How to file for SR-22 insurance in Connecticut |

How to file for SR-22 insurance in Connecticut

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

If you’ve gotten into trouble behind the wheel in Connecticut, you might be required to show proof of insurance. In many states this is done with an SR-22 form.

An SR-22 is a form you file with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) that acts as proof of future financial responsibility and shows you have the state’s legal minimum liability coverage for car insurance.

Learn how to obtain and maintain proof of insurance in Connecticut.

Compare Connecticut car insurance providers

Find the best rates from insurance providers near you or learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Kansas car insurance.

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Available states
Included free
Yes, cars under 2 years old
All 50 states
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
All 50 states
Included free
Included free
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Yes, cars under 1 year old & 15,000 miles

Compare up to 4 providers

Find the best rates from insurance providers near you or learn more about state minimums and other requirements in the comprehensive guide to Connecticut car insurance.

Do I need an SR-22 form in Connecticut?

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. You’ll probably have to file an SR-22 form in Connecticut if:

  • You’re caught driving without your state’s legal minimum for auto insurance coverage.
  • Your driver’s license has been suspended because of too many traffic violation points.
  • You’re caught driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI).
  • You failed to pay for damages for an accident you’re held responsible for.

What if I don’t own a car?

If you want to continue driving, you’ll need an SR-22 form on file whether or not you own a car. Ask insurance providers in your area about non-owner or operator insurance to find the kind of coverage you need.

What if I live in another state?

If you live in a different state and have an SR-22 form on file there, you have to maintain it no matter where you are. Your existing SR-22 filing is probably sufficient in Connecticut, but it’s best to check with your insurer and the nearest DMV to make sure.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance from companies near you.

Your information is secure.

How much does SR-22 insurance cost?

You can expect to pay between $20 and $50 to file an SR-22 form with your state through an insurance provider. While this isn’t much money, the real cost comes with your insurance premiums, which are likely to be higher than you’re used to.

SR-22s are often required after a driving conviction, like driving without insurance or a DUI when you’re considered high-risk by the state and by most providers.

Talk to your provider about how much you can expect to pay. Be sure to understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22 certificate. If you let your coverage lapse or fail to renew your policy, you could potentially be on the hook for fees and pay for SR-22 insurance longer. You could be expected to pay the annual premium up front, to protect the insurance company from the risk of nonpayment.

Companies that offer SR-22 car insurance in Connecticut

Not every insurer offers SR-22 filing support. Compare cheap rates from Connecticut insurance companies that offer SR-22 insurance. Your actual quotes will vary based on your demographics, location, driving record and other factors.

Rates last updated January 2nd, 2019
Company Median annual rate Learn more
Liberty Mutual $1,550 Read review
Allstate $870 Read review
State Farm $700 Read review
Geico $2,199 Read review
Safeco $2,879 Read review
Travelers $1,049 Read review
USAA $1,648 Read review
Average $1,556 Compare more reviews

How do I file an SR-22 in Connecticut?

In cases where your SR-22 form is mandated by the court, you could be required to file through the state DMV.

If you’re already insured, call your provider to make sure your policy covers the state’s legal minimum for accident liability. If you don’t have car insurance, find an insurance company that’s licensed and willing to provide you SR-22 coverage. You won’t be allowed to drive until your SR-22 form has been filed and processed.

How long will I need to keep an SR-22 on file?

It’s likely you’ll re required to hold an SR-22 for three years. However, more serious convictions like DUIs resulting in injury or repeated infractions could mean you’re stuck with an SR-22 for up to 10 years. Check your court order to make sure you know exactly how long you’re expected to file for.

What happens if I let my SR-22 coverage lapse?

If your coverage lapses at any point while you have an SR-22 on file, your insurance provider files aSR-26 form with the state or DMV. An SR-26 lets the state know you’ve failed to maintain proper insurance coverage, and your SR-22 term will start over. You may have a short grace period to provide proof that you’re covered by another provider, but that depends on your circumstances and the court’s or DMV’s discretion.

For example, if you’ve been maintaining SR-22 coverage for two years, and the filing is mandated for three, a lapse in coverage causes your mandatory term to reset. That means three more years of paying for an SR-22 — five years in total. Don’t allow a moment of negligence to cost you more money and time.

What happens when I don’t need an SR-22 on file anymore?

Once your SR-22 term expires, your insurer will file a form to end the coverage. Your insurer can do this through the DMV or online with the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA). Check with your insurance provider once your SR-22 term is up to make sure they’ve ended your special coverage.

Insurance costs after your SR-22 term is finished

After the SR-22 form is no longer hanging over your head, you should see your insurance premiums return to a level close to what you were paying before your SR-22 filing.

The SR-22 form doesn’t cost anything to file, but the classification of a high-risk driver on your record is what makes an SR-22 costly. Once you prove you’re a safe, responsible driver, it’s likely your insurance rate will decrease.

Find out how to get SR-22 insurance with top car insurance providers

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance from companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Andy Frakes

Andy's background in journalism and experiences with endurance sports have left him hungry for challenges, and he finds plenty to conquer with the finder team. When he isn't writing the best car insurance articles on the Internet, he's probably out shooting photos, hunting for bargains in SoHo or eating breakfast food (yes, for the third time today).

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site