Filing for SR22 insurance in Alabama - what you need to know

Filing for SR-22 insurance in Alabama

If you’ve run into trouble recently on the road in Alabama, you could be ordered to file an SR-22, also called financial responsibility insurance.

If you’re marked as a high-risk driver, Alabama requires an SR-22 to prove that you’re covered by the state’s minimum car insurance requirements.

But don’t let the logistics get you down. Here’s what you need to know about getting an SR-22 in Alabama.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Do I need SR-22 insurance?

In Alabama, you’re required to file an SR-22 if:

  • Your driver’s license is suspended or revoked.
  • You’re caught driving without insurance or are unable to show proof of insurance to authorities.
  • You’re found guilty of a DUI/DWI or reckless driving.

What if I don’t have a car or license?

Yes, if you want to drive. An SR-22 covers you — not your car. Whether you own a car or not, you’re required to file an SR-22 to reinstate your license.

If you don’t own a car, you may be able to purchase a non-owner policy and file a non-owner SR-22. Ask your insurance company what’s best for your situation.

How do I file for an SR-22 in Alabama?

Most car insurance providers are willing to file an SR-22 on your behalf for a fee.

How to file for an SR-22

  1. Call your current insurance company or find a provider licensed in Alabama.
  2. Purchase a policy that covers the state’s liability coverage and request an SR-22.
  3. Confirm with Alabama’s Department of Safety that it’s received your SR-22.

Your policy must cover Alabama’s state minimum liability coverage.

  • $25,000 bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 bodily injury total per accident
  • $25,000 property damage total per accident

When your license requires an SR-22, you cannot legally drive until it’s validated. If you’re not been notified of its acceptance within a week of filing, reach out to your insurance company to confirm you’re legal before hitting the road.

How much does an SR-22 cost?

The cost of filing an SR-22 depends on your insurance provider. Most fees range from $15 to $50.

Your biggest cost, however, will come from increased insurance rates. SR-22 are required for high-risk drivers, and insurance companies typically charge more to cover that risk.

If you’ve received a DUI or were caught driving without insurance, you’ll pay more for coverage. Talk with your provider and ask how much more you can expect to pay.

Find out how to get an SR-22 with top car insurance providers

How long will I need an SR-22 in Alabama?

It depends on your violation. Alabama requires an SR-22 for a minimum of three years — usually for driving without insurance. When you’re convicted of a DUI, you could need to file an SR-22 for up to five years. The state can choose to reduce your requirement to 36 months if you keep your record clean and your insurance is up to date for the first three years.

What happens if I let my SR-22 lapse?

If you fail to pay on your policy, the state will revoke your SR-22. Your insurance company is forced to file an SR-26 with the DMV, and your license is suspended until a new SR-22 is filed.

Don’t make a complicated situation worse by missing payments or not renewing your insurance policy. Failing to renew your insurance or SR-22 could reset the clock on your filing period, putting you right back to square one.

Bottom line

After losing your license, convicted of a DUI or getting caught without insurance, you can file for SR-22 to get back on the road. You’ll need to prove to the state of Alabama that you’re covered by the state’s minimum car insurance requirements for three to five years.

Once you’re no longer required to have SR-22 insurance, you might see your car insurance premiums go up, but it’s worth it to know your driving record is getting back on the right track. And even after an SR-22 or DUI, you’re not without options for car insurance coverage. Compare car insurance providers who aren’t afraid to take on high-risk drivers.

Get back on the road quickly

Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare now
to see the best SR-22 rates in your area.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Policy.
Go to site