Filing for SR22 insurance in Hawaii - what you need to know
SR-22 in Hawaii

Filing for SR-22 insurance in Hawaii

If you run into trouble on the roads of Hawaii, you may need to file for an SR-22 — also called financial responsibility insurance.

High-risk drivers in the Aloha State are required to file an SR-22 to prove they’re covered by the state’s minimum insurance requirements.

We’ve gathered what you need to know about filing for an SR-22 in America’s 50th state.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Do I need to file an SR-22 in Hawaii?

Hawaiian courts may require an SR-22 if:

  • Your have a safety responsibility suspension on your record — for example, you were responsible for an accident and didn’t pay for damages or injuries.
  • You are convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or refused a breathalyzer.
  • You’ve accumulated many points on your driving record.
  • You’re caught driving without insurance.

It’s key to check with your local driver agency to find out how to reinstate your license. Each county has it’s own division for driver’s licenses and vehicle registration.

What if I don’t have a car or license?

In most cases, yes. Insurance covers you — not your car. If you don’t have a car but will drive someone else’s, you’ll need to look into a non-owner policy. You’re also required to get non-owner insurance to reinstate your license in Hawaii.

Hawaii has fewer licensed insurers than most states, so research and compare your full range of options to find a provider that’s best for your needs.

How much does SR-22 insurance cost in Hawaii?

You could pay from $25 to $50 to file an SR-22, depending on your insurance provider. But the real penalty comes with an increase in your premiums.

In most cases, you’ll pay more for insurance now that you’re considered a high-risk driver. When you’re looking for affordable coverage in Hawaii, talk to an agent about how much your rates will increase and what you need to do to ensure timely renewal.

How do I file for SR-22 insurance in Hawaii?

If you already carry an insurance policy, contact your current provider to see how you can go about filing for an SR-22. Most insurance providers will file an SR-22 on your behalf for a fee.

To be eligible for an SR-22, your policy must cover Hawaii’s minimum liability requirements:

  • $20,000 bodily injury per person
  • $40,000 bodily injury total per accident
  • $10,000 property damage total per accident
  • $10,000 personal injury protection

Once you’ve purchased your policy, your provider will file an SR-22 with the Hawaii Department of Transportation.

You can’t drive until your SR-22 is fully processed, so stay on top of your filing status. If after a week you haven’t heard anything, call your provider.

Find out how to get an SR-22 with…

How long will I need an SR-22 in Hawaii?

You’re required to carry an SR-22 for a minimum of three years, but your exact penalty period depends on your offense and whether you face court penalties or fines.

It’s your responsibility to renew your policy each year. Failure to renew your insurance and SR-22 could add more time — and more money — to your filing requirement.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

Whether you fail to pay your insurance or don’t renew your SR-22 with your policy at least 15 days before it expires, your insurance company will notify the Hawaii Department of Transportation of the lapse. Once notified, the HDT may decide to suspend your driving privileges until you apply for a new SR-22.

If you allow your SR-22 to lapse in Hawaii, it won’t necessarily reset your time required to hold this type of coverage. But talk with your insurance provider or your local division of motor vehicles to confirm any penalties.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Policy.
Go to site