Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Travel Insurance Finder
You can have peace of mind by getting coverage for the unexpected.
Knowing that you’re covered in case of an emergency means you can travel with peace of mind. Accidental death and dismemberment travel insurance (AD&D) gives financial protection for you and your family should you die or be injured while traveling abroad. AD&D provides your beneficiaries with a lump sum payment for accidental injury as well.
Many travel insurance policies provide AD&D coverage including:
- Standalone accidental death and dismemberment.
- AD&D as part of a travel medical policy.
- AD&D as part of a comprehensive policy.
AD&D travel insurance provides travelers with protection against accidents resulting in death or dismemberment. Insurers will usually cover certain conditions that manifest within a given period of time after an accident, like 90 days. That can be important in some cases. For example, vision loss could occur gradually following an accident. If it’s within the maximum coverage period, insurers should cover the medical costs. Coverage varies extensively, but situations that you could look out for in AD&D travel insurance generally covers:
- Accidental death.
- Repatriation. The return of your remains if you die outside of the country.
- Dismemberment where you lose one or both hands or one or both feet, or the loss of a thumb or index finger.
- Permanent and irrecoverable loss of audible communication.
- Loss of complete, permanent and irreversible sight in one or both eyes.
- Loss of complete, permanent and irreversible hearing in both ears.
- Paralysis if you become paralyzed within a year after an accident.
Are there additional coverage options?
Some AD&D providers will offer optional protection packages at an extra cost for sports and other dangerous situations. This kind of additional protection can cover injuries, illnesses and medical expenses resulting from certain sports and hazardous activities such as:
- Athletics, including organized amateur sports or club sports, or any other non-contact sporting activities done for interscholastic competition, recreation, leisure, entertainment or fitness.
- More extreme activities such as skydiving, bobsledding, downhill mountain biking, hang gliding, endurance activities, scuba diving and running with the bulls.
- War risk. If you’re traveling to a war-torn nation, you’ll be covered for loss of life or limb from an act of war in the area you purchased coverage.
What’s not covered?
While AD&D is designed to give you comprehensive accident insurance, there are many exclusions you should be aware of before you take out a policy, which may include:
- Medical problems arising from preexisting conditions.
- Hospital stays, treatment or supplies that weren’t recommended or approved by a medical physician.
- Medical expenses or treatment for injuries or illnesses incurred in connection to drug or alcohol abuse.
- Loss caused by your own, intentional self-inflicted injury including suicide and its attempts
- Intentional exposure to acts of war
- Any injury incurred while committing a crime according to the laws of the place where the accident happened.
- Emergency air transportation in the event of a hospital evacuation also may not be covered.
- Ongoing treatment following a set amount of time after the accident (like 30 days)
More guides on Finder
Compare cheap pet insurance
Compare the cheap pet insurance with low deductibles, coverage limits and plan features.
Assumption Life Insurance Review
Secure life insurance from this reputable provider to make sure you and your family are covered in an emergency.
Canada Protection Plan Life Insurance Review
Protect your family’s quality of life in the event of your death with life insurance products from this reputable provider.
Capital One car rental insurance
All Capital One Mastercard credit cards in Canada offer car rental insurance. Find out how this feature works and compare cards offering it here.
Brim World Mastercard review
Enjoy comprehensive travel and mobile phone insurance, and earn more rewards when you shop for deals in the Brim Marketplace.
Sun Life Go Term Life Insurance review
Sun Life Go Term Life Insurance can cover you up to $1,000,000 with guaranteed premiums and offers you coverage for a specific length of time.
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card review
Earn Aeroplan points when you spend money on your business with this premium credit card.
American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card Review
Earn accelerated Aeroplan points and enjoy a wide array of travel benefits and airport perks with this premium credit card.
American Express Aeroplan Card Review
Earn Aeroplan points and enjoy a number of travel perks with this loyalty charge card.
Car loan insurance
Worried about defaulting on your new vehicle? Get car loan insurance to make sure you’re protected if you can’t make your payments.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.