross. Taking the Eclipse convertible option sets you up for a higher insurance premium due to higher MSRP and theft rates.
- Fuel. This car doesn’t get stellar fuel economy with a rating between 20 to 23 combined mpg.
- Maintenance. Owners have reported several complaints with this car, most notably transmission failure in the 1999 and 2001 models. These have resulted in repair expenses as high as $2,500.
- Theft. This car does have a history of theft with rates as high as five to seven thefts per 1,000 cars in production. That’s a mark against the car in your insurer’s eyes.
- Coverage. The Eclipse may not require a special policy or many add-ons due to the low cost of this discontinued model. However, consider comprehensive coverage in case of theft, collision for extra physical damage protection and roadside assistance due to potential breakdowns.
- Insurer options. Most insurance companies cover this car, giving you multiple options to consider.
- Warranty. Mitsubishi’s five-year warranty isn’t applicable to this vehicle since it was discontinued in 2012. You’ll have to pay for repairs and servicing out of pocket.
Does the Mitsubishi Eclipse qualify for discounts?
The Eclipse comes with several standard safety features to help you lower your premium with discounts:
- Antilock brakes
- Antitheft device
- Electronic stability control
- Daytime headlights
- Emergency trunk release
- Traction control
How reliable is the Mitsubishi Eclipse?
Older Eclipse models that could concern owners, including multiple recalls and transmission issues. However, 2010, 2011 and 2012 models have had fewer reported problems and include a high safety rating.
- Safety. The 3029 Eclipse Cross was awarded the IIHS top safety pick. However, the NHTSA has given the Eclipse Spyder a rating of Good for crashtestworthiness with a Moderate rating for the car’s head restraints and seats.
- Reliability. Some owners have issues with older year models, including expensive transmission failure and brake issues. The 2012 model has seen far fewer reported problems.
- Recalls. The car has multiple recalls, including problems with the brakes, fuel system, battery cables and steering. However, it has had a long production period, and the newest models don’t include any recalls.
For a sports car, the Eclipse comes with a low ticket price because it’s a discontinued model, giving insurers a reason to lower rates due to lower repair costs. However, older models have had several reliability and maintenance issues to consider.
Frequently asked questions about the Eclipse insurance
Read more on this topic
Aston Martin DBX insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Aston Martin DBX.
GoAuto car insurance review August 2020 Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
Compare the best auto and renters insurance bundles The best companies blend wide auto and renters coverage, free perks and strong value.
Compare RV rental insurance Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Honda Passport car insurance rates The Honda Passport’s high safety ratings and antitheft package may discount your insurance.
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Does car insurance cover PTSD after a car accident? How to make a car insurance claim for mental or emotional injuries after a car accident.