Car insurance for international drivers in the US |
Car insurance for overseas visitors to the US

Car insurance for international drivers in the US

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

Get the coverage you need for your American road trip.

If you’re traveling around the US and don’t plan to use public transportation, you’re likely going to need a car. To legally drive in most states, you need a minimum amount of car insurance. And depending on whether you’ll be driving a rental car, borrowing one or buying your own, different insurance rules apply.

  • Top-rated insurer
  • Online quotes & claims
  • Bundle and save

Our top pick: Progressive

Save up to 31% with safe driver discounts and bundling all your rides in one convenient policy.

  • Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience
  • Easy online sign-up and reporting
  • Multiple discounts available
  • Transparent quoting

Compare car insurance for international drivers

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Available states
All 50 states
Save up to 31% with safe driver discounts and bundling all your rides in one convenient policy.
Drive less than 30 miles a day? Save on the coverage you need with pay-per-mile insurance from Metromile. Get a low monthly rate then pay just a few cents per mile. Available in AZ, CA, IL, NJ, OR, PA, VA and WA.
Drivers in these states can apply: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, ID, KS, MA, MD, ME, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WY
As the nation’s second largest auto insurance company, Geico streamlines the process of purchasing car insurance. Drivers in these states can apply: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, ID, KS, MA, MD, ME, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA and WY.
All 50 states
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
All 50 states
Car insurance through Liberty Mutual will give coverage options for almost any situation.
Root offers simple, affordable insurance that’s ideal for good drivers. Try the Root app for 2 weeks and see how much you could save. Available in 24 states.
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go. Available in 42 states.
All 50 states
Backed by nearly 100 years in the business, Farmers Insurance aims to offer options and support to help you find the coverage you need.

Compare up to 4 providers

Do I need insurance to drive in the US?

Yes. In order to legally drive in most states, you’ll need to meet the state’s minimum car insurance requirements. Your specific situation as an international visitor will affect the type of policy you’ll need.

Driving a rental car

Rental companies offer insurance coverage on their vehicles. If you’ll be renting a car, you can purchase insurance from the rental company — just make sure you’re not duplicating any coverage that you might already have. Many credit cards with travel rewards include car rental insurance, so check to see if you’re already covered. If not, obtain insurance through the rental company or get short-term insurance through a provider.

Driving a borrowed car

Many policies cover any driver of the car, not just the owner. How long you’ll be driving the borrowed car will also affect whether you’ll be covered under the existing policy, so check with the provider. The car’s owner might need to temporarily add you to their policy if you’ll be using it on a regular basis for an extended period of time.

Driving a car that you bought in the US

Many visitors to the US opt to purchase a car here for a road trip around the country. Some will sell the car before they head back to their home country, while others export their car back home at the end of their trip. In either case, you’ll need to register it in the US once it’s purchased.

Some states offer temporary registrations. In order to register your car, you’ll need to show proof of insurance, so temporary insurance might be a good option in this case. Alternatively, you can purchase a traditional insurance policy that allows you to cancel coverage at any time without fees.

Driving a car-sharing vehicle

Travelers are no longer limited to the traditional, big-name car rental companies. Alternative car-sharing services are popping up all over the country. Most car-sharing vehicles will already be covered under an insurance policy, so you likely won’t be required to obtain insurance.

Zipcar, the most well-known car-sharing network, takes care of the insurance and gas. Turo covers the insurance but requires you to replace the amount of gas used before you return the car. Whichever service you go with, always ask about insurance.

Get the cheapest quotes

Compare car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

What kind of coverage do I need?

Most states require a basic policy with minimum coverage levels that you’ll need to meet. You can then choose to add optional coverage that offers extra protection against all the other mishaps that might happen while on the road.

Basic coverage usually includes:

Optional insurance coverage can include:

  • Comprehensive. Ensures you’re covered for the expense of replacing or repairing your vehicle — regardless of fault — for damages that aren’t within your control, including fire, vandalism and flooding.
  • Medical payments. Helps you with your medical costs resulting from a car accident — no matter who’s at fault.
  • Collision. If you’re at fault in an accident, your liability insurance kicks in and pays for the other driver’s costs.
  • Umbrella. Protects you beyond the coverage offered by your insurance.

What are the car insurance requirements in the US?

Coverage requirements vary by state, but most require you to have some amount of liability protection. For example, Florida requires all drivers to have $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 in property damage liability. In New York, however, the required coverage is far more extensive.

Check with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for the particular state you’ll be driving in. If you’re renting a car as opposed to purchasing or borrowing a car, the rental agency can help you with insurance requirements.

What car insurance do backpackers need?

If you plan on backpacking around the country, one of the most cost effective ways to see the US is to grab a cheap car and take out a temporary insurance policy. Many policy add-ons could be especially helpful to backpackers. Roadside assistance will come in handy when you’re in a remote location and run into car trouble. Consider adding comprehensive if you’re driving on rural roads that aren’t well maintained or have a high chance of animal encounters.

Your car insurance application typically asks for an address, so what address should you use if you’re traveling a lot or staying at campgrounds? You have a few options for setting up your nomadic address.

  • You might be able to set up a PO box to collect your mail and use as your address.
  • If an address with a PO box isn’t accepted, some mail forwarding services will give you a street address that still goes to your PO box but looks like a permanent address.
  • Some RV clubs also offer mailboxes or mail forwarding services, so you can use your campground’s address.
  • Check with your chosen insurer to find out how they handle address requirements. You don’t want to risk voiding your policy if your insurer thinks you’ve falsified your address.

How do I apply for insurance?

In order to take out a policy from an insurance provider as opposed to a car rental company, you’ll need to meet specific eligibility requirements. Some states only require that you have a valid, unexpired driver’s license from your home country.

Other states require an international driving permit (IDP) which must be obtained in your country of residence. Regardless, you’ll also need to provide appropriate details when applying for coverage, which may include:

  • Mailing address in the US
  • Contact phone number or email address
  • Vehicle registration details

If you’re opting to obtain insurance through a car rental company, they’ll handle it for you.

Do I need the additional coverage offered by the rental company?

If you have a vehicle registered and insured in the US, that coverage will typically extend to a rental car. Check with your provider to find out if this is the case for you, as well as how much coverage applies to the rental car. If you don’t have insurance on a vehicle in the US, you’ll need to get insurance through the rental company.

Another option for avoiding the insurance coverage offered through the rental company is utilizing the car rental insurance benefits that come with your travel rewards credit card. Check with your card’s issuer to find out if they offer this coverage and what exactly is included. If it’s only the bare minimum, consider some of the additional coverage that the rental company offers.

License requirements for visitors to the US

If you plan on driving while visiting the US, you’ll need a valid driver’s license.

In some states, your valid, unexpired license from your home country is sufficient. Other states will require you to carry an international driving permit (IDP). Check with the DMV of each state you’ll be driving in to find out its requirements.

In either case, an IDP can be helpful. It translates information from your license into English so an officer can read it. IDPs must be obtained in the same country that your driver’s license was issued, and you must carry both the IDP and your driver’s license. IDPs are valid for one year.

7 tips for driving in the US

For a smoother trip, there are a few things to keep in mind abut road safety in the US.

  1. Keep right. Drivers must drive on the right side of the road. Additionally, if there’s more than one lane driving in your direction, slower traffic should stay to the right.
  2. Buckle up. Most states require front seat passengers to wear their seat belts at all times. Some states require all occupants to wear their seat belts.
  3. Use child safety seats. All children in the US must be safely secured with a child seat or seatbelt. As a general rule, babies and small children are not allowed to sit in the front seat, and children under eight must be in a car seat or booster seat unless they’re over 4’9″ or weigh more than 40 pounds.
  4. Don’t drink and drive. US police officers are vigilant about cracking down on drunk drivers. Most states have a blood alcohol limit of 0.08.
  5. Watch for red light cameras. If you go through a red light, you might receive a fine in the mail.
  6. Know how to use four-way stops. When coming to a four-way stop — an intersection with four stop signs — the car that arrives and comes to a complete stop first can proceed through the intersection first. If two cars come to a stop at the same time, the driver to the right has the right of way.
  7. Right turns at a red light. In many states, you can turn right at a red light if you’ve come to a complete stop, there’s no oncoming traffic and there’s no sign indicating no turn on red.

Get the cheapest quotes

Compare car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Bottom line

Most states in the US require some amount of car insurance coverage. How you go about obtaining a policy will depend on whether you’re renting a car, borrowing a friend’s or buying one to use on your trip. Check with the DMV in the particular states you’ll be driving in to find out what’s expected of you in terms of coverage amounts and driving permits.

Compare car insurance coverage to learn more about how car insurance works in the US and to get the best coverage.

Common questions about driving in the US

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site