Earn unlimited miles on everything you buy and get a generous signup bonus.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5.0
- Get this card if you want to earn 2x miles on everyday purchases.
- Pick something else if you want an intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($95 thereafter)|
|Standard purchase APR||17.99%, 22.74% or 25.24% variable|
|Intro purchase APR|
|Standard balance transfer APR||17.99%, 22.74% or 25.24% variable|
|Intro balance transfer APR|
|Balance transfer fee||3%|
|Cash advance rate||25.24% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $39|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Offer||50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||2x miles on all purchases and 10x miles at hotels.com/venture|
|Base Rewards||2x miles|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card is a travel card with a simple rewards structure. You’ll earn miles on everything you buy and you’ll get 10 times more miles for bookings through the Hotels.com Venture site.
Furthermore, you get a generous signup bonus and Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credits.
Get a 50,000-mile bonus when you spend $3,000 or more on purchases in the first 3 months of card membership.
Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit.
Get a $100 statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck when you pay with your card. You’ll get this credit once every four years.
Earn 10x miles on purchases from the Hotels.com Venture site until January 31, 2020, and an unlimited 2 miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases.
What's the value of the Venture® from Capital One® bonus?
According to the provider, the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card has a signup bonus worth $500 when redeemed for travel. This is solid, though the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers a higher-value bonus for a similar annual fee.
How good are the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card rewards?
In short: This card offers some of the best rewards on the market.
For flat-rate rewards, 1.5% is a standard rate. Meanwhile, the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offers a 2% rate, which is a great deal if you can stomach the card’s annual fee.
The card gets more valuable considering not many travel cards offer equivalent rewards. The PenFed Pathfinder Rewards American Express® Card is one alternative, however, giving Capital One a run for its money.
Stellar hotel rewards
You might not like booking through online travel agencies like Hotels.com. You may, for example, despise inflexible cancellation policies or not earning credits toward hotel elite status.
But consider booking through Hotels.com with your Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card, as you’ll earn superb rewards on eligible bookings. No other product offers a stronger rewards rate on hotels.
You’ll also like …
No foreign transaction fees.
When you travel abroad and you use your card, you won’t pay any fees. Other cards have up to a 3% fee for each foreign transaction.
No penalty APR.
Most cards come with a penalty APR of up to 30% when you make a single late or returned payment, and it can last indefinitely. But with this card, you’ll only pay a fee.
Visa Signature benefits.
Get benefits such as 24/7 Visa concierge service, auto rental insurance, extended warranties, emergency card replacement and more.
High minimum credit line.
Your credit line depends on multiple factors, but the minimum credit line you’ll get with this card is $5,000. This is considerably higher when compared to other cards where the minimum credit line varies from $500 to $2,000.
Survey data on Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
What credit score did you have when you were approved for this credit card?
Based on a survey of 21 people on finder.com
What interests you most about this credit card?
Based on a survey of 43 people on finder.com
|Features and benefits||39.53%|
How do Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card benefits stack up to the competition?
They’re great compared to what you’ll find with close competitors such as the PenFed Pathfinder Rewards American Express® Card and Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
- The Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit is a good value. Typically, you’ll find this perk in premium travel cards only.
- Other cards can’t go toe to toe with the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card on Hotels.com rewards.
- Mile transfers to travel partners are one of the best new additions to this Capital One product. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers point transfers, but the PenFed Pathfinder Rewards American Express® Card doesn’t.
Is there Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card travel insurance?
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offers travel accident insurance and auto rental collision damage waivers. Check out our guide to learn more about these benefits.
What to watch out for
After your free intro year, you’ll pay an annual fee of $95 to use the card. This means you’ll need to spend $4,750 on everyday purchases or $950 on the Hotels.com Venture site to offset the annual fee.
Potentially high APR.
If you don’t have an excellent credit score, you may end up with an APR on the higher end of 24%. Considering the average APR is around 16%, this is relatively high. But if you pay your balance in full and on time, you won’t have to worry about it.
No intro APR period.
This card has no intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers. If that’s what you’re looking for, consider an intro APR card.
Compare travel credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
Apply for the card if you’re a US citizen or permanent resident of the US and you’re at least 18 years old.
You’ll need to fill out personal details, including:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
- Your financial information, including employment and annual income.
During the application process, you can choose whether or not you want to make a balance transfer, and you can opt to receive further communications in Spanish if that’s your preferred language.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. An excellent credit score of 740 or higher will greatly increase your chances of approval. A higher score will also land you with a lower APR and a better credit limit.Back to top
What do customers say about the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card?
Most customers love the Purchase Eraser perk, the flat 2% return they get on all purchases and they especially love the high credit line they received. The negative feedback revolves around the high APR that some customers received — but if you pay on time, this shouldn’t be a problem.
Capital One gets an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, which accredited the bank in 1995.
How do I apply for the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card?
- Learn more about how to apply for the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card.
How long will it take to get my Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card Rewards Credit Card?
Due to its automated preapproval process, Capital One usually makes a decision within 60 seconds. In some cases, it may take up to 10 business days.
Upon approval, expect your card and welcome materials to arrive within seven to 10 business days.Back to top
I received the card. Now what?
- Download the Capital One Mobile app. Use it to pay your bills or send money to friends and family. You can also monitor your card activity or redeem rewards through the app.
- Pay on time. Try to pay your balance by your due date — a minimum of 25 days after the close of each billing cycle — to avoid paying late fees and interest.
- Customer service. Call Capital One customer service at 800-227-4825 if you have any questions.
How can I redeem the miles I earn?
- Pay for past purchases. With a feature called Purchase Eraser, you can redeem miles for bookings you made within the last 90 days. To do so, log on to your Capital One account or call the rewards center and get a statement credit for the amount you spent.
- Redeem for travel. Log on to your Capital One account or call the rewards center to book your flight, hotel or car rental with your miles. For travel booking, 100 miles are worth $1.
- Non-travel redemption. You’re not limited to using miles on travel purchases. You can also get cash back in the form of a check or statement credit, merchandise or gift cards. For non-travel redemption, the value of your miles may vary.
If you travel often and spend more than $10,000 per year with your card, this can be a good pick for you. You’ll get to earn miles on every purchase you make — plus earn 10 times more miles on purchases from the Hotels.com Venture website, which equals 10% back in travel redemption.
Frequently Asked Questions
Travel card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.
Images: Capital One