Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
GMC Sierra car insurance rates
What to consider when insuring this light-duty pickup
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Until recently, the GMC Sierra was nearly identical to the Chevrolet Silverado. With the rollout of the 2019 model, GMC introduced features to set the two apart, like a two-piece tailgate, carbon fiber bed, unique exterior styling and more.
The new Sierra has an average insurance cost of $1,300, but can vary based on the features you select.
Our top pick: Progressive
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience.
- Easy online sign-up and reporting.
- Multiple discounts available.
- Transparent quoting.
- Top-rated insurer
- Online quotes & claims
- Bundle and save
Compare car insurance for your GMC Sierra
How much does GMC Sierra car insurance cost?
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
How do I compare insurance for the GMC Sierra?
The GMC Sierra is a durable pickup truck that can handle both work and recreational use. The cost of insurance varies depending on the provider and how they calculate premiums, but most providers take into account these factors for GMC Sierra car insurance rates:
- Body type. Pickup trucks like the Sierra are often safer and more durable than sports cars and other two-door cars, which could contribute to lower insurance rates.
- Fuel. The Sierra is available with a gas or diesel engine, with the gas version being slightly cheaper to insure.
- Theft rates. Older models of the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado had high theft rates, which could increase the cost of coverage.
- Repair costs. Maintenance and repairs on this vehicle are fairly standard, so expect to get lower insurance rates compared to luxury vehicles.
- Coverage. While collision and comprehensive coverage are not required, you may want to add them for extra protection at the cost of higher premiums.
- Insurer options. You should have no problem finding coverage for this vehicle, so get quotes from as many providers as possible for the best price.
- Build options. Depending on your choice of drive train, engine size and other build options, your premiums could be higher or lower.
Does GMC Sierra qualify for auto insurance discounts?
The 2019 GMC Sierra is available with several safety, security and driver assistance features that may help you get discounts on auto insurance.
- Anti-theft device
- Passive restraint systems
- Anti-lock brakes
- Rear and side parking assist
- Blind zone alert
- Lane change alert
- Surround vision and rear camera mirror
How reliable is the GMC Sierra?
The GMC Sierra is a durable pickup that’s designed to withstand nearly snow, mud and off road. A few more important details to consider are:
- Safety. The 2019 GMC Sierra holds near-perfect scores in almost all categories, which should help you save on insurance.
- General reliability. Some GMC Sierras have issues with fuel gauges and improper HVAC temperature or air delivery, along with other minor problems that are less common.
- Recalls. GMC recalled some 2014-2017 GMC Sierra models for an issue that could prevent the seatbelts and airbags from deploying in an accident. Some 2015 models were also recalled for an issue that could cause power steering assist to momentarily fail.
The GMC Sierra is a moderately priced pickup truck that can handle job sites and casual driving and comes packed with a suite of safety and driver assistance features. Its durable, feature-packed design is one of the many factors that contribute to its affordable auto insurance rates.
However, your actual price may vary depending on your build options, driving history and other variables, so it’s important to compare your options to get the best coverage and price for your situation.
Frequently asked questions about the GMC Sierra
Read more on this topic
Aston Martin DBX insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Aston Martin DBX.
GoAuto car insurance review August 2020 Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
Compare the best auto and renters insurance bundles The best companies blend wide auto and renters coverage, free perks and strong value.
Compare RV rental insurance Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Honda Passport car insurance rates The Honda Passport’s high safety ratings and antitheft package may discount your insurance.
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Does car insurance cover PTSD after a car accident? How to make a car insurance claim for mental or emotional injuries after a car accident.
Ask an Expert