Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business review
A low-fee business credit card with excellent 2% unlimited cash back.
finder.com’s rating: 4.4 / 5
- Get this card to earn unlimited 2% cash back on business spending, one of the most lucrative unlimited cashback rates available.
- Pick something else if you need to save money on interest, whether on balance transfers or initial purchases.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 2%
for the first year ($95 thereafter)
Purchase APR (variable)
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business card is an excellent cashback credit card with an intro $0 annual fee, a generous signup bonus of $500 and an unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases you make.
One of the simpler business rewards cards on the market, the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business makes up for this with cash back strength with no spending complexities to get in your way. You get an unlimited 2% cash back on your purchases, with no earning cap and no reward categories. Other business cards on the market either offer 1.5% back on all purchases, or restrict your higher-earning rates to specific categories. That makes this card good for businesses of all sizes who want reliable cash back for all their spending. And while the card doesn’t offer travel benefits, it does omit foreign transaction fees, so you can use this card abroad without incurring additional charges.
Pay no mind to the card’s annual fee starting on the second year — you only need to spend a little over $4,000 each year to make up for the cost of the card, something that most businesses will do in no time at all. However, if you need to make some initial investments in your business and you’re hoping to save on interest, this isn’t the best card on the table: it lacks a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers, so you’d want to look at more specialized business card options.
If you’re otherwise looking for an easy way to earn one of the highest available unlimited cashback rates for businesses on the market, the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business is a terrific choice.
How to apply for the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business
- Go to Capital One’s website.
- Highlight Credit cards at the top menu and click on Business rewards from the drop down menu.
- Click Apply now under the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business.
What should I know before I apply
To apply for the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business, you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or legal resident.
You’re required to provide information that includes:
- Your business name, address and industry.
- Ownership type, years in business and tax ID.
- Your annual revenue and monthly expenses.
- Your personal and financial information, including monthly housing costs.
What credit score do I need?
You can apply with a good business score of 670. But a high credit limit may require a higher credit score.
Keep in mind that Capital One conducts a triple pull on your credit history from TransUnion, Equifax and Experian, while other banks pull from one credit bureau only.
What’s my likelihood of approval?
To increase your chances of approval, apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
How long will it take to be approved?
Capital One automates conditional approval on its website, which means you could see a decision in minutes if you’ve provided accurate information. Applications that need further review may take several business days for processing.
How long will it take to get my Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business card?
After approval, you should receive your card by mail in seven to 10 business days.
Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business benefits
- Unlimited cash back. Get 2% cash back on all purchases with no limits as to how much you can earn. Redeem your cash back as a statement credit, a check or for credits toward previous purchases, gift cards and more.
- Signup bonus. Spend $4,500 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open to earn $500 in statement credit.
- Visa® Business benefits. Get car rental insurance, purchase protection and 24/7 travel emergency services should you need medical, legal or other services while traveling with your Visa business card.
- Free employee cards. Add employee cards to your account at no additional cost and earn cashback rewards on all employee purchases. Simply call the number on the back of your card to add employee cards to your account. You must be the primary cardholder, a listed business owner or an authorized company officer to add cards.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t pay fees on international transactions when you use your card abroad. Other cards charge up to 3% of each transaction.
- Fraud alerts. Get real-time alerts for fraud attempts and $0 fraud liability if you lose your card or it’s stolen.
- APR on purchases and balance transfers. The Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business comes with 20.99% variable APR on purchases and balance transfers. APRs for similar business cards can reach up to 20.74% variable.
Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business drawbacks
- Annual fee. Capital One has a $0 annual fee for your first year. After that, the annual fee will be $95. With 2% cash back on your purchases, however, you can offset the annual fee by spending $5,000 a year.
- Late payment fees and interest. You’ll pay up to $39 for late payments. If you’re late twice within 12 billing cycles, Capital One may apply a penalty APR of 29.4% variable to your account. And you could be stuck with the penalty APR until you make 12 consecutive on-time payments.
- No travel rewards. Airfare, hotel, rental car and other travel purchases won’t earn you additional rewards.
Compare business credit cards
For a better idea of how the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business stacks up to other business cards on the market, select up to 4 credit cards and click Compare to look at them side-by-side. And if you’re a fresh business, check out the best business cards for startups.
What size business is the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business good for?
Given the strong unlimited cashback rate, the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business offers a great value for a business of nearly any size. What matters more than the size of your business is where your business spends and what financial tools your business needs. Businesses that don’t spend much on any one category of purchases — but spend enough to make the most out of the unlimited 2% cash back — could find this card rewarding. But if your business spends heavily on travel expenses, Internet, or on other office supplies, you might find more value in a card that offers higher earning rates on those purchases up to a certain cap, like the Bank of America® Business Advantage Cash Rewards.
Smaller businesses who want to earn rewards on purchases but also need to make initial investments into the business might find a business card that offers an intro APR more valuable, like the Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card.
Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business reviews and complaints
You’ll find customers online who claim that the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business affected their personal credit. Some complain about receiving their low credit limit and spotty customer service. Still others say they’re satisfied with the card’s unlimited 2% cash back and guidance with improving their overall financial health.
The Better Business Bureau has accredited Capital One with a rating of A as of October 2020. However, it sports a 1.13 out of 5 when it comes to a customer rating from an average of nearly 500 reviews. It fares little better on Trustpilot, earning a 1.4 rating out of 5 as of October 2020.
I got the card. Now what?
- Set up automatic cash back. Visit Capital One online or call its rewards center at 1-800-228-3001 to set up when you’ll receive cashback rewards. You can specify each calendar year or after you a specific threshold of $25, $50, $100 or $200.
- Avoid paying fees and interest. Avoid late fees of up to $39 by paying your balance on time and a potential penalty APR of 29.4% variable. Pay your statement in full in your grace period to avoid unnecessary interest on your purchases.
- Earn more through employees. Get additional cards for your employees to earn more cash back.
- Get help. For any questions, call Capital One’s customer service at 1-800-867-0904 or log in to your online account.
The Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business card helps you earn unlimited cash back as you buy the things your business needs. It offers a consistent 2% cash back on your purchases with no limits on how much you can earn.
But with so many business cards out there, do your research before making a decision. Compare other Capital One credit cards or look into other card providers to find one that best suits your business.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.