Discounts, flexible payments and a “life coach” that guides you to your best rates and coverage.
Shopping for car insurance can be a frustrating experience, what with coverage categories, state regulations and driving records required for the lowest rates.
Direct Auto Insurance attempts to eliminate the guesswork involved in finding the exact coverage you need by providing a “life coach” to guide you through the process.
What is Direct Auto Insurance?
Founded in 1991, Direct Auto Insurance is a smaller part of the National General Insurance Company. It specializes in “pleasant surprises” that set it apart from the competition.
What sets Direct Auto Insurance apart?
Direct Auto Insurance offers low-cost insurance policies to “nonstandard” drivers — also known as high-risk drivers — that may have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere. It can help drivers file for an SR-22, if required for coverage.
What is an SR-22?
Sometimes called a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, an SR-22 is a form provided by your car insurance company to confirm that you have liability coverage. If you have no driving-related violations on your driving record, you likely do not need this form.
SR-22s are sometimes mandated by states or courts for drivers whose records include DUIs or DWIs, driving without insurance, repeat traffic offenses or revoked or suspended licenses. If you do need an SR-22, the court or your local DMV will notify you.
Pros and cons
- Discounts. Direct Auto offers discounts to safe drivers, members of the military and more, with additional savings for bundling coverage. They claim to save customers who switch 25% or more.
- Flexible payments. You decide when and how much you’ll pay each month based on your budget. And you can pay online, by mail or at one of 400 Direct Auto offices.
- Customized services. A Direct Auto “life coach” guides you through questions to determine how much coverage is right for your needs.
- DirectDrive app. Use your smartphone to monitor your driving behavior, log car trips or access ID cards.
- Limited coverage. Direct Auto Insurance services only 13 states at this time. If you live outside its territory, you’ll have to look elsewhere for insurance.
- Customer service. Online reviews reveal low ratings and complaints with the BBB and National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Claims by phone only. At this time, Direct Auto does not offer the ability to file a claim online or through its app.
Direct Auto insurance competitors
What car insurance coverage does Direct Auto Insurance offer?
- Bodily injury liability. Protects you financially if you cause a car accident that injures another person.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Comprehensive coverage. Covers your car if it’s stolen, vandalized or damaged by an animal.
- Medical payments. This optional coverage pays for medical bills beyond what your health insurance covers.
- Personal injury protection. Where available, this optional coverage pays for medical bills and indirect costs — like lost wages — from auto accidents.
- Uninsured motorist. Just like it sounds, pays for expenses related to being hit by an uninsured driver or a hit and run.
- Towing, labor and rental reimbursement. Optional coverage for your roadside repairs and the cost of a rental car, if your car is repaired due to an accident.
- Accidental death. Pays you or your beneficiary in the event of accidental death or loss resulting from an accident.
Does Direct Auto offer other types of insurance?
Yes, Direct Auto can cover your chopper, commercial fleet and more with customizable products that include:
- Motorcycle insurance. Extends to cruisers, sports bikes and scooters.
- Roadside assistance. Low-cost 24/7 emergency towing, tire repair and lockout services.
- Life insurance. Individual policies that start at $0.75 a day.
- Emergency protection plans. Fills the gaps to cover unforeseen hospital stays, ambulance rides and even child care that your typical auto insurance may not fully cover.
- Mexico auto insurance. Tourist policies that protect you while driving south of the border.
- Commercial auto insurance. Protects your single work vehicle or your fleet of 20 business trucks.
Direct Auto can take the frustration out of finding the exact coverage you’re looking for, whether to cover state minimums or protect multiple assets. Its customized service approach extends to higher-risk drivers, who may find it difficult to get coverage at all.
If you don’t live in one of the 13 states it services or simply want to know what else is out there, compare the rates and options of other car insurance providers.