TD car insurance review
- Online Claims
- Discounts Available
- Roadside Assistance
- Accident Forgiveness
Looking to insure your new or used vehicle? TD Bank offers personal liability and comprehensive car insurance to fit just about every financial situation. Find out what kind of coverage you might be eligible for as well as what's covered under each plan.
Quick application. It's easy to apply for a quote in a few minutes by filling out some simple personal information in the online application.
Many coverage types. TD offers basic and comprehensive insurance to fit every budget and lifestyle.
Additional add-ons for special protection. It's possible to pay more to get a handful of extras like first-claim forgiveness and car rental insurance.
Flexible deductible. You get to decide how much you want to pay for your deductible, which controls how much you'll pay for your monthly premiums.
Easy claims process. All you need to do to file a claim is launch the online claims process and send in the necessary paperwork.
Many discounts. There are quite a few ways to save money on your TD auto insurance when you know where to look for discounts.
No online pricing. There's no pricing information available online so you'll have to request a quote to find out how much you'll pay.
High cost for extras. Your monthly premiums will go up for every type of additional coverage you add to your policy.
Some exclusions apply. There's no fool-proof policy that covers every risk possible so there's always a chance you won't be covered for a particular situation.
Mixed customer reviews. While TD has some positive feedback online, many customers seem unhappy with the level of customer service provided.
What is TD car insurance?
TD car insurance is offered by TD Bank, one of the Big Five banks in Canada. This insurance is designed to protect you and your vehicle in the event of a collision. You can get either basic or comprehensive coverage with the chance to add extra insurance options on where you see fit. These include claim forgiveness and car rental insurance, among other things.
The price you’ll pay for TD car insurance will depend on a number of factors. These can include your age, driving record, the make and model of your car and what type of coverage or deductible you want.
What types of TD car insurance are there?
TD offers many coverage options depending on what you want to protect against.
- Third-party liability. Covers the cost of repairing another driver’s vehicle or paying for their health claim if you hit them in an accident.
- Collision. Pays for the costs of repairing or replacing your vehicle after a collision and covers the other driver’s medical and maintenance expenses as well.
- Comprehensive. Protects your vehicle in the case of damage due to falling objects, vandalism, fire, theft, natural disasters or civil disobedience.
- All perils. Combines collision and comprehensive insurance and provides increased theft protection.
- Specified perils. Narrows down coverage to include only specific perils based on what you’re most concerned about protecting against.
- Direct compensation. It covers damages to your car to the extent at which you are not at fault in a collision.
- Uninsured and unidentified automobile. Covers medical costs and damage if an uninsured driver is at fault.
- Accident benefits. Medical and other expenses you are entitled to receive are covered.
Are there any special add-ons available?
You can get a couple of optional extras if you want to bolster your existing coverage with TD auto insurance.
- Replacement costs. Get the full replacement value of your car if it is lost due to theft or extreme damage.
- Rental vehicle coverage. Covers damage or towing for any vehicle you rent in Canada or the US.
- First claim forgiveness. Gives you forgiveness for your first at-fault accident so that your premiums stay low.
What exclusions do I need to know about?
You’ll need to keep certain exclusions in mind that have the potential to void your policy. These include the following:
- Illegal activities. You won’t be able to process your claim if you get into a collision while doing something illegal, like drinking and driving.
- Failure to report an accident. You could lose out on coverage if you don’t make your claim within the timeframe specified in your policy.
- Unapproved use. You won’t be able to claim accidents that happen while you’re driving for work if you don’t specify that your vehicle is used for commercial purposes.
- Lack of routine maintenance. You might not be able to make a claim if your accident is due to a preventable loss due to improper or insufficient maintenance.
- Fraudulent losses. You won’t be reimbursed for any fraudulent claims that you make and could even face legal consequences if fraud is discovered.
Can I get any discounts on my TD car insurance?
Potentially, yes! Check with a TD agent to see what cost-saving options are currently available to you. For example, you may be able to save money on your car insurance if:
- You bundle your insurance. You can get discounts on your premiums if you pair your car insurance with another type of TD insurance.
- You insure multiple vehicles. You’ll save money on your TD car insurance if you insure all of your vehicles with TD.
- You have a hybrid or electric vehicle. You’ll be able to get money back if you own or lease an eco-friendly vehicle and insure it with TD.
- You pay a higher deductible. You can earn discounts on your TD car insurance if you choose to pay a higher amount if you have to initiate a claim.
- You have a good driving record. You’ll shave money off your premiums if you maintain a clean driving record.
- You drive a low-risk vehicle. It will cost you less each month if you drive a vehicle that’s inexpensive or well-rated for safety.
What do customers say about TD car insurance?
TD Canada Trust is seen as a reputable Big Five bank in Canada, providing a full suite of financial services to millions of Canadians each year. That said, it tends to get low reviews on independent insurance review sites like InsurEYE and RateLab.ca.
While a handful of customers offer positive feedback related to the price of TD’s home insurance, many seem unhappy with the level of customer service provided. There are also several complaints about long wait times to speak to an agent as well as long processing times for claims (if they get approved at all).
How to apply for TD car insurance
If you’ve considered all your options and you want to go ahead with TD auto insurance, you can follow a couple of steps to get started.
- Use the online application to provide personal information like your name, email address, proof of ID and relevant documents.
- Review and submit your application.
- Get verified and negotiate the terms of your car insurance with TD.
How to contact TD
It’s easy to contact TD by phone or email if you want to speak to an agent about your plan. Just make sure to have your personal information and policy number on hand for faster service.
You can also visit TD’s online app, MyInsurance, to get information about your coverage and exclusions. This online app lets you review your billing details, modify your payment plan, view previous claims and chat with a licensed adviser about your policy.
Compare other free car insurance quotes online
TD Bank offers a full suite of car insurance products to fit every budget. Find out what you need to do to apply for TD auto insurance online and submit your request for a quote today to learn how much you’ll have to pay for coverage.