We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
2020 BMW X3 xDrive 30e car insurance rates
This plug-in hybrid version of the X3 should offer relatively low insurance rates for a luxury electric SUV.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Insurance for the X3 xDrive 30e hybrid is expected to be slightly higher than the X3, mainly due to the electric nature of the vehicle.
You can expect insurance to be around $195 a month for the hybrid, or $2,340 a year. With an expected price of $50,000, this puts its annual insurance cost-to-base car price ratio at 4.7%, which is higher than the national average of 4%. This makes it relatively inexpensive to insure compared to other luxury electrics.
Compare car insurance for your BMW X3 xDrive 30e
How do I compare insurance for the X3 xDrive 30e?
Hybrids and plug-in hybrids offer the best of both worlds: electric power with zero emissions for city driving and a conventional gasoline engine for more power on the open road. Here are considerations that could affect insurance rates:
- Body type. The X3 xDrive 30e is a sport crossover SUV, which is pricier to insure than standard sedans but less than a sports car or full-size SUV. However, it’s considered a luxury vehicle, which can make it more expensive to repair.
- Fuel. The X3 xDrive 30e is a hybrid gas/electric vehicle with an expected electric range of around 31 miles from its standard 12-kilowatt battery. Its turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4 engine gives it a combined fuel consumption of a whopping 98 mpg.
- Theft rates. The BMW X3 series is one of the least stolen vehicles on the market, which helps keep insurance rates low.
- Maintenance. Maintenance on the gas version X3 is low in the first few years of ownership, and BMW has a history of making solid electric cars, so expect minimal maintenance costs.
- Coverage. With an estimated price tag of around $50,000, you’ll likely want full coverage on your vehicle, which includes liability, comprehensive and collision coverage. Also, consider buying uninsured motorist coverage, which pays out if another driver can’t cover the costs of an accident.
- Warranty. BMW offers warranty options through its Ultimate Car program. The standard warranty includes full service for three years or 36,000 miles, with higher limits available. All options include unlimited roadside assistance while under warranty.
- Manufacturer offer. BMW routinely offers discounts and incentives through its dealership network, which include cash back offers and low APR financing.
Does the BMW X3 xDrive 30e qualify for discounts?
The X3 xDrive 30e should qualify for the following vehicle discounts, with higher-end models offering more:
- Antilock brake discount
- Antitheft discount
- Electric vehicle discount
How reliable is the BMW X3 xDrive 30e?
- Safety. US News rated the regular 2019 BMW X3 with a 9.7 out of 10 for safety ratings. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gives the standard X3 the highest “good” rating on almost all safety categories. BMW’s other electric vehicles also receive good safety ratings, so expect the X3 xDrive 30e to receive similar high scores.
- Reliability. BMW makes reliable vehicles and has a long line of electric cars that have held up to the demands of the road. The regular X3 has good scores for reliability on the Consumer Reports website, so expect similar strong marks for the X3 xDrive 30e.
- Recalls. BMW hasn’t faced recalls on other electric models, so the X3 xDrive 30e should be safe from a manufacturer recall.
The BMW X3 xDrive 30e plug-in is the hybrid version of the carmaker’s popular X3 series. It offers reasonable insurance rates for a luxury electric crossover, mainly due to BMW’s strong manufacturing and low theft rates. You can also look for a company that offers a discount for having an electric vehicle.
Before purchasing insurance on the X3 xDrive 30e, be sure to compare different insurance companies to find one that best suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions about the Ford Escape
Read more on this topic
Noblr car insurance review Noblr car insurance offers monthly premium discounts based on your safe driving habits.
Compare carshare car insurance Make sure the free insurance offered by carshare services is enough protection for you.
Compare car insurance for self-employed drivers Self-employed drivers need to balance getting the best rates with protecting their business.
Compare Allstate car insurance discounts You could save well over 30% by taking advantage of Allstate’s numerous car insurance discounts.
Compare Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts Save extra money with Liberty Mutual by taking advantage of its numerous car insurance discounts.
Which gas should you use in your car? When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
How does car insurance cover additional drivers? Insurance should cover drivers listed on your policy, but double-check how your company handles unnamed drivers.
Compare car insurance with accidental death benefits An accidental death benefits rider can help cover funeral expenses after a fatal car accident.
Does driver assist technology affect car insurance? Driver assist technology won’t discount your insurance premium, but it could save your life.
Ferrari LaFerrari car insurance rates You can expect to pay a lot to buy — and insure — this hybrid hypercar from Ferrari.
Ask an Expert