Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Find the best way to send money to Zimbabwe
Learn how to send money to Zimbabwe from Canada in our step-by-step guide.
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to family, friends or businesses in Zimbabwe (or even to your own overseas bank account)?
Don't head straight to your Canadian bank – compare specialist money transfer services instead. They nearly always offer better ZWL exchange rates and lower fees, so for the same amount of Canadian dollars you send, your recipient will receive more Zimbabwe dollars.
Of the companies we've compared, Remitly is among the cheapest, with competitive exchange rates and fees starting from $1.99. Need a really fast transfer? Remitly can get money to your recipient in Zimbabwe within an hour.
Best ways to send money to Zimbabwe from CanadaThe best way to send money to Zimbabwe depends on your payment method, how you want your money to be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Online money transfer provider. When buying Canadian dollars or Zimbabwe dollars money transfer specialists typically offer better rates and cheaper fees than a local bank.
- Bank transfer. Bank transfers are an easy way to send money to Zimbabwe but they charge extra for the convenience and are often slower than other methods.
- Cash pickup. If you need your money to arrive fast, cash pickup gives your recipient instant access to the money you've sent when they collect it from their agent location in Zimbabwe.
- Mobile wallet. Essentially an electronic wallet service, mobile wallets allow users to store, send and receive eligible currencies using their phone, often with fees attached.
- Prepaid phone credit. Specifically used to top up a recipient's prepaid mobile phone plan, prepaid phone credit is usually added instantly or within a few minutes.
Compare the best money transfer companies to send money to ZimbabweUse our table to compare the best money transfer companies to send money to Zimbabwe. You can compare deposit and receiving options, fees and transfer speeds, then click the "Go to site" button when you've found the best one to get your money to Zimbabwe.
Cheapest way to send money to Zimbabwe
Bank transfers are typically the cheapest way to get your money to Zimbabwe. Remitly and WorldRemit have some of the lowest bank transfer fees of the brands we've compared.When you're hunting down the cheapest ways to send money to Zimbabwe, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer. This has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your Canadian bank, some money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is to add a margin to the mid-market CAD/ZWL exchange rate .
Some providers may charge the mid-market rate but add fees on top. Others may have very low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many Zimbabwe dollars your recipient will end up with.
Fastest way to send money to Zimbabwe
Many online providers can offer transfers to Zimbabwe within minutes, although you're likely to pay a premium for the convenience.Here are some of the fastest average transfer speeds to Zimbabwe:
- Remitly — within an hour
- WorldRemit — within an hour
Actual transfer times from Canada to Zimbabwe can depend on several different factors including transfer amount, payment method and currency.
Safest way to send money to Zimbabwe
The safest way to get your money to Zimbabwe is to use a provider registered with Canada's industry regulator, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada. All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in both Canada and Zimbabwe.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our extended reviews of each transfer service and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot and similar platforms.
Large money transfers to Zimbabwe
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to Zimbabwe, consider using a provider such as to benefit from its expertise in handling larger transfer amounts.Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers to Zimbabwe may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on CRA's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange (forex) tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the ZWL exchange rate you want.
- Account manager. Some money transfer providers assign a personal account manager who can help and advise you on your transfer needs.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, providers such as Remitly and WorldRemit can give you support over the phone.
How to send money to Zimbabwe from Canada
To send money to Zimbabwe, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.
Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to Zimbabwe. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.
You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.
Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Zimbabwean bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.
Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total Zimbabwe dollars your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.
Send your money transfer to Zimbabwe. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
How to choose the best money transfer companies to send money to Zimbabwe
When choosing a money transfer provider to send money from Canada to Zimbabwe, it's important to consider the cost, how you want your recipient to receive the funds and the turnaround time. Here are other features to review:
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. It is the best rate you can get. However, not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rate so compare the ZWL you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to Zimbabwe for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a Zimbabwean bank account or is cash or cell phone top-up a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Companies such as WorldRemit offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value and get your money to Zimbabwe faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, Remitly has a transfer limit of $60,000 while WorldRemit allows transfers up to CAD$4,000.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may offer a discount if you transfer more than a specific amount of Zimbabwe dollars.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to send money to China
Transferring CAD-CNY is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Canada to China.
Find the best way to send money to Haiti
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to Haiti? Services, rates and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Cameroon
Transferring CAD-XAF is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from Canada to Cameroon.
Find the best way to send money to Malawi
Looking for the best way to send money from Canada to Malawi? Services, rates and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Swaziland
Sending money to Swaziland from Canada? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to Barbados
Want to send CAD to Barbados? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
How to send money to Cuba from Canada
Bank wire transfers are convenient, but private money transfer services may be faster and less expensive.
Find the best way to send money to the US
Want to send CAD to the United States? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.