Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

Compare SR-22 insurance in Kansas

Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Kansas

If you get in trouble while driving in Kansas, you could be ordered by the court to file for an SR-22. Commonly called “SR-22 insurance,” an SR-22 isn’t insurance at all. Rather, it’s a document your insurance company files with the state to prove you’re covered by the minimum car insurance required to legally drive. Compare how you can get and maintain an SR-22 in Kansas.

How much does an SR-22 cost in Kansas?

Once you’ve purchased or renewed a policy, most providers will file an SR-22 for a fee of $20 to $50.

But it’s not the fee that’s most expensive when you file for an SR-22: You’ll also typically see higher premiums than you’re used to.

The impact of an SR-22 on your car insurance rates

SR-22s are often required after a driving conviction, such as driving without insurance or a DUI conviction. With such severe convictions on your driving record, you’re considered a “high risk” driver by the state and most providers.

Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase. And make sure you understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22. A lapse or nonrenewal could set you back a lot of money and time.

How do I file an SR-22 in Kansas?

  1. Find an insurer. Ask your insurer if it issues SR-22s in the state of Kansas. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to find a car insurance company that does.
  2. Pay the SR-22 fee. To finalize your SR-22, you pay a fee to your insurer for processing the request and filing on your behalf.
  3. Verify minimum liability coverage. If you’re already insured, call your provider to verify your policy includes at least:
    • $25,000 for injury or death to one person.
    • $50,000 for injury or death to more than one person.
    • $10,000 for damage to property.

    You might see this minimum coverage listed as 25/50/10 in insurance documents.

  4. Submit your SR-22. Your insurance agent will file your SR-22 with the Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles.
  5. Wait for confirmation. You’ll receive a letter from your insurer that your SR-22 is accepted, which means you’re back in action.

Compare Kansas SR-22 car insurance

Find the best rates from insurance providers near you or learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Kansas car insurance.

Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness Payment schedule States served
12 months, 6 months
All 50 states
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
12 months, 6 months, custom
All 50 states
Affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service. Only available to military members and veterans and their family.
All 50 states
Your dedicated agent can help you find the best savings with multiple discounts and rewards programs.
Liberty Mutual
12 months, monthly
All 50 states
Earn free accident forgiveness after five years claims-free and customize your policy anytime online at the tap of a button.
The General
12 months, monthly
All states except HI MA MI and NJ
Snag affordable coverage for high-risk drivers, a marketing claim backed by our rate analysis which showed premiums less than $80 a month.
12 months, custom, Monthly
All 50 states
Say hello to a local Farmers agent who can help you find the best savings from a long list of coverage options.

Compare up to 4 providers

How long will I need an SR-22?

In Kansas, most court-ordered SR-22s result in a coverage requirement of three years.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

Continuous coverage is required for 12 months, and interruptions can occur from expiration, not filing on time or even canceling your original SR-22 coverage before your new insurer sends the certification to the DMV stating you meet the minimum insurance requirements.

Originally a lapse in your SR-22 coverage would only mean a suspension of your license and subsequent additional payment of the reinstatement fee. The state of Kansas has since reinterpreted the statute and you’ll be faced with restarting your filing requirement on top of the suspension.

Do I need SR-22 insurance in Kansas?

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. In Kansas, you may need to file for an SR-22 if:

  • Your license is suspended due to a safety-responsibility violation or unsatisfied judgment.
  • You’re convicted of a DUI.
  • You refuse to take a breathalyzer test.
  • You’re found driving without insurance.
  • The state restricts or revokes your license.
  • You’re under mandatory insurance supervision.

What if I don’t have a car or license?

You’ll still need to file for an SR-22 to legally get behind the wheel in Kansas. If you lose your license because you’re caught driving without insurance, the court could order you to carry non-owner insurance to reinstate your license.

What if I’m from another state?

If you have an SR-22 from another state, you must maintain it while driving in Kansas. Your SR-22 is likely to be sufficient in Kansas, but to avoid any problems, contact the DMV and your insurer to confirm.

What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?

No longer needing your SR-22 coverage is a freeing feeling, but there are some important steps to take before you abandon your current plan. First confirm with your local DMV that you’re completely out of your filing period. From there talk with your insurance agent about the best next steps for you to take.

Bottom line

Maintaining coverage and staying on top of your filing for the entirety of your mandated period is entirely your responsibility, and it can be a frustrating one if you’re not careful. Stay on top of your premium payments, be careful if you’re switching plans during the filing period and maintain a clean driving record to avoid having to start from square one.

You’re more than likely going to face increased premiums, so it’s especially important that you compare your options. Take your time and look for the insurer that can give you the coverage you need at a price you can afford.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site