Over 50? It could be worth reviewing your car insurance.
Getting older definitely has its downsides, but there are a few perks as well. Paying less for car insurance can be one of them, as insurers recognize your experience on the road and driving history. If you’re in your 50s and it’s been some time since you last reviewed your car insurance, it could be worth comparing other options on the market to see what’s out there.
- Top-rated insurer
- Online quotes & claims
- Bundle and save
Our top pick: Progressive
Save up to 31% with safe driver discounts and bundling all your rides in one convenient policy.
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience
- Easy online sign-up and reporting
- Multiple discounts available
- Transparent quoting
Compare car insurance for over 50s
7 steps to pay less for your over-50 car insurance policy
With the increase in competition among car insurance brands, more and more providers are offering a wide range of discounts and bonus offers to keep existing customers and to get new ones.
- Shop around after age milestones. Review your policy after reaching a new age bracket to make sure you aren’t paying more than you need to. If you do find a cheaper quote for an equivalent policy, your current insurer may be willing to lower your prices and you can save without needing to switch.
- Look for discounts. These are a very straightforward way of simply paying less.
- Sign up online. With comprehensive policies, you can get discounts, sometimes as much as 25% off, simply by signing up online instead of over the phone.
- Restrict drivers. Many insurers will let you choose to restrict drivers. If no one under 25 will be driving your car, make sure you specify this. If you don’t, then you might be paying more than you need to.
- Choose your deductible. Insurers that offer a variable deductible option can help you reduce your premiums. Select a higher deductible for lower premiums, or choose a lower deductible for easier claims if you don’t mind higher premiums.
- Get a multi-policy discount. This discount is for customers that hold multiple insurance policies from the same insurance company. The way it works will vary between insurers, but it’s widely available and worth looking for.
- Accumulate your no-claims bonus. You can take this discount with you when switching to a new insurer, which means it’s worth growing over time. In the long run, comprehensive policies can help you grow this more easily as they can include options for making no-fault or broken glass claims without losing your no-claims bonus.
- Pass a safe driving course. Some insurers will reduce prices for good drivers that have passed an approved road safety course.
What should I be looking for in policy for over 50s?
No matter how old you are, it’s always worth considering each aspect of an insurance policy. Over 50s and pensioners in particular might want to look for the following:
- No claims discount. Look for policies where you can take your no-claims bonus with you when switching car insurance.
- Restricted driver option. Many insurers will offer restricted driver options. Since your age discounts are so considerable at 50+, it’s worthwhile to look for this option.
- Variable deductible option. You can’t adjust your own deductible and premiums if the insurer doesn’t offer this choice.
- Limited use discounts. If you aren’t driving as much as you used to, there’s no reason to be paying as much as you were. Limited use or pay-as-you-drive policies can make an exceptional difference for those that don’t drive much.
- Pay monthly at no extra cost. If you can afford to pay your annual premiums in one large sum, that’s often the most cost-effective choice. For many pensioners, this isn’t an option. You can specifically look for policies that let you pay premiums monthly, without paying more in total costs.
What types of coverage are available for over-50 policies?
Almost everyone has the same coverage options. Picking the right one involves finding that balance between cost and coverage to get the value.
- Liability refers to the money you’re liable to pay for damaging someone else’s property or bodily injury.
- These liability expenses are some of the most expensive risks you’ll face on the road, and this type of policy can provide up to $20 million in coverage.
- Liability coverage is one of the most important forms of protection.
- You generally won’t get more than minimal protection for your own vehicle, if any, with this type of cover. It is intended for liability costs only. If you want to protect your vehicle, this type of coverage is generally not suitable.
Comprehensive car insurance. This is a thorough level of protection that can cover you against damage from hail, storms, flooding and more.
- Typically, only comprehensive car insurance can cover you against a wide range of different damage.
- Extras often start with comprehensive coverage. If you want cover for windscreen glass replacements, free towing or similar benefits, then comprehensive car insurance might be the way to go.
- Comprehensive car insurance also includes all the benefits of liability coverage.
- With comprehensive car insurance, you are getting some of the most effective protection on the market.
Driver’s license requirements for over 50
There are no special licensing requirements when you turn 50, and you can start accessing lower premiums by simply comparing quotes and switching car insurance as normal.
But be aware that for drivers who turn 70 or 75, special conditions may apply based on your license type and state.
Once you hit your 50s, you’ll often enjoy cheaper car insurance based on your driving experience. But you can always save on your car insurance at any age by comparing rates to find the best policy for you.