Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Hyundai Kona car insurance rates
What to expect when insuring this crossover SUV
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The average cost to insure a Hyundai Kona is $1,464 per year, which is lower than similar crossover SUVs. For example, the Honda HR-V stands at $1,764 per year, and the Kia Soul is $2,112 on average. The Kona’s safety features, reliability and low maintenance costs could also help you get a lower premium.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Compare insurance for your Hyundai Kona
How much does Kona car insurance cost?
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
|Santa Fe Sport||$165||$25,350|
How do I compare insurance for the Kona?
The Kona offers a compact body type with high gas mileage for an SUV. Hyundai also provides warranty coverage beyond what most manufacturers cover. These factors help keep maintenance costs down as well as lower your insurance premium.
- Body type. The Kona is a subcompact crossover SUV, making it a bit pricier to insure than a standard sedan.
- Fuel. This car’s combined mileage of 30 miles per gallon is good for an SUV. Plus, you can get an all-electric version starting with 2019 models.
- Maintenance. Hyundais tend to be one of the least expensive cars to maintain. Since the Kona has above-average reliability ratings, it will likely follow this trend.
- Coverage. Most buyers are likely using this car for a little extra space and style, so you can typically choose standard coverage options. For a newer model, consider adding collision, comprehensive and gap insurance for extra coverage above your state minimum.
- Insurer options. Given the Kona’s low risk to insure and top safety ratings, you’ll have your pick of insurance companies to cover you.
- Warranty. Hyundai backs up this car with a generous 5-year or 60,000-mile limited warranty and a 10-year or 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. Most other manufacturers offer three to five years on both.
Does the Hyundai Kona qualify for discounts?
The Kona may get you safety discounts on your car insurance due to several added safety features:
- Anti-theft system
- Anti-lock brakes
- Driver assistance technology
- Hybrid/electric discount on electric models
How reliable is the Hyundai Kona?
The Hyundai Kona is known for its safety and reliability:
- Safety. The 2018 Kona received a Top Safety Pick+ from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It also holds the highest ratings in all crash tests and a superior rating in front crash prevention.
- Reliability. The 2018 model has been rated as 3.5 out of 5 with U.S. News, an above-average ranking.
- Recalls. No recalls have been issued for this car.
The Kona brings an attractive mix of sporty SUV style, high gas mileage and high safety and reliability ratings. While its car insurance premium may not be as low as that of a four-door sedan, its features will likely get you an economical rate.
Compare car insurance providers for your Hyundai Kona to make sure you’re getting the right policy.
Frequently asked questions about the Hyundai Kona
More guides on Finder
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
How does a VIN affect car insurance?
Learn how insurance companies use identifying info from your VIN to set rates.
Compare full coverage vs. liability car insurance
Which type of car insurance policy fits your car and driving needs?
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
Heacock Classic car insurance review March 2021
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
How to plan a road trip during coronavirus
Best tips for planning a road trip and saving money along the way.
Compare online driver’s ed courses
Pick the right online driver’s ed program and learn how long it takes to complete one.
Compare Auto Insurance
Get cheap car insurance rates.
Ask an Expert