Filing for SR22 insurance in Georgia - what you need to know

Filing for SR-22 insurance in Georgia

If you’re convicted of a DUI or other driving offense in the state of Georgia, you may be required to file an SR-22 to get back on the road.

An SR-22 isn’t actually insurance but a document filed with the DMV by your insurance provider to prove that you have an active policy in place.

Here’s how to begin the process of filing an SR-22 in the Peach State.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Do I need SR-22 insurance in Georgia?

In Georgia, you may need to file an SR-22 if:

  • You’re convicted of a DUI or DWI.
  • The state restricts or revokes your license.
  • You’ve reached your point limit due to unpaid tickets or traffic violations.
  • You’ve racked up repeated traffic violations, such as reckless driving.
  • You’re in an accident and fail to compensate the other driver.

Georgia requires one of three types of SR-22 forms:

  • Non-owner operator’s certificate. Covers drivers who don’t own a vehicle.
  • Owner’s certificate. Covers cars you own, whether you regularly drive them or not.
  • Owner–operator’s certificate. Covers all vehicles you drive, even if you don’t own them.

Each form requires your insurance provider to prepare and include them with your insurance policy.

What is the difference between an SR-22 and SR-22A?

An SR-22 is required for drivers who are convicted of three or more violations within a five-year period.

More common in Georgia, SR-22As are for drivers convicted of only one or two violations over a five-year period. You might need one if you’re caught driving without insurance or with a suspended license.

What if I don’t have a car or license?

Even if you don’t own a car or regularly drive, Georgia could require you to file an SR-22A.

If you purchase a vehicle, you can convert your non-owner policy to an owner–operator policy.

What if I’m from another state?

If you’re from another state, you’re typically required to maintain an SR-22 to legally drive in Georgia. Call with your local DMV to ensure that you have proper coverage before you get back on the road.

How do I file for an SR-22 in Georgia?

Contact a state-authorized insurance agency to request for a SR-22 or SR-22A filing. You’ll pay a fee that varies by agency, and you could be required to pay your full coverage up front.

The state of Georgia requires minimum coverage that includes:

  • $25,000 for injury or death to one person.
  • $50,000 for injury or death to two or more people.
  • $25,000 for property damage.

Your insurance agent will file an SR-22 request directly to the Georgia Department of Driver Services on your behalf.

How long will I need an SR-22 for in Georgia?

Georgia could require you to maintain an SR-22 or SR-22A for at least three years. This requirement could increase, depending on your driving offense.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

If you don’t renew your insurance at least 15 days before the expiration date or you fail to pay your premiums, your provider will cancel your SR-22 and notify the state. In turn, the state may suspend your license until you get everything back in order.

If you have to renew your SR-22 due to a lapse in coverage, it might mean a “reset” on your requirement period. Stay on top of your renewals to avoid extending your SR-22 requirement.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Policy.