Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

Compare Minnesota SR-22 insurance

Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Minnesota

Been caught speeding one too many times or been involved in multiple accidents? If so you may be required to file for an SR-22.

How much does an SR-22 cost in Minnesota?

The fee your provider charges for filing the certification is usually $20 to $50. But the filing fee isn’t the most expensive part of an insurance certification form — higher premiums as a result of being categorized as a high-risk driver will likely hit your wallet hard.

The impact of an insurance certification form on your car insurance rates

Insurance certification forms are often required after a driving conviction, such as driving without insurance or DUI. After such a conviction, you’re considered a “high-risk” driver by Minnesota and most providers — which typically results in higher insurance rates. Still, you’ll find providers out there that specialize in high-risk drivers.Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

How do I file for an insurance certification form in Minnesota?

  1. Notify your insurer. If you already have insurance, let your provider know that you need to file an insurance certification. Most are equipped to file this form.
  2. Find an insurer. Not all providers will insure someone who is required to file an insurance certification. To find a provider who will, compare insurance companies.
  3. Pay the fee. Your insurer will charge you a minimal processing fee for filing the insurance certification.
  4. Verify minimum liability coverage. Minnesota’s liability insurance coverage minimums are:
    • $30,000 bodily injury or death of one person.
    • $60,000 bodily injury or death per accident.
    • $10,000 property damage.

    You’ll see it written as 30/60/10 on insurance documents.

  5. Submit your insurance certification. In Minnesota, typically your insurance provider will electronically file the certification on your behalf.

Compare Minnesota SR-22 car insurance

Find the best rates from insurance providers near you or learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Minnesota car insurance.

Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness Payment schedule States served
12 months, 6 months
All 50 states
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
12 months, 6 months, custom
All 50 states
Affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service. Only available to military members and veterans and their family.
All 50 states
Your dedicated agent can help you find the best savings with multiple discounts and rewards programs.
Liberty Mutual
12 months, monthly
All 50 states
Earn free accident forgiveness after five years claims-free and customize your policy anytime online at the tap of a button.
The General
12 months, monthly
All states except HI MA MI and NJ
Snag affordable coverage for high-risk drivers, a marketing claim backed by our rate analysis which showed premiums less than $80 a month.
12 months, custom, Monthly
All 50 states
Say hello to a local Farmers agent who can help you find the best savings from a long list of coverage options.

Compare up to 4 providers

How long will I need an SR-22 in Minnesota?

In Minnesota, you are typically required to maintain a certificate for three years. But the actual amount of time is determined by the severity of the crime.

Make sure you understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your insurance certification. A lapse or nonrenewal could set you back a lot of money and time.

What happens if I let my insurance certification lapse?

A lapse in your insurance certification could result in your license being suspended again. Suspension, even if it’s not the first one, will require that you renew your insurance and submit the certification again and that you pay any reinstatement fees.

Do I need to file an SR-22 in Minnesota?

Minnesota requires an insurance certification form if:

  • You’re caught driving without insurance.
  • You’re convicted of a DUI or reckless driving.

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file this certification form.

What if I don’t have a car?

You‘ll still be required to file an insurance certification form, even if you don’t own a car, if you want to get your license reinstated. Talk to your insurance provider about a non-owner or operator insurance policy.

What if I’m from another state?

If you have an SR-22 from another state, you’re required to maintain it while driving in Minnesota.

What happens when I don’t need insurance certification anymore?

It’s important to confirm that your certification is no longer required before you drop or change your current policy. You can contact Driver and Vehicle Services to do so, and from there you’ll be able to work out any shifts in your coverage with your insurance agent.

Bottom line

Regardless of why your license was revoked it’s important to maintain your insurance coverage to prevent it from happening again. Avoid any gaps in your coverage by keeping on top of your payments and renewing before the expiration date.

Compare providers to get the best policy for your money. Your premiums may be higher, but that’s just one more reason to take your time when shopping around for a plan.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site