Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card review
Earn 3% cash back with this mighty strong student card.
- Get this card if you want a student card that earns bigger rewards than an average student card.
- Pick something else if you need an intro APR on purchases or balance transfers.
- Apply with a new or limited credit history or a fair score of 580 or higher.
3% cashback on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and eligible grocery stores, 8% on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023 and 1% on all other purchases
New to credit
Minimum Credit Score
|Rewards||3% cashback on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and eligible grocery stores, 8% on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023 and 1% on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||26.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||26.99% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||New to credit|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
If you’re not careful, you might mistake the Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card for a traditional cashback credit card — its rewards are that good. It earns 3% back on dining, entertainment, select streaming services and grocery stores (excluding superstores) and 1% back on everything else. It also earns 8% back on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023, and carries a 26.99% variable APR, all for no annual fee.
Generally speaking, many student cards on the market don’t offer the same features as a standard credit card. Instead, they usually serve as a tool for building credit and responsible spending habits – a set of credit card training wheels, you could say. If a student card offered any form of rewards, it was usually a lower-than-average rate or more limited by categories or spending caps.
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card throws that precedent out the window. At an unlimited 3% back in select categories, this student card earns great cashback rates, contested only by the Discover it® Student Cash Back and the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards for Students – both of which feature a quarterly cap to your earnings.
Despite the big earning rate, the SavorOne Student card manages to pack in plenty of other goodies. For example, keep your account in good standing and Capital One will consider your account for a credit line increase in six months. The card also offers price protection, cell phone protection, extended warranties on eligible purchases and even a concierge service — a feature you’d typically find on luxury cards.
The card still has a few of the trappings of a student offering. For example, the APR is a rather high 26.99% variable and you won’t find an intro APR offer on the card. But in all other respects, this card is well above the expected power of a traditional student card and should be on the radar of anyone looking for a student card.
How to apply for the Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card
To apply for the Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card:
- Select Apply now.
- Fill out the requested information, including your name, email address, phone number, company and number of employees, then select Continue.
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card benefits
- Earn unlimited cash back. Receive unlimited 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, select streaming services and grocery stores, and 1% back on everything else. An unlimited 3% category card is rare on a student card and SavorOne Student‘s main competitors possess similar earning rates, but cap your accelerated earnings each quarter.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this student card.
- Credit limit upgrade available. Capital One may consider your account for a credit limit increase. If you keep your account in good standing and make your payments on time.
- Price protection. Receive reimbursement on eligible purchases within 120 days if you find a lower price on that item.
- Cell phone protection. If you pay your phone bill with your credit card, you’ll receive cell phone coverage should your device get stolen or need repairs.
- Extended warranty. You’ll receive double the original manufacture or store warranty on eligible purchases.
- Car rental coverage. Eligible car rentals purchased with your card may be covered for physical damage and theft.
- Road assistance. You’ll have 24-hour access to a toll-free dispatch service should you need roadside help.
- Concierge service. The SavorOne Student card offers concierge services 24-hours a day from home and when you travel.
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card drawbacks
- High ongoing APR. The SavorOne Student Cash Rewards card’s APR starts at a higher than average 26.99% variable.
- No intro APR. Unlike a few competing student cards, such as the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards for Students, the Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card lacks an intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
Compare student credit cards
If this card isn’t right for you, compare other student credit cards out there. Consider factors such as whether or not the card can help you build credit, if it comes with an annual fee, if it has an intro APR and if it offers rewards on any purchases.
Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card customer reviews and complaints
Capital One has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1995 and has an A rating from the organization as of October 2021. Of the 7,000+ complaints, all have been closed to satisfaction.
The provider earns a 1.3 out of 5 customer rating on Trustpilot, with some customers complaining of the provider putting their funds on hold.
The Capital One SavorOne Student Cash Rewards Credit Card is an excellent addition to the student card market and perfect for those who want to earn unlimited rewards on categories most common to college students. But if you’re looking for an intro APR or more category flexibility, consider some competing student cards to find one that might better suit your preferences.