Car insurance is tough to shop for — all the big companies seem to offer the same coverage at similar prices. But could it be worth it for you to go with a smaller company?
American Family Insurance aims to gain the trust of their customers through top-notch customer service and protection.
What is American Family?
American Family Insurance began in 1927 by insuring farm trucks and equipment. It’s since expanded into several product lines and has more than $1 billion in assets. American Family is one of the few companies to make a step toward sustainability, including an on-site fish hatchery and garden plots for employee use.
American Family provides insurance in the following 19 states:
Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin
Pros and cons
- Highly rated support. American Family Insurance earns consistent high praise for its customer service.
- Multiple discounts. Pay less when you bundle services, add multiple cars, safely drive, are a good student and indicate your car’s safety features.
- Easy claim filing. You can file a claim online, over the phone or in person with your American Family agent.
- Innovative products. Keep an eye on your kids with the Teen Safe Driver Program, which allows you to review video of your teen on the road.
- Limited coverage area. If you don’t live in one of the states that American Family services, you may need to look elsewhere.
- Website hard to navigate. American Family’s website is tricky to use and requires you to enter your vehicle’s VIN when applying for a free quote.
American Family auto insurance competitors
What car insurance coverage does American Family offer?
American Family offers comprehensive coverage in 19 states across the US.
- Bodily injury liability. This protects you if you injure someone with your car, but it doesn’t cover damage to you or your car.
- Personal injury protection coverage. Pays for the medical expenses of an injured driver and passengers in your car.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Covers you for damages and injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage. Covers you for damages other than a collision, like vandalism.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Emergency roadside service. Helps if you break down and you need roadside repairs.
- Rental reimbursement. Covers the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired.
- Gap coverage. Closes the gap between what your car’s worth and what’s owed when the car has been totaled.
Does American Family offer any other types of insurance?
American Family offers coverage for just about anything you value, from your home, life and business to umbrella, farm and ranch insurance, along with a bundle of retirement products.
American Family is one of the top 10 insurance companies in the country, despite its limited coverage. With more than 3,500 agents across the US, service is available anytime.
If a reliable company with a commitment to corporate responsibility is appealing to you, get a free quotes online, in person or over the phone. To be sure you’re getting the best deal on car insurance, be sure to compare prices across a handful of providers.