California Capital car insurance review Jul 2020
Customize coverage to your West Coast driving needs — local support included.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you enjoy personal service from a regional company.
- Pick something else if you live elsewhere or prefer online claims.
- West Coast drivers enjoy local, customized coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Customized coverage
- Safe driver rewards
- Local agents
- High ratings
- Available only in 5 West Coast states
- Lack of website info
- No online quotes
- Basic insurance products for bundling
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||StartSmart Teen Driver Discount, Driving Course Discounts|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
The regional California Capital offers substantial options to meet your auto insurance needs, with local agents to boot. But it’s best for the basics: You can’t bundle as many specialty types of insurance as with bigger companies.
California Capital offers a wide variety of auto coverage options, backed by high business and financial ratings. Even though you can’t get a quote online, you’ll have the personal support of local agents. But you’ll need to look elsewhere if you don’t live in one of the five states it services or if you have specialty insurance needs.
What car insurance coverage does California Capital offer?
California Capital offers standard protection you need to hit the road:
- Bodily injury liability. Pays expensive medical bills for passengers in your car and other drivers and passengers involved in an at-fault accident.
- Property damage liability. Gives other people involved enough money to cover vehicle or property damage.
- Collision. Pays for the necessary repairs for your own vehicle after an accident.
- Comprehensive. Covers less common accidents, like hail, flooding, theft or vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Covers accidents in which at-fault drivers can’t pay their share of the damage.
- Personal injury protection. Covers accident injuries, including medical bills, income loss, loss of services and even funeral expenses.
What extra benefits and add-ons does California Capital offer?
This company provides additional coverage for wider protection:
- Accident forgiveness. Safe drivers enjoy a break from surcharges resulting from their first accident after a claims-free stretch.
- New car replacement. Replaces your new car after a total loss accident at its MSRP value.
- Better car replacement. Take that new car replacement a step further so that you get a newer car than the one you previously owned.
- Name brand parts replacement. Get the best parts out there when your car is in need of repairs, no skimping to save costs.
- Roadside assistance. Opt for a helping hand when your car’s in need of minor repairs, such as a tire change, battery jump or towing up to 100 miles. This coverage applies when you add this and comprehensive to your policy.
- Rental car reimbursement. Cover your transportation needs, even when your car is in the shop for accident repairs.
- Glass repairs. Get your broken windshield taken care of, even if you need a mechanic to come to you.
- Umbrella. Protect yourself above your car or home insurance policy for bodily injury, property damage and court fees.
What discounts can I get with California Capital?
The company includes several discounts to benefit its customers:
- Multicar. Cover all the cars you own under one policy.
- Safe driver. Keep the roads safe and your premium down at the same time.
- Safety features. Install antilock brakes and antitheft devices for a deal.
- Bundling. Take care of multiple insurance — like home or renters — with California Capital.
- Homeowner. Get rewarded just for owning your home.
- Good student. Keep up those grades for extra savings that reward your responsibility.
- Customer loyalty. Save by sticking with California Capital for years to come.
Pros and cons of California Capital car insurance
- Customized coverage.Cover your needs with protection that fits your lifestyle — a plus for a regional company.
- Safe driver rewards. Staying safe on the roads gets perks here.
- Local agents. Choose a preferred agent near you to work with.
- High ratings. Customers appreciate its overall business practices and financial strength.
- 5 states only. California Capital serves the West Coast states of Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
- Lack of website info. You won’t find many details about its auto coverage on its site.
- No online quotes. You must call a representative or speak with your local agent directly.
Alternatives to California Capital
How to apply for California Capital car insurance
To apply for California Capital, talk to a local agent near you.
- Go to the California Capital website and click Find an agent.
- Enter your ZIP code or city, and view the list of agents in your area.
- Contact your preferred agent to discuss your car insurance needs.
What info do I need to apply?
Help the quoting process along with several key pieces of information:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license
- Driving record
- Make, model and license plate number
- Coverage needs
- Bank, credit or debit card for payment
How to make a claim with California Capital
Start the claims process online, over the phone or through your local agent:
- Mobile app. Submit accident details from your phone, including photos and an audio description.
- Phone. Call 801-267-5000 or 800-925-5177 and press Option 3.
- Local agent. Let your agent walk you through the process for submitting a claim by phone or in person.
Frequently asked questions about California Capital
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.