Sun Life Financial life insurance
Learn about the range of Sun Life insurance policies and how they compare with those from other Canadian insurers.
Sun Life Financial is one of Canada’s largest insurance companies. It offers a comprehensive suite of policies, including life, critical illness, disability and business insurance. Sun Life was founded over 150 years ago in Montreal and now operates in North America, Europe and Asia. It is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario.
What insurance coverage options does Sun Life Financial offer?
Sun Life Financial offers a wide range of individual and group insurance products. Group insurance refers to products or policies you may have through your employer. We will focus on the individual insurance products Sun Life offers. Below are the main categories of Sun Life Financial products.
- Quotes online. You can get basic quotes for some types of Sun Life Financial products like term life insurance online, although in many cases you may have to contact an adviser to get more detailed information and finalize the purchase.
- Coverage across Canada. No matter where you live in Canada, Sun Life Financial products are available for purchase. That said, you may not always have access to an adviser nearby.
- High credit ratings. Sun Life is rated AA (very strong) by Standard & Poor’s and Aa3 by Moody’s, two well-known credit rating agencies that measure companies by how prepared they are to meet financial liabilities.
- Tools and resources. The Sun Life website has a well-stocked section of articles and tutorials that explain the insurance industry and explore other personal finance topics. There are also numerous online tools such as insurance calculators to help determine how much coverage you may need.
- No homeowner insurance: Sun Life does not offer homeowners insurance products.
- Can’t file all claims online: If you bought your insurance through an adviser, which in many cases you need to do, you can’t necessarily file your claims online. You need to contact your adviser and initiate the process through him or her.
- Featured in the Corporate Knights’ 2023 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World.
- Named one of the Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada in 2023 by Corporate Knights.
- Included in the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index in 2022.
Benefits and drawbacks of Sun Life insurance
Sun Life Awards
Frequently asked questions about Sun Life insurance
More guides on Finder
Emma Life Insurance review
Find the best life insurance policy for your family when you compare providers with this innovative online platform.
Canada Protection Plan Life Insurance review
Protect your family’s quality of life in the event of your death with life insurance products from this reputable provider.
PolicyMe Life Insurance
Save money and get easy approval when you apply for life insurance coverage with this reputable online provider.
Life Insurance Through PolicyAdvisor
Get big savings on your premiums when you use this digital platform to compare life insurance quotes.
RBC Life Insurance review
Check out the life insurance policies and products RBC offers to see if one’s right for you.
The Co-operators Life Insurance review
Discover how The Co-operators life insurance offers Canadians affordable protection.
BMO Life Insurance review
Discover how BMO life insurance offers Canadians flexible and affordable life insurance packages.
Empire Life Insurance review
Discover how Empire Life insurance offers Canadians affordable protection for the duration of their lives.
Manulife Life Insurance review
Learn about insurance policies and products Manulife offers.