The Personal Auto Insurance review
Find out how you can sign up for an individual or group car insurance policy with this well-known provider.
You could be eligible for special discounts if you’re a member of a group that’s affiliated with The Personal Auto Insurance.
The Personal offers car insurance with exclusive discounts to groups from certain organizations (such as unions, companies and universities). It offers these policies at discounted rates to eligible members. It also offers individual policies to non-members – though these policies won’t qualify for group discounts.
Find out what type of insurance you might be able to lock in with this specialized provider, and get a free quote to find out how much you’ll have to pay to insure your vehicle each month.
What is The Personal Auto Insurance?
The Personal Auto Insurance is a reputable insurance company that’s best known for offering discounted group policies across Canada. In order to qualify, you need to belong to a group that has a partnership agreement with The Personal. From there, you’ll get special rates and exclusive discounts for being a member of that group.
You can also apply for individual insurance if you’re not a part of an affiliated group. The only issue is that you’ll have to pay more for your insurance, and you may not qualify for the same benefits. In this situation, it might make sense to apply with multiple lenders to make sure you’re still getting the best deal possible.
What groups are affiliated with The Personal car insurance?
There are a number of major companies and organizations affiliated with The Personal. All you need to do to find out if your group qualifies is enter the name of your employer or association into The Personal’s database to see if your group is an affiliated partner. You’ll then have to select which province you’re from to get quotes with exclusive discount rates.
You may be eligible for group rates if you fall into the following categories:
- You’re an employee of a major company or a member of a union
- You belong to a professional or alumni association
- You’re an employee or a student at a university
- You’re a member of a retirement group
What types of insurance does The Personal offer?
The Personal offers many different types of car insurance. The coverage that makes the most sense for you will depend on personal factors such as what type of car you drive and what your driving history looks like.
The insurance you’ll automatically get with every quote includes the following:
- Liability insurance. Makes sure you’re covered if somebody sues you for damages in an accident that’s deemed to be your fault.
- Accident benefits. Pays for your medical expenses and other costs that might arise if you or your passengers are injured in an accident.
- Uninsured automobile coverage. Protects you in the event that you get into an accident with an uninsured or unidentified driver.
- Direct compensation. Covers you for damage to your vehicle if you’re not at fault in an accident (only in certain provinces).
Collision or comprehensive insurance
You may want to add additional coverage to protect your vehicle in the event that it gets damaged or stolen. This coverage is only mandatory if your vehicle is leased or financed.
- Collision. Covers your costs if you need to repair or replace your vehicle after a collision.
- Comprehensive. Pays for damage caused by non-collision-related incidents such as theft, vandalism, fire, falling objects, lightning or impact with an animal.
Can I purchase additional coverage if I want more protection?
The Personal offers a number of insurance extras that you can add into the mix for extra peace of mind. These include the following:
- Family insurance. Provides additional protection for everyone on your policy in the event of injury or death caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- New vehicle protection. Protects your vehicle against depreciation for up to five years after you buy it.
- Damage to non-owned cars. Covers your expenses in the event that you damage a short-term rental or borrowed car anywhere in Canada or the US.
- Transportation replacement. Pays for alternate transportation if your vehicle is no longer driveable after a loss or damage covered by your policy.
- $0 deductible coverage. Lets you file and process a claim without having to pay a deductible.
- Claim forgiveness. Maintains your premiums at the same rate after you get into your first at-fault accident.
- Worry-free package. Combines several types of additional insurance into a package deal that includes roadside assistance.
The Personal car insurance bundles
You may be able to save up to 5% on The Personal Auto Insurance and up to 20% on The Personal property insurance when you insure both your car and home as a package deal. You’ll also only have to pay one deductible in the event that your car and home are damaged in the same incident. You may also qualify for a discount if you insure multiple vehicles at one time.
What do customers say about The Personal auto insurance?
The Personal Auto Insurance isn’t very well-reviewed online, though this seems to be the case for many insurance providers. For example, as of July 6, 2020, it only has a rating of 1.6 out of 5 stars on the InsurEye review site (out of 131 reviews).
In particular, customers seem particularly displeased with the poor level of customer service provided by the company. They also complain that claims can take a very long time to process and are not dealt with professionally in some cases.
Benefits and drawbacks of The Personal Auto Insurance
- Online quotes. You can apply for a quote online quickly and easily by filling in some simple personal information.
- Group discounts. You could be eligible for special discounts if you’re a member of a group that’s affiliated with The Personal Auto Insurance.
- Additional savings. You may be eligible for additional savings depending on your age, lifestyle and driving habits.
- Ajusto program. You can sign up to track your driving through the Ajusto app to qualify for discounts on your insurance after 100 days.
- 24/7 claims service. You’ll be able to call at any time of day or night to speak to an agent about your insurance policy or claim requirements.
- Mobile app. You can change your personal information and manage your policies online with The Personal mobile app.
- Quotes aren’t guaranteed. You won’t be guaranteed to get the price you’re quoted, and you have to call an agent to get your insurance set up.
- No in-person service. It’s not possible to go into a The Personal branch location to discuss your car insurance needs or make a claim.
- Not available in some provinces. You won’t be able to get this insurance in provinces like BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (where car insurance is provincially regulated).
- No individual discounts. You won’t qualify for the same low rates if you don’t belong to a group that’s affiliated with The Personal.
- Slow claims processing times. Many customers complain that it takes several months for The Personal car insurance to process claims.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for The Personal car insurance coverage, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have a valid Canadian driver’s licence
- Own the vehicle you wish to insure
- You may also need to fulfill additional criteria based on which province you live in.
How to apply
If you want to apply for The Personal Auto Insurance, you just need to follow these simple steps.
- Visit The Personal car insurance website to submit an application for a quote online.
- Provide the necessary documentation – such as a valid driver’s licence and proof of purchase for your vehicle.
- Get verified and work with The Personal to negotiate the terms of your car insurance if you meet the eligibility requirements.
How to contact The Personal Auto Insurance
You’ll be able to call The Personal on its toll-free customer support number during normal working hours. You can also file a claim at any time day or night if you need to report an accident. If you’re not in a rush or you can’t get through on the phone, you can also send The Personal an email or mail in a request through Canada Post.
Compare other free car insurance quotes online
The Personal Auto Insurance offers affordable rates to members of affiliated groups. You can also qualify for individual policies, though your rates won’t be as low. No matter what coverage you want, this provider lets you take advantage of a number of different forms of insurance and multiple discounts. Find out more about how you can get a policy and sign up today to insure your next vehicle.