How to file for SR-22 insurance in Idaho |

How to file for SR-22 insurance in Idaho

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

If you’re required to file an SR-22 because you’ve gotten into trouble behind the wheel in Idaho, you’re not alone.

An SR-22 is proof of financial responsibility — a document issued by an insurance company verifying you have valid insurance coverage that meets your state minimum. The form is also an agreement with the state that your provider will notify the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) if you cancel your insurance coverage. This form must be filed before your license is reinstated.

Here’s what you need to know about obtaining and maintaining an SR-22 in Idaho.

Find the cheapest rates

Compare the best car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Compare car insurance providers

Find the best rates from insurance providers near you or learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Idaho car insurance.

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Available states
Included free
Yes, cars under 2 years old
All 50 states
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
Liberty Mutual
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
All 50 states
Car insurance through Liberty Mutual will give coverage options for almost any situation.
Included free
Root offers simple, affordable insurance that’s ideal for good drivers. Try the Root app for 2 weeks and see how much you could save. Available in 20 states.
Included free
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go. Available in 42 states.
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
Drive less than 30 miles a day? Save on the coverage you need with pay-per-mile insurance from Metromile. Get a low monthly rate then pay just a few cents per mile. Available in AZ, CA, IL, NJ, OR, PA, VA and WA.

Compare up to 4 providers

Do I need SR-22 insurance in Idaho?

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. Idaho law may require you to file an SR-22 if:

  • You’re found driving without insurance.
  • You’re convicted of reckless driving.
  • You’re convicted of a DUI.
  • You’ve acquired too many points on your driving record.
  • The state restricts or revokes your license.

What if I don’t have a car or a license?

In most states, you’re still required to file an SR-22 even if you don’t own a car if you want to get your license reinstated. In this case, you’d purchase a non-owner or operator insurance policy.

What if I’m from another state?

If you have an SR-22 from another state, you must maintain it while driving in Idaho. Your SR-22 is likely to be sufficient in Idaho, but it’s best to verify coverage with the ITD and your insurer.

Find the cheapest rates

Compare the best car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

How much does an SR-22 cost in Idaho?

The fee your provider will charge for filing the SR-22 is typically $20 to $50. Though it’s not the filing fee that’s most expensive when you’re required to file an SR-22 — you’ll also typically see higher premiums than you’re used to.

When you’re required to file an SR-22, it’s often linked to a driving conviction. DUIs, collisions that are deemed your responsibility and driving without insurance are all convictions that put you in the “high-risk” category of drivers.

Insurance providers tend to take extra precautions when it comes to high-risk drivers. You may need to pay your premiums for the year upfront in one lump sum rather than monthly or bi-yearly. Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

Companies that offer SR-22 car insurance in Idaho

Not every insurer offers SR-22 filing support. Compare cheap rates from Idaho insurance companies that offer SR-22 insurance. Your actual quotes will vary based on your demographics, location, driving record and other factors.

Rates last updated November 19th, 2018
Company Median annual rate Learn more
Allstate $484 Read review
State Farm $430 Read review
Geico $767 Read review
Progressive $367 Read review
Safeco $445 Read review
American Family $466 Read review
Farmers $569 Read review
Travelers $509 Read review
USAA $620 Read review
Average $517 Compare more reviews

How do I file for an SR-22 in Idaho?

To file for an SR-22 in Idaho, first contact your existing car insurance provider. If you don’t have one, search for a provider that offers to file on your behalf.

  1. Notify your insurer. If you already have car insurance, contact your agent and advise them that you need to file an SR-22. Most providers are equipped to file this form.
  2. Find an insurer. Not all providers will insure someone who’s required to file an SR-22. If yours doesn’t offer this service, find one that does.
  3. Pay the SR-22 filing fee. Your insurer will charge you a processing fee for filing the SR-22.
  4. Verify minimum liability coverage. Call your provider to make sure your policy includes at least:
    • $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person.
    • $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more people.
    • $15,000 for injury to or destruction of property.
  5. Submit your SR-22. In Idaho, your insurance provider will electronically file the SR22 on your behalf. As for proof of a successful filing before you get back behind the wheel.

Find out how to get an SR-22 with top car insurance providers

How long will I need an SR-22 for in Idaho?

In Idaho, how long you’ll need to maintain your SR-22 depends on why you were required to file the SR-22 in the first place.

For example, if your license is suspended as a result of failing to provide insurance, the amount of time you’ll need file an SR-22 coincides with the length of time your driver’s license was suspended.

Make sure you understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22. A lapse or nonrenewal could set you back a lot of money and time.

What happens if I let my SR-22 insurance lapse?

Your insurance provider is required to file an SR-26 with the ITD in the event that your insurance expires or is canceled. Once the SR-26 is received your license will be suspended and you’ll have to reset your filing period.

As an example, if you consistently make late payments and your insurer cancels your coverage two years into your three year mandate, you’ll have to maintain your SR-22 for another three years instead of just one more.

What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?

Once you’ve gotten through your entire filling period you’ll be able to switch things up if you need or want to. Be sure that you no longer need the SR-22 insurance by checking with the ITD and your insurance, then simply go about finding a plan that works for you.

Bottom line

In order to get your license reinstated you’re going to have to get SR-22 coverage. Whether that’s as a car owner or not, it’s probably going to be more than a little costly when it comes to insurance premiums.

Talk to your insurance agent about what those costs might be. Don’t hesitate to shop around and compare your options to get the deal that’s best for you and your wallet.

Find the cheapest rates

Compare the best car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site