Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
GMC Acadia insurance rates
What to expect when insuring this midsize SUV
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
According to our research, the average cost to insure a GMC Acadia is around $136 a month, or $1,632 a year. Your actual cost will vary depending on your driving record, the number of miles you drive in a year, your age. gender and other factors.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Compare car insurance for your GMC Acadia
GMC Acadia car insurance rates
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
How to compare insurance for the GMC Acadia
When comparing insurance options for your GMC Acadia, consider these factors:
- Price. When comparing providers, explore the different discounts you might qualify for to get the best value for your coverage.
- Deductible. One way to lower your monthly premium is to take a higher deductible, meaning you’ll be on the hook for a larger amount before insurance starts covering property damage or medical bills.
- Coverage. At the very least, make sure your insurance policy covers the state minimum requirements where you live. If you have an upgraded trim package, consider extra coverage options such as collision and comprehensive.
- Manufacturer offers. All 2007 and newer GMC vehicles are covered by GMC’s free 24-hour roadside assistance program, so you won’t have to worry about adding this feature to your insurance policy.
What factors affect car insurance for the GMC Acadia?
Insuring your GMC Acadia shouldn’t cost a fortune, thanks to its high reliability and safety ratings, plus its status as a mid-range compact SUV.
This vehicle come in six different trim packages, which could slightly affect your insurance rates. The 2018 GMC Acadia is available in SL, SLE-1, SLE-2, SLT-1, SLT-2 and Denali trim levels. Usually, the more expensive your vehicle, the higher your insurance premium. If you go with an Acadia SL instead of an Acadia Denali, you could save a few bucks on insurance each month.
Additionally, Acadia models come available in either front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD). Insurance companies might give you a slight break on your premium if your car is equipped with AWD.
Driver factors and insurance costs
Beyond the make and model of your vehicle, other factors like your age, gender, location, credit score and accident history can affect your car insurance rates.
In all states except Hawaii, Massachusetts and California, your credit score can play a role in the car insurance rate you receive. This is because independent studies have found that the lower your credit score is, the more likely you are to file a claim.
Does the GMC Acadia qualify for discounts?
Aside from scoring a new car discount, the GMC Acadia comes with a number of safety features that could help you save on car insurance that includes:
- A Teen Driver feature that lets parents set speed and volume limits for other drivers
- Lane change alerts
- Rear cross-traffic alerts
- Forward collision alerts
- Front pedestrian braking
- Rear park assist
- A rearview camera
Keep in mind that not all driver-assist safety features come with every Acadia trim package, so check the specifications of your vehicle to make sure you’re saving as much as possible on insurance.
Reliability and safety ratings for the GMC Acadia
Like other similar GMC vehicles, the Acadia ranks high in both reliability and safety. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) gives the 2018 AWD GMC Acadia a 5 out of 5 overall safety rating, while the FWD model has a 4 out of 5 rating.
Similarly, JD Power gives newer Acadia models a 4 out of 5 reliability rating, although there are quite a few consumer complaints about reliability issues with older models.
GMC Acadia recalls
Currently, there are two recalls out for the 2017 and 2018 GMC Acadia:
- Powertrain issues. The driveshaft assembly may separate while driving, increasing your risk of a crash.
- Fuel system. The fuel pump may detach from its mount and damage the high pressure fuel line, increasing the risk of a fire.
The GMC Acadia series maintenance
You can expect to pay average costs for routine maintenance services like oil changes, brake pad replacements and tire rotation for the GMC Acadia. However, unlike similar SUVs like the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, the GMC Acadia gets below-average fuel economy:
- GMC Acadia: Up to 21 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
- GMC Terrain: Up to 28 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway.
- Chevy Equinox: Up to 28 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway.
What was GMC’s first SUV crossover?
The 2007 GMC Acadia was the first SUV crossover ever sold by GMC. Since the smaller Acadia is not built on a truck frame like the Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon, you can expect to pay a lower insurance rate than you would for a larger SUV or a full-size truck. This is because larger vehicles tend to cause greater damage in accidents, which translates to more expensive claims for insurance companies to pay out.
Compare GMC Acadia competitors
Looking for other car brands? Compare car makes and models that are similar to the GMC Acadia.
AInsuring your GMC Acadia should run about average, although it will probably cost just a bit more than insuring the similar GMC Terrain. If lowering your car insurance premium is important to you and you haven’t purchased your Acadia yet, consider the slight differences in insurance costs for the available trim packages, which could add up to a few hundred dollars per year in savings.
To make sure you’re getting the best rate and coverage for your GMC Acadia, compare car insurance rates from a few different companies before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions about the GMC Acadia
More guides on Finder
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
Say car insurance review Dec 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Life insurance for people with anxiety
Having anxiety might result in higher life insurance rates, but you can get coverage with most companies.
Compare van dweller insurance
Nail down the right insurance for your budget and van type, including converted vans or Sprinters.
Does insurance cover camping?
From bears to boats, know when your campout could use protection to cover all the possibilities.
Compare Auto Insurance
Get cheap car insurance rates.
How to buy life insurance during a recession
Learn how to choose a financially stable insurer and lock in a low rate for your policy.
Learn about RV camping, and see how much it costs.
Compare RV rental insurance
Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Ask an Expert