This luxury car may be less expensive to insure than you think.
Aimed at luxury shoppers, the Genesis G90 is a powerful full-size sedan. While it’s expensive to repair and replace, it comes with a suite of sophisticated safety features. Its impressive safety and reliability ratings and low theft rates help to balance out the cost of insurance.
For a Genesis, the average monthly premium is $175, which adds up to $2,100 a year. That number may vary depending on your provider, driving history, level of coverage and where you live. For instance, drivers in Maine can expect to pay far less than those in Minnesota.
- Rewards for safe drivers
- Basic to comprehensive
- Your own dedicated agent
Our top pick: Allstate
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
- Rewards for safe drivers, good students and more
- Get your own dedicated insurance agent
Get car insurance quotes for your Genesis G90
Genesis G90 car insurance rates
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
How to compare insurance for this vehicle
When you’re comparing providers, keep these factors in mind.
- Price. Above all, car insurance should be affordable without skimping on coverage. Figure out how much coverage you need, and use that sample to get quotes from multiple providers.
- Coverage types. The G90 is a high-end, high-performance car, so you may want to protect it by buying more than the minimum liability protection. Look into uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments coverage and personal injury protection (PIP).
- Extras. If you’re interested in taking advantage of add-ons like vanishing deductibles and accident forgiveness, ask your insurer for a list of those available.
- Restrictions. Thanks to its high safety ratings, you shouldn’t have a problem insuring your G90. But since it’s a luxury car, many insurers won’t cover teens, ridesharing drivers and policyholders driving overseas. Read up on these restrictions to avoid denied claims and gaps in coverage.
- Warranty. A 5-year, 60,000-mile basic warranty or 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty comes standard with any new G90. This is lengthier than most of its competitors. Genesis’s warranty program includes complimentary scheduled maintenance services for 3 years or 36,000 miles — whichever comes first.
Does Genesis offer any special programs?
- Connected to the military? Genesis offers a $500 discount on new vehicles for active duty, reservists, veterans and retired US military personnel. To find out if you’re eligible, contact your local dealer.
- Some dealers also participate in Hyundai’s College Grad Program, which contributes $400 to the purchase or lease of new cars.
- The Genesis Mobility Program can pay up to $1,000 toward the cost of installing adaptive equipment in your car.
What factors affect car insurance for the Genesis G90?
Insurers use complex algorithms to crunch their rates. The premium you’re offered is a product of your driving history, location and mileage, and the car you drive.
For a Genesis G90, your rate will be affected by these factors.
- Body type. The car is a luxury full-size sedan. It’s stylish, athletic and powerful, but its long warranty and built-in safety features help to offset the cost of insurance.
- Safety features. The G90 has more standard safety features than other cars in its class. Some of its standout features include blind-spot monitoring, automatic emergency braking and lane-departure warnings. These reduce the risk of damage in an accident and often reduce insurance rates, too.
- Repairs. As a high-performance sedan, the G90 is expensive to repair or replace, which could cause a bump in premiums.
- Fuel option. Both the 3.3L and 5L models have turbocharged engines and run on premium gas, which can increase rates.
Driver factors that affect insurance rates
If we had to use one word to describe car insurance rates, it’d be variable. Along with looking at your age, gender, location and the car you drive, insurers analyze your driving history and any violations, accidents and claims. If you’re the proud owner of a clean driving record, you’ll most likely score a cheaper rate.
Insurers also check out your nominated drivers. Are teenagers driving your car? Are drivers with speeding tickets and traffic violations on your plan? If so, you’ll probably be charged a higher premium.
Finally, most providers in all states except Hawaii, Massachusetts and California factor in your credit. The better your credit, the better your rate, but there are insurers who specialize in covering drivers with poor credit.
Does the Genesis G90 qualify for discounts?
Yes. Depending on your provider, your G90 may be eligible for several safety discounts. Typically, these types of discounts can slash your premium by up to 30%.
- New car discount
- Antitheft discount
- Safety feature discount
Reliability and safety ratings for the Genesis G90
The G90 has impressive safety and reliability ratings. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) named the G90 a 2018 Top Safety Pick, which is the agency’s highest honor. The car was commended for its crash prevention technology, strength and headlights. It hasn’t undergone testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) yet.
US News ranked the G90 number 2 in the luxury large car category, second only to the Tesla Model S. It awarded the model an overall score of 9 out of 10 and a perfect score for its safety features, saying that the G90 has more standard safety features than any car in its class.
The car also earned a Women’s Choice Award for safety and reliability, and the AutoPacific President’s Award, scoring the all-time highest satisfaction in the award’s history.
What’s the Women’s Choice Award?
According to Women’s Choice Award, women buy 52% of all new cars sold in the US and influence more than 85% of all car purchases. The organization aims to empower women’s decisions by rating cars, along with various other products and services. To win the Women’s Choice Award, a model has to meet stringent standards for safety, reliability, family and eco friendliness.
The G90 has a full suite of active and passive safety features, including automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, lane-keep assist and rear-cross-traffic alerts. As US News points out, many of these features are optional in competitor cars like the Audi A7. The model also has child safety locks and two complete sets of LATCH child seat connectors. By adding additional features like antitheft devices, you may be eligible for further discounts.
In May 2018, Hyundai recalled 37 G80 and G90 cars. The manufacturer said the windshields and rear windows might have been installed with the incorrect primer, which could increase the risk of those parts flying off while driving. To find out more, look up recall number 18V305000.
Reviewers agree that the G90’s fuel economy is subpar. According to Fuel Economy, the average annual fuel cost is $2,550 for the 3.3L model. This figure reflects the current fuel prices and a mix of 45% highway and 55% city driving over 15,000 miles. Fuel Economy estimates that you’ll pay $5,000 more in fuel costs over five years compared to the average new vehicle.
Why does the Genesis G90 look so familiar?
If the G90 looks familiar, your eyes aren’t deceiving you. For the 2017 model, Genesis refreshed and redesigned its Equus sedan and reintroduced it as the G90.
In South Korea, where the car is made, the Equus was so fancy and spacious it was often used as an executive limousine chauffeuring CEOs and VIPs. The G90 sticks to the theme, with a very roomy backseat measuring 37.8 inches, along with entertainment and climate controls.
Compare Genesis G90 competitors
Interested in other luxury cars? Compare similar makes and models.
As a large luxury car, the G90 is costly to repair or replace. While that would normally mean more expensive premiums, the car’s sophisticated safety features and Genesis’s long warranty make it less risky to drive and insure. If you qualify , you could shave off a few more dollars with discounts for military personnel and defensive driving.
As always,compare car insurance providers to find the best value for your coverage.
Frequently asked questions about the Genesis G90
Which car insurance provider is best for me?
Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out: