Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Iowa |

Get cheap SR-22 insurance in Iowa

Filing for SR-22 in Iowa

If you’ve lost your license in Iowa, you may have to file for SR-22 insurance in order to get your license back.

SR-22 insurance isn’t insurance at all. It’s a certificate that verifies you have the minimum liability insurance required by law in Iowa.

Here’s a look at how you can get and maintain an SR-22 in the Hawkeye State.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Why do I have to file an SR-22 in Iowa?

You might be required by law to file an SR-22 if:

  • You’re convicted of an OWI or DUI.
  • You’re caught reckless driving.
  • You’re found driving without insurance.

What if I don’t have a car?

If you don’t own a car but you intend to drive, you still need to file for an SR-22. You’ll need to purchase a non-owner or operator insurance policy to get your license back.

What if I’m from another state?

If you have an SR-22 from another state, maintain it while driving in Iowa. Call the Iowa Department of Transportation to determine whether your SR-22 is sufficient in Iowa.

If you move from Iowa and want to apply for a license in another state, you still need to meet Iowa’s SR-22 requirements. You and a driver’s license official need to complete an Iowa Residency Statement form.
Once it’s completed, mail it to:

Iowa Department of Transportation
Office of Driver Services
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204.

How much does an SR-22 cost in Iowa?

Once you’ve renewed or purchases a policy, most providers will file an SR-22 for a fee $20 to $50. However, it’s not the filing fee that’s most expensive when you’re required to file an SR-22 — you’ll typically see higher premiums than you’re used to.

How do I file an SR-22 in Iowa?

  1. Find an insurer. Ask your insurer if it issues SR-22s in the state of Iowa. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to find a car insurance company that does.
  2. Pay the SR-22 fee. Your insurer will charge you a processing fee for filing the SR-22 on your behalf.
  3. Verify minimum liability coverage. Iowa’s minimum insurance requirements are:
    • $20,000 bodily injury for one person
    • $40,000 bodily injury for more than one person
    • $20,000 uninsured and $40,000 underinsured motorist coverage

    These are the minimum coverage requirements for the state of
    Iowa that you might see listed as 20/40/20 in insurance documents.

  4. Submit your SR-22. Your insurance agent will file your SR-22 with the Iowa’s Department of Motor Vehicles.
  5. Wait for confirmation. You’ll receive a letter from your insurer and the state of Iowa that your SR-22 is accepted.

The impact of an SR-22 on your car insurance rates

SR-22s are often required after a driving conviction, such as a OWI or reckless driving. After such a conviction, you’re considered a “high risk” driver by Iowa and most insurance providers — which typically results in higher insurance rates. Still, you’ll find providers out there that specialize in high-risk drivers.

Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

Make sure you understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22. A lapse or nonrenewal could cost you a lot of time and money.

How long will I need an SR-22 for in Iowa?

In Iowa, you usually need to keep SR-22 for two years once your license is reinstated.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Policy.
Go to site