Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Hyundai Kona car insurance rates
What to expect when insuring this crossover SUV
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The average cost to insure a Hyundai Kona is $1,464 per year, which is lower than similar crossover SUVs. For example, the Honda HR-V stands at $1,764 per year, and the Kia Soul is $2,112 on average. The Kona’s safety features, reliability and low maintenance costs could also help you get a lower premium.
Our top pick: Progressive
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience.
- Easy online sign-up and reporting.
- Multiple discounts available.
- Transparent quoting.
- Top-rated insurer
- Online quotes & claims
- Bundle and save
Compare insurance for your Hyundai Kona
How much does Kona car insurance cost?
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
|Santa Fe Sport||$165||$25,350|
How do I compare insurance for the Kona?
The Kona offers a compact body type with high gas mileage for an SUV. Hyundai also provides warranty coverage beyond what most manufacturers cover. These factors help keep maintenance costs down as well as lower your insurance premium.
- Body type. The Kona is a subcompact crossover SUV, making it a bit pricier to insure than a standard sedan.
- Fuel. This car’s combined mileage of 30 miles per gallon is good for an SUV. Plus, you can get an all-electric version starting with 2019 models.
- Maintenance. Hyundais tend to be one of the least expensive cars to maintain. Since the Kona has above-average reliability ratings, it will likely follow this trend.
- Coverage. Most buyers are likely using this car for a little extra space and style, so you can typically choose standard coverage options. For a newer model, consider adding collision, comprehensive and gap insurance for extra coverage above your state minimum.
- Insurer options. Given the Kona’s low risk to insure and top safety ratings, you’ll have your pick of insurance companies to cover you.
- Warranty. Hyundai backs up this car with a generous 5-year or 60,000-mile limited warranty and a 10-year or 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. Most other manufacturers offer three to five years on both.
Does the Hyundai Kona qualify for discounts?
The Kona may get you safety discounts on your car insurance due to several added safety features:
- Anti-theft system
- Anti-lock brakes
- Driver assistance technology
- Hybrid/electric discount on electric models
How reliable is the Hyundai Kona?
The Hyundai Kona is known for its safety and reliability:
- Safety. The 2018 Kona received a Top Safety Pick+ from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It also holds the highest ratings in all crash tests and a superior rating in front crash prevention.
- Reliability. The 2018 model has been rated as 3.5 out of 5 with U.S. News, an above-average ranking.
- Recalls. No recalls have been issued for this car.
The Kona brings an attractive mix of sporty SUV style, high gas mileage and high safety and reliability ratings. While its car insurance premium may not be as low as that of a four-door sedan, its features will likely get you an economical rate.
Compare car insurance providers for your Hyundai Kona to make sure you’re getting the right policy.
Frequently asked questions about the Hyundai Kona
Read more on this topic
Aston Martin DBX insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Aston Martin DBX.
GoAuto car insurance review August 2020 Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
Compare the best auto and renters insurance bundles The best companies blend wide auto and renters coverage, free perks and strong value.
Compare RV rental insurance Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Honda Passport car insurance rates The Honda Passport’s high safety ratings and antitheft package may discount your insurance.
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Does car insurance cover PTSD after a car accident? How to make a car insurance claim for mental or emotional injuries after a car accident.
Ask an Expert