Compare car insurance rates in Indiana |

Car insurance in Indiana

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

Getting cheap auto insurance in Indiana

Finding the right car insurance can be tough. Taking into account your needs, budget and the what your insurance company offers. On top of it all, each state has its own set of requirements for car insurance — and with so many different types of insurance you need to be able to weed through the extras so you can understand the base essentials.

No matter what insurance you decide on, if you’re planning on driving in Indiana, make sure you carry proof of your insurance plan with you. You can also pull up digital versions of this ID on any smart device to prove your coverage.

Our top pick:

  • Roadside help
  • Driver rewards
  • Fast claims

Our top pick: Root

Root offers simple, affordable insurance that’s ideal for good drivers. Try the Root app for 2 weeks and see how much you could save. Available in 20 states.

  • Rewards good drivers
  • Fast claims

Cheap car insurance in Indiana

Car insurance costs vary by state, city and ZIP code. Indiana sits slightly below the average cost for car insurance nationwide at around $93 a month or $1,112 a year. This is lower than the national average of $118 a month or $1,410 a year.

Factors that can influence your insurance cost include your driving record, your age and your car. Location-based factors can come into play as well, like crime rates where you live or work. If you live near a city, you could expect rates to go up too, since accidents are more common in cities than in rural areas.

Cheapest car insurance in Indiana

CompanyAverage annual rateLearn more
State Farm$219
Indiana Farmers$405
Geico/td> $616
American National$725
Western Reserve$846

Car insurance requirements in Indiana

In order to legally drive in Indiana, you’ll need minimum liability insurance, including:

  • $25,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per per+son.
  • $50,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per accident.
  • $10,000 in property damage liability coverage per accident.

When shopping for car insurance, you’ll sometimes see this written as 25/50/10.

When it comes to uninsured motorists coverage — which protects you in the event of an accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance — Indiana is an opt-out state. That means that Indiana insurance companies are required to offer you UIM insurance, but you can sign a waiver to opt out of carrying it.

You can also get additional types of insurance to better protect yourself, including:

  • Collision. Helps pay for repairs if your car is damaged in an accident.
  • Comprehensive. Covers you in case your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, a fire or vandalism.
  • Rental car. Helps you manage the financial fallout of car repairs.
  • Loan/lease gap coverage. If your car is completely totalled in a car accident, loan/lease gap coverage will pay the difference between what you owe on your car and what it’s worth at the time of an accident.
  • Medical payments. Assists in paying for medical bills incurred as a result of a car accident.
  • Emergency roadside service. Covers towing or labor costs caused by an accident.
  • Custom equipment. Helps pay for the cost of custom equipment on the vehicle that was damaged in an accident.

Compare Indiana car insurance

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Available states
Included free
Yes, cars under 2 years old
All 50 states
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
All 50 states
Car insurance through Liberty Mutual will give coverage options for almost any situation.
Included free
Root offers simple, affordable insurance that’s ideal for good drivers. Try the Root app for 2 weeks and see how much you could save. Available in 20 states.
Included free
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go. Available in 42 states.
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
Drive less than 30 miles a day? Save on the coverage you need with pay-per-mile insurance from Metromile. Get a low monthly rate then pay just a few cents per mile. Available in AZ, CA, IL, NJ, OR, PA, VA and WA.

Compare up to 4 providers

What happens if I’m driving in Indiana and I don’t have insurance?

If you drive in indiana and are found without insurance, your license will be suspended for at least 90 days. Any subsequent suspensions within a three-year period will led to an additional year suspension.

You’ll also be entered into the Previously Uninsured Motorist Registry (PUMR) for five years. While your name is in the PUMR, you can be randomly selected to provide proof of your insurance at any time.

Can I get temporary car insurance in Indiana?

Yes, you can. You might need coverage for a short period for a borrowed car or rental car. It’s perfectly legal to purchase short term car insurance for less than six months, but most insurance companies won’t offer this option.

Your best option might be to call your current insurance provider or an online provider to find out your options. You can also find a policy that lets you cancel for no or low fees, and transfer to a more long term option when you’re ready.

Uninsured drivers in Indiana

The state of Indiana requires that all of its drivers have insurance. However, it’s estimated that 14.2% of Indiana drivers are uninsured – that’s just above the 12.6% national average.
To protect yourself from damages in a car accident, consider adding uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance to your policy.

Find the cheapest rates

Compare the best car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Drunk driving laws in Indiana

Indiana’s legal limits of intoxication are the same as every other state in the country — 0.08% for normal drivers, and 0.04% for anyone driving commercially. However, some of Indiana’s fines and penalties are unique to the state.

First offense:

  • Fees and court costs: Minimum $300.
  • Fines: Maximum $5,000.
  • Imprisonment: Maximum 1 year.
  • License suspension: 2 years.
  • Submit to alcohol and/or drug testing.
  • Required to attend a substance abuse education course & victim impact panel

With each offense your penalties and suspensions increase, with a whopping 10-year suspension if you have a third offense within 10 years. And if you have two drunk driving incidents within 10 years resulting in injury or death, you’ll lose your license for life.

Additionally, Indiana has common consent laws that apply to chemical testing when a police officer thinks you might have been drinking. This means you legally have the right to refuse a roadside alcohol sensor test, otherwise known as a breathalyzer, but by refusing you’re likely to have your license suspended for up to 2 years. And with this law, it doesn’t matter what the test would have shown; your refusal, on principal, will get you in trouble.

SR-22 insurance in Indiana

Yes, you can. You might need an SR-22 in Indiana if you’ve gotten a DUI, lost your license or have too many violation points on your driving record. SR-22 tells the state you have the minimum coverage required to get back behind the wheel.

What happens after a car accident in Indiana?

Even if you’re shaken or dazed after a car accident, it’s important that you take some steps to protect yourself from unnecessary worries.

  1. Safety first. Check that no one involved in the accident has been injured. If someone has been injured, call 911 right away. If everyone is fine, try to move your vehicle so it won’t block the road. Even if no one is injured, it’s a good idea to call the local police and inform them of what’s happened.
  2. Exchange information. Write down the full names, car make and model and insurance information of the people involved in the accident. Don’t forget to include their addresses and driver’s license numbers in your notes.
  3. Notify your insurance agent. Call your insurance company before you leave the scene. They’ll be able to help guide you through more specific next steps. If you have questions about the accident, your insurance agent should be a good resource.
  4. Document the scene. Take pictures of the scene, paying special attention to capturing multiple angles of where the damage occurred. Take down the names of police officers and any potential witnesses to better protect your claim.

Who’s at fault after an accident?

Indiana is an at-fault, or tort, state. That means that if you’re found to be at fault for an accident, you’re required to pay for the damages, including any potential medical bills to those injured. Victims have the right to further pursue compensation for lost wages and any “pain and suffering” caused by the accident.

When should I report an accident to the authorities in Indiana?

Indiana state requirements for reporting accidents to authorities vary a lot based off of your specific situation. For example, if you damage someone’s unattended vehicle and can’t find them to give them your insurance information, you must call the police. If you’re unsure of the steps you should take, it’s usually a good idea to call your local police just to be safe. Failure to report certain accidents to the proper authorities can lead to license suspension, and even felony charges.

When will I need a certificate of compliance?

A Certificate of Compliance means that you’ve met your financial responsibility for owning a car. You’ll need to provide one if:

  • The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) receives an accident report for an accident in which you were involved.
  • You’ve been issued a traffic ticket within one year of previously receiving two moving violations or more.
  • You’ve committed a serious traffic violation.
  • You’ve committed any traffic violation when your license was previously suspended for not providing proof of insurance.

When any of these situations occur, the BMV will send a request for proof of car insurance to your home. You will then need to contact your insurance agent to submit the certificate to prove you were insured (or the vehicle was insured) at the time of the accident. The certificate needs to be electronically submitted within 40 days of the date you receive the request from the BMV. Otherwise, you may face suspension of your Indiana driver’s license.

Bottom line

Carrying auto insurance protects you, your family and fellow drivers. Research your insurance options to make sure that you’re receiving the coverage that you need — and that your state requires.

As always, to get the best coverage possible at a great rate, we recommend comparing your options and shopping around. To learn more about car insurance in general, from discounts to regulations, visit our comprehensive car insurance guide.

Find the cheapest rates

Compare the best car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Frequently asked questions about car insurance in Indiana

Which car insurance provider is best for me?

Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.

Question 1 of 2

Based on your answers, check out:

Compare more car insurance companies

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site