What to expect when insuring this full-size passenger van.
According to our research, the average cost to insure a GMC Savana is around $124 a month — or $1,488 a year. Your actual cost will vary depending on your driving record, the number of miles you drive in a year, your age, gender and other factors.
Compare car insurance for your GMC Savana
GMC Savana car insurance rates
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
How to compare insurance for the GMC Savana
When comparing insurance options for your GMC Savana, consider these factors:
- Price. You likely want to find the lowest rate to insure your GMC Savana, so compare insurance companies that offer special discounts you might qualify for.
- Deductible. You could choose a policy with a higher deductible to lower your monthly premium, but make sure you’ll have that cash on hand in case of an accident.
- Coverage. Your insurance will need to cover the state minimum requirements where you live. If you’re still making payments on your GMC Savana, your bank might also require you to carry collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Manufacturer offers. All 2007 and newer GMC vehicles are covered by GMC’s free 24-hour roadside assistance program for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. If your vehicle qualifies for this service, don’t worry about adding it to your insurance policy just yet.
What factors affect car insurance for the GMC Savana?
Despite its large size, the GMC Savana should come along with relatively modest insurance rates. Although the Savana 3500 costs about $4,000 more than the smaller 2500, both of these models should cost about the same to insure.
Driver factors and insurance costs
Beyond the make and model of your vehicle, other factors like your age, gender, location, credit score and accident history can affect your car insurance rates.
In all states except Massachusetts, Hawaii and North Carolina, women tend to qualify for cheaper car insurance rates than men. This is because statistics support the bias that women are generally more cautious drivers, which means insurance companies are less likely to have to pay out a claim.
Does the GMC Savana qualify for discounts?
Aside from scoring a new car discount, the Savana may qualify for other discounts based on its safety features that include:
- An antitheft security system
- Antilock brakes
- Stability control
- A rearview camera
The latest Savana models come with optional side-blind-zone alerts and hill-start assist. If your vehicle is equipped with these advanced safety features, you could save even more on your monthly insurance premium.
Reliability and safety ratings for the GMC Savana
Crash test ratings aren’t yet available for the latest GMC Savana models, but older Savanas have received average safety and reliability ratings.
There is currently one safety recall for some 2018 GMC Savanas:
- Equipment malfunction. The fire extinguisher may be clogged or inoperable, which could increase the risk of injury in the event of a fire.
The GMC Savana series maintenance
As a large-sized work or cargo van, the GMC Savana will generally cost more than a mid-size vehicle to repair and maintain. However, this can depend on whether you have a 1500, 2500 or 3500, as parts and labor for the 3500 Savana can be more expensive than for the 1500.
The downside to owning a 12-passenger vehicle like the GMC Savana is that your fuel economy will be much lower than other smaller vehicles. Expect to get up to 11 mpg in the city and 16 mpg on the highway.
How much can the GMC Savana tow?
When properly equipped, the GMC Savana can tow up to 10,000 pounds. For maximum towing capacity, you may want to choose the latest 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel option. Luckily, this option shouldn’t significantly affect your insurance rates.
Compare GMC Savana competitors
Looking for other car brands? Compare car makes and models that are similar to the GMC Savana.
Expect to pay average rates to insure your GMC Savana. If your vehicle is equipped with extra safety features or if you qualify for other insurance discounts such as paperless billing or bundling your home and auto insurance, you could save even more.
To make sure you’re getting the best rate and coverage options for your GMC Terrain, compare car insurance rates from a few different companies.
Frequently asked questions about the GMC Savana
Which car insurance provider is best for me?
Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out: