Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Colorado’s cheapest SR-22 insurance

Compare cheap SR-22 insurance in Colorado

Find cheap car insurance quotes for SR22

Enter zip to see insurers who file SR22s.

Your information is secure.

How much does an SR-22 cost in Colorado?

Once you’ve purchased or renewed a policy, most providers will file an SR-22 for a fee of $20 to $50.

But it’s not the fee that’s most expensive when you file for an SR-22: You’ll also typically see higher premiums than you’re used to.

The impact of an SR-22 on your car insurance rates

SR-22s are often required after driving without insurance, a DUI or other serious driving convictions. As a result, the state and most providers consider you “high risk.”

Talk to your provider about how much you can expect your rates to increase.

And make sure you understand your role in maintaining your insurance and your SR-22. A lapse or nonrenewal could set you back a lot of money and time.

How do I file an SR-22 in Colorado?

  1. Find an insurer. Ask your insurer if it’s authorized to issue SR-22s by the state of Colorado. If not, find a provider that is.
  2. Pay the SR-22 fee. To finalize your SR-22, you’ll pay your insurer a fee for the filing convenience.
  3. Verify minimum liability coverage. If you’re already insured, call your provider to make sure your policy includes at least 25/50/15 coverage:
    • $25,000 for injury or death to one person.
    • $50,000 for injury or death to more than one person.
    • $15,000 for damage to property.
  4. Submit your SR-22. Ask your insurance agent to file your SR-22 for you, or mail it to the Colorado DMV in Lakewood. If you mail your SR-22, you may need to include an Application for Reinstatement form if your license was suspended.

How do SR-22s work in Colorado?

To get driving privileges reinstated in Colorado, you’ll need to file an SR-22 with the DMV through your insurance company for three years. If you don’t keep continuous insurance, you can face a license suspension. By filing the SR-22 form, you’re proving your financial responsibility and your minimum liability coverage.

Types of SR-22s in Colorado

The SR-22 is not technically insurance, rather it’s proof of your financial responsibility. There are three types of Colorado SR-22 certificates:

  • Operator’s certificate. For drivers who don’t own a vehicle.
  • Owner’s certificate. For drivers who intend to drive their own cars.
  • Operators–owners certificate. Coverage for all cars you might drive, whether you own them or not.

Do I need SR-22 insurance in Colorado?

Your state DMV will let you know if you need to file an SR-22. In Colorado, you may need to file for an SR-22 if:

  • You’re convicted of a DUI.
  • The state restricts or revokes your license.
  • You’ve acquired 12 or more points on your driving record within the previous 12 months.
  • You’re responsible for an accident and fail to pay for damages.
  • A judge orders a mandatory insurance supervision.

    What if I don’t have a car or license?

    You’ll still need to file for an SR-22 to legally get behind the wheel in Colorado. Ask your insurer about how you can get an operator’s certificate.

    What if I’m from another state?

    If you have an SR-22 from another state, you must maintain it while driving in Colorado. Your SR-22 is likely to be sufficient in Colorado, but it’s best to verify coverage with the DMV and your insurer.

    What happens when I don’t need SR-22 coverage anymore?

    Avoid penalties by confirming that your mandate is completely finished before canceling or changing your policy. Once you’ve contacted your local DMV to establish it’s done you can go about shifting to a different insurance plan without fear of penalties from the court.

    What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

    Your insurance company will notify the Colorado DMV if you let your coverage lapse when the SR-22 is still required. Should this happen, your license will be suspended.

    It’s incredibly important for you to keep up on your SR-22 insurance and renew it annually until the mandate ends.

    Compare Sr-22 car insurance companies

    You may need to file one of three different SR-22 forms in Colorado if you make major violations, such as drunk driving or not paying liability damages after an accident. Filing the SR-22 doesn’t cost that much, but you can expect to pay higher premiums for several years because of your increased driving or financial risk.

    1 - 6 of 10
    Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness States served
    AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
    This broker shines with over 600 positive customer reviews, more top ratings than any broker we've compared.
    All 50 states
    Get your most compatible insurance options via a "smart matching" method aimed at finding you value.
    All 50 states & DC
    Affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service. Only available to military members and veterans and their family.
    All 50 states & DC
    Get quotes in 30-seconds from 100+ companies, and save an average of $800 or more per year. Requires online login to your existing insurance.
    AZ, CO, IL, IN, MD, MO, OH, OK, TX, WI
    Benefit from this online-based startup’s steep savings and convenient online quotes and claims.
    All 50 states
    Compare personalized rates from multiple insurance companies in one go. Plus, access a live agent for any questions along the way.

    Compare up to 4 providers

    Bottom line

    One of three types of SR-22 certificates may be required if you have a serious enough driving conviction, even if you don’t own a vehicle. By renewing your coverage every year can prevent an extension of your mandate, and get you back to the regular market faster.

    A mark on your record may follow you for a while, but there are still options available. Compare insurance carriers to get a policy that meets your needs at a reasonable rate.

    More guides on Finder

    Ask an Expert

    You are about to post a question on

    • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
    • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
    • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
    • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

    By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

    Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

    2 Responses

    1. Default Gravatar
      JoAnnApril 5, 2018

      If you need a SR22 do you need to carry it on more than one vehicle policy?

      • Default Gravatar
        nikkiangcoApril 5, 2018

        Hi Joann,

        Thanks for your message and for visiting finder – the leading comparison website & general information service built to give you advice in your buying decision needs. How are you doing today?

        An SR-22 R-22 insurance” isn’t insurance at all. Rather, it’s a document your insurance company files with the state to prove you’re covered by the minimum car insurance required to legally drive.

        If you have more than one vehicle policy, you should let your insurance know that you’d need to file an SR-22 with the policy.

        Hope this clarifies!

        Best regards,

    Go to site